0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 15-May-00  @  09:58 PM   -   (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

dobyrush

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Have a few synths, a Mac, Cubase, all of which I can operate with medium skill. I need a drum source; been looking around and always see Get A Sampler instead.. but I've never used one. Need some basic info on the hows & whys. Trying to keep it relatively simple for now; interested in making tracky/loopy techno -- Samuel Sessions, User/Invasion series, etc. Later on Beyer/'Sweden', Advent, etc. Would love to hear from ppl doing this kind of thing on how the sampler is used (esp for drums/loops), where to get the best sounds, where to start! Thanks.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/29                 Date: 17-May-00  @  04:48 AM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Jasper

you sort of pick this stuff up, like one day you fucking hate writing it cos you don't go anywhere, the next you've discovered how a compressor can really push a loop out and it all starts rolling again. I suppose my best tip is to use sounds out of loops like a snare hear and a kick there and build up a really huge mapped drumkit that becomes your main loop creation device.. that way no-one can accuse you of just using someone elses loops, don't worry if they aint perfectly clean or layered with a hat or summit cos that's is what you want... epecially for dirty heavy techno..

shit.. better do some work..

----

why won't this server accept long-ish posts??

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/29                 Date: 17-May-00  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Chris

Jasper

Excellent excellent excellent!@!! Can't tell ya how much i appreciate the info. This is exactly what i needed to push me in the right direction. i'm going to slice into it tonight. I'll let ya know how things go in a couple of days. All i can say is i'm totally excited. Thanks very much... Chris

Message 13/29                 Date: 17-May-00  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Jasper

cheers  

a couple of points about recording.. if you use the auto level recording (it'll wait for a signal over a certain level before recording starts, and stops after the sound) there will probably be a gap of around 600 at the start of the sample that is space. Use the sample start/end function to remove this bit (use the zero seek ON to make it easier to get a good start point) or the loop won't quite match up.

An easy way of doing this is to detune the sample by about -50 while you search for the beginning of it.

about the bigbeat drum kit - unzip each file to it's own floppy and load it with floppy 1 into a3k then when it asks load up floppy2 (the a3k gives a wierd message - bloody japs!   )

don't be put off when your first attempts sound crap.. cos it takes me a while to get something useable.. just keep at it.

have fun!

Message 14/29                 Date: 18-May-00  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Chris...

I have record released by Sonic Groove records NYC, got it a couple years ago. I believe the artist was jasper, was that yours???

Message 15/29                 Date: 19-May-00  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Jasper

No but I've heard of the artist.

btw. how are the grooves coming on?

Message 16/29                 Date: 19-May-00  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Chris

Heh he, well.... I should tell you i just got this sampler recently so i haven't even gotten this far yet. I got a nice groove so far but i keep running into other problems that end up taking up so much time i never get the chance to edit the samples and join em like ya said. This sampler when ya first get it can be a bit of a headache at times. But do check back over the weekend cause i'm going to try recording the edits this weekend, hopefully tonight. I'm sure i might have a question for ya, but i promise i won't bury ya. Thanks Jasper and have great weekend bro!!!

Message 17/29                 Date: 19-May-00  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Mod

Link?: Link

hmm...

wierd...

This is the ideal kind of exchange of experience that can occur online.

Very rare; well done!

Message 18/29                 Date: 22-May-00  @  07:11 AM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Jasper

all the planets are aligned,

thought I'd relate this nugget of info you might need, I was messing with the loop I created, couldn't get the swine to sound good in the track. but on it's own or with just the kick/hats it sounded great..

fixed it by dragging the loop back 4 places at (1/196ths resolution), so were talking miliseconds difference in the point it plays in relation to the kick.

I'm trying to say that if it sounds like it's in time in relation to the kick, it might not be but you ears might be doing the work of getting it in time in your head.. try it and see.

Message 19/29                 Date: 22-May-00  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Chris...

Hey Jasper, everything seemed to go quite well, thanks again. I feel like i just jumped about a year ahead of where i would have been. Only question i could come up with is about compression. I'm not quite sure how ya get a proper setting. I always feel lost when it comes to compression. Do you actualy hear the difference when your setting the parameters, or do you just have like a magic # that ya usually use? Do you compress the high loop together, the low end, then compress it all together? Anyway, that info was fantastic!! That Lofi grit just rocks!!! Late Chris...

Message 20/29                 Date: 22-May-00  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: (Samplers for) techno - drums/construction

Jasper

Sound...

Read this
((http://www.sospubs.co.uk/ and do a search for compression.. about 4th article down list))

Basically slow attack and fast release for compression on loops, tweak to taste. read the article and see how you get on.

btw.. try cutting up your own loops for extra ideas .

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum