0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 16-Apr-02  @  03:15 AM   -   DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Zink

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

www.ddx3216.com

This mixer seems really cool for the price - I was looking at an 01v, but now... Hmmm...

Anybody had a play with this thing?? Whadaya think??

Michael

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/66                 Date: 16-Apr-02  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Brett

on the tascam you get 24ch tdif, plus 8 ch of adat standard. and you can expand with additional adat or tdif. And it's only a few hundred more then the behringer without the adat. And it has a 96khz mode with 16channels, plus it supports a bridge card for internally linking two together as one mixer. The 01v uses spdif to daisy chain. The meter bridge for another grand is rediculous though. This is a great front end for any daw.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/66                 Date: 16-Apr-02  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

knowa

Link?:  Link

damn I hate mixing with the mouse...someday... dunno if behringer deserves thier reputation, but when I bought my 1202, the behringers mixers were a LOT nosier. but my mackie's got some dead channels now, though so...

Message 13/66                 Date: 16-Apr-02  @  09:20 PM     Edit: 16-Apr-02  |  09:21 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

99devils

Link?: Link

Brett - I looked carefully at the DM24.. But your options for getting all that I/O to and from the PC are limited. You could use a MOTU 2408 with 3 TDIF ports, but there's all sorts of problems with them on PCs. You could buy 3 M-Audio TDIF cards, but then you're talking about $750 in cards, not to mention the fun you'll have getting 3 cards to play nice.. Or you could go with lightpipe and a pair of TDIF to ADAT converters, plus an RME Hammerfall or Frontier Dakota, but again there's another grand at least in converters and cards..

Looking at $4k versus $2200-2500 I see a big reason for going with the Behringer.

Not that the Tascam with 24 channels of I/O wouldn't be the bomb   but it's easily over a thousand dollars more, probably more like $1500-$2k more once all is said and done.

-Craig

Message 14/66                 Date: 17-Apr-02  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Brett

i diagree. the behringer is $1600, the dm24 is $1899, so you are talking only $350-400 in real money at a store. Now you have to buy a adat card for the behringer and now you have spent as much for less channels and expandability. The routing are only wierd wehn you switch into 96k mode, and then everything is halved. And if you are building a daw, then adat is a good idea. The dakota is exatly what I had in mind. The 2408 is cool piece of kit, but what kind of latency do you get with it? I have never gotten a straight answer from them, and my freind who uses the motu stuff says his latency is high.

If you want a board with lots of digital i/o and the ability to expand later, and even hook it directly up to a protools i/o without any addition hardware. It's a nice mixer. It is certainly more comprehensive the behringer. I think the routing is awsome on it. I like the idea of using the two mic/line's as inserts, so when mixing down you can have audio come from tape or disk via the aes/ebu and use external gear inserted into the channel using the two mic/line connectors on each track. If you have to mix in diferant environments for diferant projects and need to integrate hardware fx with your plugs, this is tight. And you can mix down back to the daw via spidif. this is pretty damn flexible. And with a motu 2408 you have no physical fader to control the channel or surface to work with.

The tascam is geared toward the pro project studio that wants o2r features on a budget with the use of outboard fx or PT integration, and the behringer is marketed toward the prosumer.

I like em both, and the behringer would do just fine for me probabaly and most. It also has the 6 controlers for using it control software synths etc.

It's a tough choice, but i am moving toward the PT setup and outboard gear integrated in. So i made my choice. And 24/48 is all I need.

Message 15/66                 Date: 17-Apr-02  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

tortoise

The Ramsa/Panasonic DA7 is a better choice in this market. I've seen them going for $1500 on ebay. Excellent converters and PEQ, and a very professional digital console in general with tons of dedicated I/Os that are highly configurable. It is basically an O2R with better sound quality and better ease of use. They used to be expensive, but they've gotten really cheap recently, and I would highly recommend them. I've used most of the current crop of digital mixers that cost less than $10k, and the DA7 is in a class by itself. Highly recommended.

Message 16/66                 Date: 17-Apr-02  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

k

dedicated DA7 site - also:

http://www.panasonic.com/proaudio/

http://www.cfcl.com/~rick/essays/main.html

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 17/66                 Date: 17-Apr-02  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

99devils

Bret - the Tascam only has 8 channels of ADAT standard, the rest are on TDIF. So like I said before, either you need 2 ADAT I/O cards for the Tascam, or a format converter, or an audio device that deals with TDIF. All of which will bump the cost up to much more than the $2k the mixer started at.

-Craig

Message 18/66                 Date: 17-Apr-02  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

influx

ProMix 01 rocks!

Message 19/66                 Date: 18-Apr-02  @  02:10 AM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

milan

well i´m using a bloody ProMix. you got something against it buddy???

Message 20/66                 Date: 18-Apr-02  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: DDX3216 - Too good to be true?

Brett

craig there are many sound cards that do tdif--egosys for example, and of coarse Protools. I am saving right now for that. I am finally working again , so I should have a mix plus or 3 set up by end of summer. Right now my current set up is working fine. I'll probablly buy it all at once. I need about $8000, so it going to take about 6 months of eating PB&J and soup, and renting a movie won Friday night instead of going out, but it will come together. I need a mixer for the front end of that. So the tascam is good choice for me. I think the behringer is nice, and in fact is what I was going to use, but then I saw the tdif on the tascam and am going that route.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum