0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Influx needs some help

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 23-Jun-02  @  10:56 AM   -   Influx needs some help

who else

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

OK here's the deal.

almost 2 years ago I worked on a track with this guy. Without breaking it down to numbers the work was mostly me. My studio, my engineering, MY time for the most part (I think he spent 2 maybe 3 days at my pad?)

so...every time he left, I would go back in and tighten shit up...cuz this guy wanted to put every single idea he ever had into ONE track...

eventually I said LOOK this is DONE for now, but I dont want it public.

he wanted otherwise but I said NO. Its not ready, my style isnt ready, the mix aint right blah blah blah

well, it turns out he went and got it released. Financed on his own (someone else apparently paid for it) and it has sold close to 500 copies(? not sure on the exact number)

I just got an email from a friend who pointed out that Release in Canada has it...which means it has gotten around, you know?

thing is..the guy changed the title, and my name is NOT on it AT ALL

he ing calls me "nflux" in the promo he sent out, says I've worked with Uberzone, etc...which is just wack.

I dont know what to do. Im not worried about money but the thought of someone slighting me in this way just makes me want to revert back to the old days where my fists were my means of communication

WHAT DO I DO? please help me before I just kick this dudes ass!!! I cant tell if he's truly a swindler or just not aware of what he is doing!!!!!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/45                 Date: 23-Jun-02  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

sitar

Link?:  Link

I'll be right over so you can help me put a track together.

I'd take the court system way. At least make a call to see what's involved and how your rights can be restored.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/45                 Date: 23-Jun-02  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

proximus

Link?: Link

Sorry to hear influx, I can imagine it must be frustrating. I'd try Steve's method first and if it doesn't work I would go kick the cheeky mother's head like bedwyr suggested :D

Anyway, I hope it works out for you, 'mate'

Message 13/45                 Date: 23-Jun-02  @  03:01 PM     Edit: 23-Jun-02  |  03:04 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

Steve Roughley

Even if he has made no money, he has breached the copyright laws that refer to ownership of intelectual property (IP). In other words he has stolen from you. Taking him to court or at least the threat of it might be pleasantly satisfying for you! And should teach him a lesson as well as getting your ownership rights sorted out!

You will not need to do very much yourself. Any material is instantly copyrighted as soon as it is fixed in some way (i.e. a final recording, music sheets on paper, etc). So if you can prove that you have ownership of the material (original MIDI files, etc.) then he has stolen from you and all that is left to do is speak to a solicitor. You should be able to get 15-30 minutes of free advice in which time I'm sure you will find it is a clear-cut case and it will get you in a lot less trouble than a fight!

Cheers!

Steve.

Message 14/45                 Date: 23-Jun-02  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

Steve Roughley

After my ordeal with copyright theft my solicitor sugested that one thing to do in the furture is, whenever I finish a track that I am completely satisfied with, record it to tape/CD and mail it to myself in a secure bag putting the stamps over the seal. When I get the package, I leave it unopened and this seals my copyright in stone if this ever happens again.

Steve.

Message 15/45                 Date: 23-Jun-02  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

xoxos

why don't you get your friend who does the record reviews to do a review of it, but fully crediting you, and perhaps giving the sordid details (readers *love* juicy details) (and perhaps mentioning your opinion of the track) right before you release something?? free advertising!

Message 16/45                 Date: 24-Jun-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

Brett

fuck him up!

Message 17/45                 Date: 24-Jun-02  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

influx

oh come on you guys! Do you really think I'm going to just go kick his ass?

I'm still trying to figure out if the guy was just overzealous or not. I have talked to him and will be checking his records out this week.

Im not going to "fuck him up" because then I am in the wrong and the law will look at ME. I have a record...nothing inside 10 years, but it will come up and I cant afford that shit.

Message 18/45                 Date: 24-Jun-02  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

damballah

thanks for not making me type the obvious.

Message 19/45                 Date: 24-Jun-02  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

influx

well then Damblahblah...what do you think?

Message 20/45                 Date: 24-Jun-02  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Influx needs some help

Mindspawn

You have two choices, legal or not so legal. If you want to do it legal, you sue. Not much any other way to look at... If you go the "not so legal" path, you can go lots o' different directions, all of which will do nothing for what's already been done. Like you beat the dog to a pulp... it dunna matter, he's already done what he's done. The beating ain't gonna change that. Now if you want to get out your frustration, personally I enjoy peeling someone's eyelids, but that's just me....

Me opinion? Forget about it. Maybe send him a clear cease and desist, but aside from that, it'll cost you more to stress over it than to just let it go. Sucks, but methinks you know it, eh?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum