0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 29-Oct-99  @  02:23 PM   -   Making Rolling Jungle Bass on Akai S3000XL

raver

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I would like to hear everyone ideas and ways of making that rolling modulated bass that one of the distinctive sounds of jungle. I would like to know how to do it on the Akai S3000XL but any manner of making it will do! Thanks!

Steve

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/22                 Date: 17-Feb-00  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

damballah

Link?:  Link

Another thing that can help with basslines is to try to play it on a bass guitar. Work out the skeleton of the low end with your sequencer and play along with it. Bassists' hands tend to go different places than keyboard players' hands. It'll give you ideas for what grace notes to put in, little riffs & fills. It also lets you know if your idea is "playable" on a bass. That shouldn't disqualify it if what you've got so far is cool, but it helps to know. It helps you think bass.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/22                 Date: 19-Feb-00  @  02:43 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

Vishnu

put a mic to tha noze
do a mmmmmmm
while samplin
try including portamento in tha sample
tone tha pitch
an tie down lose objectz
ready for Attack: 

Message 13/22                 Date: 21-Feb-00  @  06:41 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

lyrebird

less happy or dark blines are a combination of tone and notes-

use a middlely sound bass and distort, filter with high pass or low pass, I find high pass gives you that 99 b sound like ed rush/optical.

use semitones and minor keys also just record a single note over a bar and then use pitch bend, i some times just randomly scribble stuff in logics hyperdraw and see what happens

Message 14/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

ezra

my method of making darker bass lines is simply start the melody in a higher note then you end in, also dont get too complicated with bass lines. also becaus of the lower tone try spacing the notes out a bit more so that the changes are more aparent. the note slide is an excellent suggestion (i miss being able to just do a slide to note in impulse tracker, damn samplers take away all the fun). a friend showed me -THE- trick to making that wobbley sounding bass a while back and it has improved my sound by alot...the trick is to do a LPF envelope that zig-zags in synch with the song. hopes this helps some. (side question, anyone know if you can controll the LPF cut/res on a roland S-760 with midi CCs?)

peace.

Message 15/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

raver

What do you mean by zigzags? Could you explain this a little further on how you're doing it? That would be awesome!

steve

Message 16/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

ezra

I mean zig-zag by going up and down rapidly, like start at a cutoff of 0 and have it go up to 127 1/8note or 1/16note later then back down. make any sence? I will do it on my S-760 and post a screen cap of it when i get a chance.

Message 17/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

ezra

I mean zig-zag by going up and down rapidly, like start at a cutoff of 0 and have it go up to 127 1/8note or 1/16note later then back down. make any sence? I will do it on my S-760 and post a screen cap of it when i get a chance.

Message 18/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

oi420io

has anyone ever heard UFO! or Konflict basslines? i wanna know how they get thiers, because thiers is more of like a fat punchy dark bassline that seems like they would be playing it on a keyboard and it kinda rolls along.. it could be thier drums that help it out tho. let me know what you think..

Mayhem..

Message 19/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

UFO out of San Francisco?

Message 20/22                 Date: 28-Feb-00  @  08:55 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

b

One think i do is start playing the bass higher octve wen i am done with it i pull it couple octaves to the soun i like, then adding filters /reverb/distortion ( always a little distortion!) ...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum