0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: 99devils industrial stuff

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 07-May-02  @  02:49 PM   -   99devils industrial stuff

99devils

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Retribution has been added to my DT tracks section, or you can d/l a hi-fi version at the above link. This is a song I wrote a couple years ago and it never got fully finished. My latest project decided to dust it off and fix it up, so I'm sharing with you nice people   It's finally done!!

Feedback is requested.

-Craig

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/21                 Date: 08-May-02  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

frostbyte

Link?:  No link

drummers are ANIMALS   yes, i know how hard micing a drum is, i've seen some poor engineer pull a lot of hair. couldn't you muffle the hi-hat with some tissue ? i recall seeing it done on crash, but not on hi-hat. maybe the nut is a bit loose, it seems to spin a lot, kind of sizzly.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/21                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

99devils

Link?: Link

Yeah, it's my biggest beef with the recording, actually.. I will keep the tissue suggestion in mind, but I honestly think it's a performance issue. When I'm just standing in the room with him playing the hat is overly loud..

Unfortunately, we recorded ALL the drums for all the songs we have while we could get a room to record them in, so I'll be fighting this one for 7 more tracks   I'll probably have to end up programming volume envelopes to keep them quiet.

-Craig

Message 13/21                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

k

what do you have the drum-tracks on to mix?.... like what's the drum 'track-order' ??

if it's all mixed up, what about this idea.... take the drumtrack and copy it to a new track, roll off all the bottom etc & zone-in on the 'hats & cymbels' end and isolate it with some heavey Q'd eq.... then buzz over to the other drum track and roll the tops off or sidechain compress the fuck out of the top end, then combine the two, mebbe spread the hats out with some split stereo pan so they leave the center clear for the actual kit ??... and check FIRST after that to see what it's doing in mono.

The snare is pretty dead as a fart right now tho or is that cos you had to compromise cos of the hats?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/21                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:35 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  06:37 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

k

or get the drummer some finer hats, less heavy ones  

mind you, did you compress the drum mix or something cos when the hats come in they seem to flatten the est of the drums dynamics?? - that contributes to the lack of snap in the snare mebbe? - same with the rhythm guitar, seems to be flattened too much so it's not pumping with the kik?

how did you do it anyways?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/21                 Date: 08-May-02  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

99devils

I've got a kick, snare, and a pair of overheads, plus spot mics on the toms. They were compressed individually, and then the drum submix was run through a compander. The compander is probably causing what you're hearing.

The snare.. The drummer likes to hit the rim of the snare along with the head.. Depending on how much head/rim is on each hit, the volume of the hit varies hugely.. The snare got compressed to shit to even that out..

Still I think it's probably the compander on the drum submix that you're hearing. I'll try it without it and see if that helps.. Funny enough I thought it sounded less punchy without the compander.

I'm very interested in your feedback/assistance k.. This is only my 3rd attempt at recording any real instruments other than guitar, and I'm finding mixing to be way harder than mixing drum boxes and samplers  

-Craig

Message 16/21                 Date: 09-May-02  @  01:55 AM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

99devils

Link?:  No link

I just finished a new mix of the track.. That compander ed the drums to hell.. When I first put it on, it really made the drums leap out of the mix.. But after remixing I don't know why the I had it there.. I'll post the improved version tomorrow.

-Craig

Message 17/21                 Date: 09-May-02  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

99devils

The fixed mix is up at the above link (hifi only). I'll change my DT track as soon as I get the chance.

Feedback appreciated (again)..

-Craig

Message 18/21                 Date: 09-May-02  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

k

now it's all guitars... they just dominate more and the drums are less audible. everythings in the same frequency range.

Message 19/21                 Date: 09-May-02  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

99devils

There's a big issue with overlap between the guitars and synths, for sure.. I have tried as best I can to get them seperated, using EQ and panning.

Any tips?

-Craig

Message 20/21                 Date: 09-May-02  @  06:26 PM     Edit: 09-May-02  |  06:27 PM   -   RE: 99devils industrial stuff

k

oh wait up... have you tried mixing it with NO eq or fx??... just out of interest? - what s/w did you do this in anyways?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum