0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Muddy mixing

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  01:56 AM   -   Muddy mixing

lyday

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm making a drum n bass song, and my bass line is to too muddy and dominating. It sounds good on my bedroom studio monitors(ALESIS) and girlfriends home stereo, but it not so good on lower fi speakers like my car and simple computer speakers.

Mixing bass is a B*tch.
You should probably hear it, but what comes to your head right off?
I would really like to crisp it up a bit.
I've attempted to EQ and compress it already.

THank you,
Dustin Lyday

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/21                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

lydaydustin

Sorry, I haven't posted my song.
It's 70MB! Is that way to big? It's diethered to 16bit 44.1khz out of cubase.

I will have to post it here soon. Thanks a lot for the help. Is 70MB to big for here?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/21                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

damballah

Link?: Link

make it an mp3 file.

Message 13/21                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

Brett B

K prefers the 24k mono, but you can't hear the highs when you do that.

Message 14/21                 Date: 23-Mar-02  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

soulsurvivor

you mention your track had strings in it, I've noticed that tracks I've done with strings that its really easy for the mix to become muddy sounding (Im talking synth strings). It might be worth removing all the lower frequencies from the strings and see if that makes a difference. From what i can gather tracks based around strings have to quite minimal in order get a clear mix, otherwise keep them low in the mix.

Message 15/21                 Date: 24-Mar-02  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

k

Link?:  Link

yes of course, HERTZ, not KILOHERTZ... sorry... slip of the keys

anyone else here like to put their reverb thru a wide chorus??   mmmmmmmm

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 16/21                 Date: 24-Mar-02  @  11:44 AM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

bedwyr

Link?: Link

if there's space i like a bit of flange (hehe) on reverb for tight little snares. keeeeeooooooowwww kwwwwwooooooeeeee etc.

Message 17/21                 Date: 24-Mar-02  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

Brett B

running the reverb mono can clear out some space.

Message 18/21                 Date: 25-Mar-02  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

knowa

Link?:  Link

yeah, just encouraging you to post and mp3 here. folks is real frindly-like. mostly. I like the sound of d'n'b with strings and melodies, so I'm curious. I used to struggle to make jungle with the shiny sounding XP-50 so enjoy that waldorf kid   get a Boss DS-1 or Rat distorion petal, split the signal and run half of your bass through the distortion. champion sound.

Message 19/21                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  06:12 AM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

Chris

I seem to be haveing the same problem. I don't mix Drum and bass, all techno, but I feel like I end up with just a big wash of a mess. My synth stabs seem to just disappear. I get a feeling that keeping frequencies for each instrument separate from the rest is probably important, but I seem to get lost in those low mid range freq on up to the rest of the mix. I did have a heavey amount of reverb being fed from the drum mix, maybe that makes everything get a bit muddy. If you like I could post a short loop. I dont have a lot of structure done yet. I always get my loops going and than before I know it I have a thick muddy mess and than that seems to always stop me from getting any farther with the track. Anyone suggest any books or articles on the web that have real solid and clear information on how to find frequencies in the mix that are making it muddy, and get rid of them? Got a Mackie 1604 -vlzpro. Anyone comment on these EQ's, sufficient or not so good? Thanks, Chris (sorry for rambling)

Message 20/21                 Date: 29-Mar-02  @  07:22 AM   -   RE: Muddy mixing

Brett B

I read a couple of books but they were only good for pointing the direction to go in.
"The mix Engineer's Handbook" Bob Owsinski.
It gooes into interview and techniqes as well as theory..The song is a 3D thing "tall deep and wide".
But the is every mixer is diferant. I can run hoter in Reason and still not get overs than in VST, but in VST I get much more detail and imaging. What I have discovered over the last few years has all come together in the last two weeks of mixing a new track many ways....and the lesson was that head room was the most important thing. Not trying to go loud with it but making it sound good and clean with plenty of room left on the levels leaving space to hear the top end and reverb.

Also eq on te reverb made a ton of diference. Solo it and use a high pass filter or eq til it is nice and shimmery. Then mix that under until the mix shines. Balance is the key. And don't send everything to the reverb either. Keep some things dry and other wet especially if they are tonally similar. Use reverb to creat stereo effect on things that are mono by panning the reverb or delay the other way from which you pan the dry signal.

Nothing should stick out too much but it should all sound good at low level listening and then go loud with it to make sure it is balanced.

Also turn up the bass and high shelve on your mixers eq with the volume up to expose and trouble frequencies. I learned this hard way. I mix a track then when I tried to maximise it in wavelabe it would crackle when the high hat;s hit or some other high frequency. Some of those tambory and snares have a lot of noise and crackle in the attack that clip the mix when played on system ith eq boosted.

Home mastering for demos- Best success is mixing like I said, not to hot at about -10-14rms. Just getting into the yellow barely. My master chain is

1.wave RCL set to "Kneeless Opto" diging in deep as this is subtle about -21 on the threshold.

2.wavelab stereo expander- about 30-40%

3. maxx bass- set to hi-fi enhancer

4. Wave L1- Dig in until you get the peak part of the track as thick as you wanted and adjust the release to keep it clean.

The kneeless opto setting on the RCL will keep the mix nice and tight. I a/b'd my mix to a pro-mix in the car and the volume didn't change at all and the imaging was jsut as good. If you need to do eq do it after the mxxbass as it is a dynamic compressor as well.

Good luck on the mixes and keep them clean and and not too hot. And the mud thing is very dependant on your synth programing. So if you have two similar parts filter one down and make the other brighter so they layer instead of compete for space. This newest mix using these methods is ten times better than any I have done. the problem is that if I didn't do the mastering I would have never figured out what a non mastered mix should sound like.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum