0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 18-Aug-02  @  10:58 AM   -   DJ´s get all defensive about this

TIC

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

well i have made electronic music for about 4 years (little more actually) and been into the music for about 6 years. And now i have decided that i have to learn how to dj so that i can offer both a live show and a dj set (prolly gets more gigs) but since i can´t really afford two decks and a real mixer i decided to use what i the stuff i already have ie my laptop. So i got myself a copy of Traktor (liked that software best) and started to learn how to mix. after about six months i could put together a pretty decent set (not just my opinion a guy i know who has been dj @ docklands also thougth so) well anyway i have gotten a lot of shit from diffrent dj´s who almost refuse talking to me about dj stuff just because i use a laptop. Some say it is to easy to learn how to dj on them (automatic beat matching automatic bpm calculation automatic syncing of bass drums on tracks) So i lied about my mixtape to a some people (said i had made it with two decks when it actually was just vinyls that i had recorded and then encoded to mp3) and then a got a much much warmer welcome until i told them that it was a mp3 set with Traktor ofcourse then they all claimed to have heard somthing wrong with it. Can some one plz explain why dj´s act this way?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/62                 Date: 20-Aug-02  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

Well i cant argue with the fact that djs give me credit for the music that i make. Infact its mostly from djs that i get praise at all for my music but thats beside the point i am trying to make here
(well if the shit rocks the crowd and u claim to have made it all by yourself when this is not actually the case at least i think its wrong people should get cred when they deserve it i even give cred to the people that make the presets i use on my nordrack2)

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/62                 Date: 20-Aug-02  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

the last part of my message was OT just so u know

Message 13/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  06:18 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

dissonance

Link?: Link

Don't fucking lump me with "that" group.

It's not my fault that you shouldn't call yourself a djay, if you use traktor...and only traktor. Sorry. That's just the way it is. You aren't playing records, you are not djaying. Like I clearly stated before, you ARE mixing music and can employ alot of the same principles...planning your set...beat matching. I'm not trying to sound like an elitist or some shit...it's just that if you aren't playing records...you're not djaying.

I have the utmost respect for the cats that pump out the tracks that I play. I get a copy of pongoid's tracks when they come out on vinyl. I always make sure that when anyone asks what that was that I was playing, I let them know. Ohh that was my friend Pongoid, or that was Delay 04. Or that was Abe Duque's new shit...Joell Mull. Whoever.

Now I saw Ape play in Springfield MA...some fucking kid came up to me and asked..."Hey, what's that?" Now this is with two 15x20 screens with a projection of Obis and Ape playing with their gear, clearly visible on them. Fucking retard. "Well, they're not playing records."

dissonance

Message 14/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  07:22 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

well then i would like to talk with the guy who is resposible for me not being able to call myself dj when using traktor then cuz if it is not u dissonance then who is it?
and if i get myself a record player and a mixer and hook that up to my lappy with traktor would i become a dj then ?

Message 15/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  09:38 AM   -   DJ="Disk" jockey

Alan

Disk meaning records. While I agree, as long as you move a crowd, I don't care if you are beating 2 sticks together, you are doing a good job. The point they are making is, part of the "art" of Djing involves beat matching 2 records, cds, etc. and mixing levels and Eqs of each to create a seamless sound. If a computer program is doing all of that for you and you are just picking what tracks to play, you are taking most of the process away. Not that it is right, wrong, better, worse, good, or bad. Just is.
Don't care what people think, and enjoy it.

Message 16/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

since there is no real AI yet the only thing this program is capable of is to beat match (ie put the base transients on top of each other) and this does not even work very well. As for the mixing levels they can be automated but this is easier to do your self. But of course the eqs are not. And who would like automate them anyway. My point is that i could do it exactly the same way as any normal cd dj but i also have a few extras (like automatic beat matching) but then that would say that what differentiates me from a "real dj" is that he has "real records" and that he beatmatches his records
have i summed u up

Message 17/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  01:40 PM     Edit: 21-Aug-02  |  01:43 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Steve Roughley

I know many Djs and producers alike, and I can tell you one thing for sure. When any artist, DJ or producer, gets defensive about new and different s#@t comming on the scene it is partly that they are closed-minded, but mainly because they feel threatened, perhaps that their talent or favorite form of art (i.e. DJing with truntables) is at risk or something. This is completely understandable and I don't hold it against them. But it does look bad when there are other artists who are very open minded about new ideas.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 18/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  02:26 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TiC

well as i said i get defensive when people tell me that they have made a tune with say e-jay and that is because i know that all they have made is a remix of some loops that some one else made (ie not like some clever samplists but that is a whole topic in itself) and since those types of software is not exactly known for great flexibility u know they havent relly done something original at all. But with djing software like Traktor i am doing exactly the same stuff as u (or at least could do) its just a little easier to get into. But some stuff u can still only do with the "real deal" like scratching or advaced techno and house mixing (this can of course be done it just is not any easier with Traktor than with turntables) so i see no real difference

Message 19/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  03:05 PM     Edit: 21-Aug-02  |  03:06 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

Steve Roughley

I don't worry about e-jay users. I don't think you can view e-jay as a production application. It is basically a mixing tool for pre-produced audio. Kind of like DJing (similar concept), hence the name.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 20/62                 Date: 21-Aug-02  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: DJ´s get all defensive about this

TIC

well i think u missed my point but share my opinion
the point was sometimes it is okay to get all defensive when some one is actually taking something away from u but i cant understand what it is that i am taking away from the djs except the fact that i do not have to work as hard to learn the basics of mixing techniques (the technical side of things like beat matching and cheking my levels) its like i should start to critizise (spelling?) some one for not using a hardware setup like me (it is easier to make music with softwar but impossible to play it live so thats why i stick to hardware and reaktor3 but now there is ableton too)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 62 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum