0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message                 Date: 03-May-02  @  11:49 PM   -   Roland - emulate or innovate?

panama

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

ever since the Super Saw was created with the JP-800 - dance music has changed... Ever since the Grooveboxes were created... It's now a household name.

is Roland still the innovater?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/73                 Date: 07-May-02  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

k

Link?:  Link

NI have just opened US offices!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/73                 Date: 07-May-02  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

sitar

Wow that's cool! I'll have to find out where. Probably not in nyc. I hope Absynth PC gets shipped over here soon. Maybe they brought some over on the boat with them.

Message 13/73                 Date: 07-May-02  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

xoxos

Link?: Link

is that why everythnig they've made since then has an 8 in the name?

Message 14/73                 Date: 07-May-02  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

influx

haha. trying to regain their youth!

Message 15/73                 Date: 07-May-02  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

99devils

Every piece of Roland gear I've played has bored me stiff..

Message 16/73                 Date: 10-May-02  @  05:05 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

errata

I used to have an XP80... it did what it was supposed to do and little else. The RPS triggering was buggy as hell but it was all right. Not very exciting.

Roland makes crap now. Nothing works as it should and it's all cheap! Don't even SAY 505 to me. I work with a guy who had one. He sold it and says one day he'll buy another, so he can piss on it! Terrible company with terrible products...

errata

Message 17/73                 Date: 11-May-02  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Brett

not to be racist, cause I am far from it, but the focus of asian producers of just about every product, has always been, make what exist better. they are not innovators but refiners of things. Their cars have a European flare, there electronics have always tried to match that of the american and German high-end products. their synths were reactionary to things being done by germans and americans. I think their designs are innovative; technology wise, but from a creative stand point they have always just been behind the true innivators. the Japanese made musical instruments a mass market thing, when before they were always a custom built thing.

roland stuff was , in my opinion the best stuff to ever be made for dance music, but it was never the first. They just took other ideas and refined them.

The groove stuff is all crap IMO. The filters on the 303,505, 305 are crap, and the sounds are stock pcm. They are notorius for hype. Roland sells hype, not quality equiptment like they used to.

Message 18/73                 Date: 13-May-02  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

swanofnever

hmm... well, i'd agree with you if it wasn't for the small fact that japan is the ONLY major "non-western" socio/political power.

i'd say that's pretty damn innovative -- too bad the "underdevelloped" countries receiving US "aid" aren't all as innovative.

Message 19/73                 Date: 13-May-02  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

realtrance

Hey Brett,

That was pretty racist and ignorant of you.

The Japanese beat the entire US auto industry _cold_ in the '70s and '80s by, er, making cars that, what, oh yeah: work. Quality control is still light years ahead on any Japanese car over the American equivalent, step inside one of each and if you can't tell diff. in quality you should, well, er, just go buy a Ford Exploder.

In the musical instrument/synthesis arena, Roland was doing high-quality modular synthesis while the rest of the world was still digging peat out of the bog to cook dinner with. Roland had stable oscillators long before that long-sought-for goal ever came to light elsewhere. Korg had many innovations as well. Yamaha, ditto. Can you say DX7? Where were all those brilliant American dim bulbs when the Japanese saw fit to license the work being done at Stanford?

And oh, er, forgot to mention, the Japanese are light-years ahead of us in supercomputing now.

As well as the fact that the Japanese have brought SIMD to the mass-market while the brilliant Americans are still struggling with segmented-memory Neolithic X86 architecture (PS2 vs. Xbox).

Jeez! what an ignorant comment you made there!

Try reading, you may find you enjoy it, even just as a part-time hobby.

rt

Message 20/73                 Date: 13-May-02  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

influx

realtrance..did you HAVE TO say racist? How the FUCK was what Brett said racist?

in many ways he is right. They are imitators (and they usually improve things drastically!)

but...damn...racist? how the hell did you come up with that? just because someone mentions a certain group and points out characteristics theyre racist?

give me a break

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 73 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum