0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: what mixer should i buy?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 07-Apr-01  @  02:09 PM   -   what mixer should i buy?

kef

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

hi
im trying to decide what mixer to buy and i hope you can help me out. i want to have at least 8 channels, at least three effect loops and three mic amps and 3band eq with mid sweep. what alternatives are there and in what price range? any help would be much appreciated.

by the way, why are the behringer mixers so cheap? do they suck or are they just cheap?

kef

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/29                 Date: 10-Apr-01  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

mhutchison

I hear people suggesting the Yamaha 01V - how can you suggest a mixer with only 20 bit d/a, a/d?

The roland vm3100 v mixing station is 24 bit and half the price. Granted you have fewer channels and effects, but how can yamaha say they have premier sound when they are working in 20 bit?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/29                 Date: 10-Apr-01  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

damballah

Link?: Link

because that's ad copy and they're not going to move as many units by saying anything but "we've got the hottest shit on the whole freakin planet". It's not like it matters with dance music, anyway. I have a feeling by the time most electronic-music 'producers' stick a 10:1 compressor on every channel and then compress the whole mix as well, the final result is probably closer to an 8-bit file.

Message 13/29                 Date: 10-Apr-01  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

mikec

Don't listen to numbers. Although I'll tell why not with a bunch of numbers. ;)

16-bit numbers give values from 0-65535 (actually usually read as -32768 to 32767 for samples, but that's irrelevant). Every time you add another bit to the number size, the total range doubles. A 17-bit number gives 0-131071, an 18-bit number gives 0-262143, and so on.

The final output of your music will be 16-bit. The reason that processors work in higher bit ranges is because if you restrict your calculations to 16-bit then your sounds are very likely to clip before you get the final result. So you have to scale everything down before you calculate and then go back up again after you've got the answer, thus losing some resolution.

It's much better to leave the original values as they are, do the calculation and then scale down to 16-bit.

The fact is that the difference between 20-bit and 24-bit isn't really a great deal as both ranges give a sizable enough value for you not to really lose too much resolution in the calculations.

The more the merrier of course, but in this case, 20-bit is easily enough, presuming they've done the corresponding maths functions (there are many different ways to do the same thing) so that the values don't exceed the 20-bit range (which of course they must have).

In summary...don't listen to numbers. A bigger number does not equal better performance in all (most?) cases.

And the O1V's are great.  

MikeC

Message 14/29                 Date: 11-Apr-01  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

99devils

OK, here's a bunch of reasons to go for an 01V over a VM-3100 Pro

EQ: 4-band 44-bit fully parametric EQs vs 3-band EQs in the Roland (website didn't say if all bands were fully parametric or not)

Compression: 22 full-blown dynamics processors vs. 2 compressors, plus you could configure your FX processors as 2 more for a total of 4

Mic Pre's: 16 on the 01V vs. 2 on the VM-3100

Some other things I couldn't find info on: Motorized faders, routing, channel swapping, dedicated controls for the EQ.. The screen looks bigger on the Yamaha. Not to mention that Yamaha consoles like the 03D and 02R are standards in studios everywhere while Roland consoles are.. umm.. well, nowhere.

Granted the Roland is a few hundred less, and it's a good competitor to the Tascam TMD-1000, and the pro is in a price segment that is somewhere between the Tascam and the 01V, but the claim that because it's 24 bit vs 20 bit that the 01V is somehow inferior is ludicrous.

-Craig

Message 15/29                 Date: 11-Apr-01  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

gb

Link?:  Link

And, the 01v is easy to understand and the manual is excellent.

Message 16/29                 Date: 14-Apr-01  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

PointBeing

2^n where n is the number of bits gives the range.

hey what is 1.0 times 1.0 a few billion times? it isnt 1.0 dont you love computers? round off error, i love you

Message 17/29                 Date: 15-Apr-01  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

Milan

Link?:  Link

there you go now, (allmost) everyone loves a Yamaha  ) Get one from easter bunny now! greets chums.

Message 18/29                 Date: 16-Apr-01  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

shoebox_b

I read somewhere that the quality of the 01v is similar to that of an old four track. I hope this is not true as I was thinking of buying one at a really good price. I hate to use the word "pro" but the piece I read inferred that the o1v falls way below pro standards.

Message 19/29                 Date: 16-Apr-01  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

pict

An old studer 4 track quality maybe but not portastudio 4 track quality .

Message 20/29                 Date: 16-Apr-01  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: what mixer should i buy?

99devils

Yeah, I don't know where you heard that but it's absolute rubbish. Perhaps you were reading about the Promix01? I've heard lots of badmouthing of that particular mixer but never the 01V. Sound quality is fine, and it's as quiet as death. You simply can't beat the amount of power this mixer puts into your hands for $1500ish.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum