0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Virus Low End Good?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 26-Jul-02  @  10:12 AM   -   Virus Low End Good?

Drop

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I have a virus b but nothing to compare it to, hence my question.

I've been reading various stuff on the web about the Virus. People really praise the filters and talk about how good the Virus is for pads and leads.

However, they reckon that the bass making capabilities aren't that great. Apparently the bass patches lack a "certain warmth and low end" cos the Osc are only OK.

To be honest, as I've said, I've nothing to compare it to in depth. However, I can't seem to get that real thick housey bass sound with it. Probably just me though.

I've looked at a Pulse and SH101 and they sound cool. Am I over analysing again? :-)

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/55                 Date: 29-Jul-02  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Drop

I can get some okish bass sounds out of my virus for sure. But everyone I've spoken to has said that they use a virus for leads and pads and either a pulse or a novation A station for bass.

A virus just don't go that low apparently.

God I'm confused. ;-(

Ps I have used my ears but maybe me using the virus for bass is why I can't quite seem to get that thick bass sound I hear in all my favourire house producers records.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/55                 Date: 29-Jul-02  @  03:30 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

j-type

Link?:  Link

IMO the best bass starts with the oscillators. Just tuning a Pulse osc down low gives you good bass, try opening the filter fully, turning all modulations off and listening to the oscs in isolation. Then do the same with any VA and see what you think.

Bass is the foundation of a track, oscillators are the foundation of a bass tone (unless you're into self-osc res subs) so it's a good idea to use the best oscs you can. Despite its other strengths the Virus never struck me as being good in the osc dept, 'course you can use the Analog Boost to thicken the lows up and other stuff. The Virus can do good bass, but the Pulse can do killer bass. AND it can do it easily, just tune an osc low and you're away.

I also think the A/K-station have very good oscs, and the Waldorf Q series oscs are fantastic. A Micro-Q Lite would be a good alternative to the Pulse, have the bass piping out of one output and use the other 5 for god-knows-what

Message 13/55                 Date: 29-Jul-02  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Drop

Thanks guys. This is so useful. People have recommended me 3 units that they believe are the best for bass. They are:

Waldolf Pulse - £200

A Station - £200

Korg MS2000 -£400

Obviously the Korg is out of my price range so its between the Novation and the Pulse. I'm interested in the best sound and I think the Pulse pipps the post. Any last important points before I split with my hard earned?

Message 14/55                 Date: 29-Jul-02  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

influx

Link?: Link

BULLSHIT!

virus does GREAT bass.

EVERY bass sound Ive made for the past 3 years was on the virus. some resampled, but still the virus.

and Ive heard my shit in clubs on large systems. BASS.

NOT the same as an analog, of course. Not saying analog is better or worse, just different.

honestly...I think you need to focus more on programming the virus, and less on worrying what other people say, and even LESS on thinking about buying new gear  Youve got a very powerful synth there...and it WILL go quite low...gut rumble low. Of this I am 100% positive, and the people that said it wont are HIGH.

have you tried the analog boost effect? Used sparingly that shit really warms stuff up.

and the sub osc? or...have osc 2 tuned 12semis below osc one with sync OFF?

dude...I dont know, but...I think you need to get into it a little further

Message 15/55                 Date: 29-Jul-02  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Drop

Your probably right Influx, I do need to get into programming a little more maybe. The thing is though, I've tried. For Pads and leads its perfect.

However, for the bass end I'm finding it hard to coax a real thick housey bass out of it. Our styles are different and maybe the virus suits your breaks style better.

I've tried de-tuning, chorus, phasing, layering, etc. To me, its kinda cool in the real deep bottom end but as far as low mid (thickness) presence goes, I'm not convinced.

I mean for example, the closest patch I've found to what I want is the reso bass patch (A45) but as I've said, I can't hear the thickness there, even after heavy editing.

I'll try your tips again tonight but I've already tried. I'll try again though.

I agree that its important to know your synth inside out and I could probably do better programming it but something is telling me that I ain't ever gonna get a proper housey bass out of it.

The 60-100hz seems fine but I want real low mid thickness.

Ps Influx, don't dare post a WAV of a real thick housey bass you've managed to program on the Virus and embarass me! ;-)

Message 16/55                 Date: 29-Jul-02  @  07:30 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

99devils

Yeah, what he said. I'm not trying to insult you or your programming skills but really, you don't need a seperate machine for bass sounds. That's fucking ludicrous. The virus does great basses.

Also in addition to what Influx said, the saturation section can also add some meat to your sound, as can unison and sometimes a nice chorus. Layer your bass with another voice that uses a pair of sine waves detuned a bit, maybe an octave lower.

-Craig

PS - IMHO the Virus slays any sound you could ever get out of an MS2000. Pad, lead, bass, FX or otherwise.

Message 17/55                 Date: 29-Jul-02  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

influx

oh yeah, I meant no insult either. I hope it didnt sound that way!!!!

hell..I wouldnt know what a "house-y" bass was anyway...

but Ill see what I can come up with for a sound with good mid bass...

I can say this..I am 100% certain the sound is in there. Youll find it

Message 18/55                 Date: 30-Jul-02  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

milan

i“m no virus user, but when i heard Stefan“s "guess the synth" test, i thought virus kicked major ass among all those analog/digital/va synths. oh, and try compression and eq before you buy another synth!

Message 19/55                 Date: 31-Jul-02  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Breakerbox

if you cant thicken bass on the Virus or whatever... Why dont you try an outside fx soft or hard... Getting the big bottom is not that hard.. maybe eq it a bit or uf you use software for mixing you can use the bbe plugin or the quadrafuzz.. You dont need more gear.

Message 20/55                 Date: 31-Jul-02  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Drop

"I managed to upset some amoungst the Virus-owning community with my prevoius review, daring to suggest the bass end lacked depth. Happily I can report that with the additional oscillator, Unison mode and the Analogue Boost parameter, the Virus can now generate a speaker-shaking bass which would silence even the pickiest of critics" - Paul Nagle Sound on Sound Feb 2000.

(Ahem!) Thank you Influx and Craig for saying it like it is and saving me face and £220.

Ps Now for that thick, housey bass ;-)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum