0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Creating Beats

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

Original Message                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  10:29 AM   -   Creating Beats

karibe

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm wanting to know what do I really need to create some fat beats I have no hardware except for a computer with alot of memory. What all do I need to get started and how much would it cost.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  06:56 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

.......next he`s gonna tell us the soundblaster live card is the best sampler money can buy..........

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Delta Sleep

haha, well, i programmed alot of the stuff you guys have put up, and it sounded like a marching band, am i doing something wrong? Hammerhead is too limited in the amount of samples you can have open, thats the major downside, it is a fairly quick little program though.

Message 13/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

...if it sounded like a marching band u r probably using the wrong type of beats, the only groove I`ve put up is "Funky Drummer" and if U cant get that 2 sound good, u should take up house music or something else less cerebrally challenging...........or maybe even "Marching band" music.........

......look, no offence buddy, but u really need 2 show a bit more respect 4 the people on this site, some of whom (myself not included) r professionals who know a damn site more than u do. If u`d read the other threads properly u`d know that Sox is a drummer of some distinction and if HE says Hammerhead is an important piece of the drumtrak arsenal, then who r u (or me 4 that matter) 2 argue?..........

Message 14/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

No Offense to you Delta, even though you have offended everyone that has ever contributed to this site, but the patterns are what you make them. If you can't make them sound interesting then that says more about your own experience level than the people who wrote them. Dynamics, Pitch, Timbre, Equalization, Fx, Quantization Style, and context that the groove is applied to all have a drastic impact on the way the loop sounds. It doesn't matter if you just closed your eyes and randomly picked out the hits for the groove. The experienced programmer could make it burn if he had to. If you wan't people to take you seriously, then stop putting us down and simply inspire us. We are not competing against each other. This is a help forum for people to get better informed. Why don't you ask us how to make your loops sound better rather than assume that you are a seasoned expert who knows more than everyone else. So far no one is convinced.

Message 15/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Heyyyyyyy! Deltaaaaaa! My maaaaaaaaaaan! 4 a laugh, I thought I`d program your "groove" 2 c what it sounded like and u know what? U have NO understanding of d+b, its obvious u dont mix, cos if u did, u wouldn`t have a snare as the final beat of the bar b4 the 1st downbeat - always use a bit of percussion as the last beat of a bar, DJs need a nice clear 1st beat so they know what the fuck is going on and keep a track of their mix while chopping and seguing. Just thought I`d mention it........I`m so disappointed that a 22 year old whos been into jungle since its inception knows more than a 16 year old kid with an attitude problem.............................hit me with it toughguy....................

Message 16/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

chris

R-tek is correct.......

Message 17/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

Wow!! These threads look interesting, What the Fuck is Delta on?? Still E'd up i guess. He'll be saying that Evolution Dance Station's the best sequencer around.
Nothing wrong with that tho

Message 18/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

Link?:  Link

ha

Message 19/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Delta?.........Delta??!!........Hmmm. Scared him off. At least BSTANTON had balls enough to defend himself. If he's gone, he's just gonna pop up as someone other...uh, well you know. ANYHOW that's interesting about the last beat thing, R-tek. I always sort of did it but never knew why I did it or even payed any attention to it. What other general 'rules' are there? It's interesting to break it all down like that sometimes.

Message 20/115                 Date: 16-Nov-99  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Well, there r no rules really, I guess thats the point of dance music in general and I dont want 2 advocate "Music by Numbers" formulas either but, d+b is made 4 dancefloors and the DJ, basically, has 2 ride the tunes he (or she) is playing to move the floor. So basic things which I guess u already know r 2 put plenty of movement in the to rythym section throughout the tune - constantly evolving drums so the DJ can use each change in rythym as an index 2 work the EQ, faders etc. Another thing is to put cues (stabs, breaks, FX etc.) at the start of 16/32 or 64 bar phrases 4 the same reasons. Intros r something that really piss me off, if you`re gonna have a nice long synth intro without any beats in yer tunes that fade in, PLEASE put a little bit of perc; fx or even the sound of yer dog breaking wind so u know where the tunes actually starts and can cue from it (I know that sounds obvious but u wouldn`t believe how many producers go through the bother of orchestrating an epic opening to their track and then leave nothing 4 the DJ 2 cue, or even index from). Also, in intros and just b4 and after the 1st break in the rinse, have lots of nice drum edits and FX, stabs etc. - maybe something a little bit wilder than the rest of the track so the DJ can segue in and out these bits and also say, the last bar of 16/32 or 64 phrases, kill the beats and just have a bit of bass or kill the bass and just beats 2 ease the transition into the next record. Same again in intros. Dont have a big long bassline running through the intro either, its impossible 2 EQ out and mooses up the mix. Instead, put little stabs of bass or FX for the last bar of 8/16/32, again, for seguing. Theres plenty more, but really, what I`m getting at is this: think about the dynamics of the tune you`re making both in structure and in sonic movement. Dynamics, dynamics, dynamics; movement, movement movement..................

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

There are 115 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum