0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: al jazeera

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 09-Apr-03  @  09:40 AM     Edit: 09-Apr-03  |  09:42 AM   -   al jazeera

Zazza

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

The english version of the Al Jazeera website is online at the moment.. hacking and denial of service attacks have kept it offline for most of the last few weeks.

Interesting for those of you who want a different view of the war with Iraq. Surpisingly it is not any more biased/partisan than FOX news, maybe less so...

English - Al Jazeera

In fact some of it's reporting on protests in the West is more than you are going to get from mainstream media in those bastions of free speech and democracy...

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/38                 Date: 10-Apr-03  @  01:31 PM   -   RE: al jazeera

Zazza

Link?: Link

A fair and balanced analysis of 'Faux News'

A sample from 2001:

'One of Fox News Channel's favorite recent stories involved a newspaper ad that claimed African-Americans benefited from slavery, and owed America for the favor. The ad's author, conservative activist David Horowitz, claimed to be a victim of censorship and "political correctness" because a number of college newspapers refused to publish his ad, which argued against the idea of slavery reparations. Fox saw this as a major issue: Horowitz and his ad were mentioned at least 21 times on the network between March 6 and April 3. '

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/38                 Date: 10-Apr-03  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: al jazeera

Broken Silence

That really is terrible zazza...

I agree with you K...compensation would not be anything in the long run to us. But some of those retards dont deserve shit. I saw a little clip on MSNBC where they were "Interviewing" someone outside his home- A young iraqi man must have been in his 30's or something. And he said something along the lines of: you bastard americans, you killed my innocent wife and neighbor....

They failed to mention that they were at a restaurant that was obviously on top of a bunker where Sadaam was meant to be hiding...

Eat somewhere else if you know your ass is gonna be bombed!

Some of those casualties were their own fault..but we do owe compensation to alot of people.

Even if Fox news is terrible, comparing them to CNN MSNBC etc etc it is the most respectable by far (in my opinion, that is :P)

What you all think?

Message 13/38                 Date: 10-Apr-03  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: al jazeera

Zazza

Link?:  No link

It all depends what you want to hear I guess..

Fox is very conservative terribly biased towards the republican party, they have a ratio of about 5-1 republicans against democrats..

CNN at least have a statistical balance between the major parties... althought hey are quite happy to not report peace protests etc

People mostly will listen to things that reinforce their own point of view I guess..

The bottom line is that the media generally gets it wrong anyway... they don't check their facts, they allow editorial bias etc etc, they are in the pocket of their advertisers.. or prey to the political bias of the owners etc etc

My advice is to triple check everything you hear on the media.. then check it again, then take it with a pinch of salt..

Message 14/38                 Date: 10-Apr-03  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: al jazeera

cheddar

Link?:  Link

I am always dissapointed to see guilt expressed as "I worked for everything i own, my dad worked to put me through school, if those good for nothing bums havn't got the will to succeed then they deservce to stay in the gutter."

Message 15/38                 Date: 14-Apr-03  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: al jazeera

Jock Munro

Thats pretty impressive though. From jazz vocalist to owning your own TV station. I wasnt that keen on his stuff though. Moonlighting theme was good.

Message 16/38                 Date: 16-Apr-03  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: al jazeera

Conscience

Compensation? I don't agree with that at all. Is it not true that Saddam put military installations amongst the civilian population, using them as human shields? I have not heard anything to lead us to believe otherwise. And anyways, helping them build a government for themselves a pretty good thing? I guess you can't please all the people all of the time.

Putting the past aside if we can (and thus questionable motives), is it a bad thing that Saddam was removed? Was there another way to do it?

I agree with Zazza regarding the news. I try to get my news from as many sources as possible. Every news outlet has it's biases - you just need to be able to sift through them. There's always 3 sides to the story - yours, mine, and the truth. Majors and independants. Like The Onion, bobfromaccounting.com, the Daily Show, etc. Now THAT'S great news. All kidding aside, if you look at how John Stewart reports the news, he's actually VERY insightful. You have to be able to see through the humor, though, there is SOO much truth to it.

Message 17/38                 Date: 17-Apr-03  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: al jazeera

psylichon

i'm convinced John Stewart IS zazza ;)

seriously, Comedy Central is showing some really hilarious, insightful programming nowadays. Between the Daily Show, The Chappell Show, and Trigger Happy TV (ok, not very insightful, but just plain funny)... I really don't need any other television.

psy

Message 18/38                 Date: 17-Apr-03  @  10:07 AM   -   RE: al jazeera

cheddar

raggy comments

" is it a bad thing that Saddam was removed? Was there another way to do it? "

Lets not bypass the fn point in search of the conscience salves. Would it have happened if there was no oil?, or Isreally interest , What happens now? What happens in previously liberated countries (what budget is there for Afghanistan rebuilding?) Who gives a f about countries without any resources (expecially those tapped out and abandoned by the west)

This movement of the argument is diversion, hot media ratings.---- All this is like the sweat of a freshl finished rapist, 24 stations with phone in polls - coming all over the ry. nobody asking the questions, especially not the fn journalists

"There's always 3 sides to the story - yours, mine, and the truth.", where is history, where is legislature? - the story doesn't exist until the telling, what do they want and why use that story, and don't forget, we forget so they can apply this logic at every event. GWB a nazi?, where did that come from?

Message 19/38                 Date: 17-Apr-03  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: al jazeera

cheddar

Independent Feb 16th, 2003

The war is over. Now these questions must be answered

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?
Where is Saddam?
What about the alleged links to al-Qa'ida?
How many Iraqi soldiers were killed and injured?
How many civilians were killed and injured?
How many Allied casualties?
Did the Allies stick to the Geneva Conventions?
Why did Saddam's forces crumble?
Was the war illegal?
What side deals were made?
Who is in the 'coalition' and what did they do?
Where is the anti-war alliance now?
Is the UN relevant any more?
Do Iraqis feel liberated?
Why did so many journalists die?
Who was really responsible for the two marketplace bombings?
Is there a humanitarian crisis?
Are the contracts to rebuild Iraq all going to White House cronies?
Is this the first step to reordering the Middle East?
What about North Korea?
What happened to the human shields?
Has public opinion changed since the war began?
Is Ahmed Chalabi just a crooked US stooge?
What are the chances of an Iranian-style Shia revolution?
How long will American troops stay in Iraq?
Has the Rumsfeld doctrine been vindicated?
Was it really all about Israel?
Or was it about oil?
Or was it about the 2004 presidential election?
Is the world a safer place?

Message 20/38                 Date: 17-Apr-03  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: al jazeera

Broken Silence

my name is hhhhheeennniifer loooppezz and i like tacoos and buuurrritos

don't tell me you dont watch southpark psy!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum