0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: mixolydian or what?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 30-Dec-00  @  02:56 AM   -   mixolydian or what?

pict

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

If I'm playing in D and using the G major pentatonic scale to improvise over it am I actually playing in D mixolydian or is there another name for that relationship?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/20                 Date: 12-Jan-01  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

ging

pict...a jazz thing.respect mate.heres a good book- mark levines jazz piano book..i dont no if you play or not but its excellent 4 voicings ect and there is john coltranes naima notated.artist 2 check out sun rae,fela kuti,leon thomas,lonnie listen....the roots man!nu skool jazzonova,cinermatic orcrestra.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/20                 Date: 13-Jan-01  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

pict

Ging I have the Levine book by the side of my chair a very nifty book it is too especially the voicing ideas.Have you checked out his Jazz theory book? I'm in negotiations for a Bechstein studio piano or a small grand,digital keyboards and synth keys don't cut it when it comes to developing your keyboard skills.If you're into playing I hear a very good book is "The contemporary keyboardist" by John Novello I'll be getting it soon.Coltrane is one of the main men,chord progressions moving in thirds etc. clever man have you tuned into his version of "my favourite things"?

Message 13/20                 Date: 15-Jan-01  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

volley

Uah. That book, would it be of any good to a complete newbie (in terms of musical theory)?  

Message 14/20                 Date: 15-Jan-01  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

casparproject

as a complete newbie you might want to get a
book that focusses on "preliminary rudiments"
that'll teach you about notes and scales and stuff.

Message 15/20                 Date: 16-Jan-01  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

pict

Volley there are quite a few websites that can give you the basics of reading etc.The Jazz theory book does require some basic knowledge of theory the author presumes you can at least read music so for a complete newcomer to music theory I'd have to say it isn't really appropriate but having said that once you get the basics down this book will come in very handy.Reading is the main barrier to extracting the musical knowledge in these books they use notation to illustrate the sounds of certain notes used together when explaining harmony and to show rhythms etc.
You can learn to read music in minutes it's just a case of grasping the concept learning to read fluently is the real task but basic reading will enable you to use the info contained in these books if you take the time to do it you will thank yourself for it later.There is also software available like earope and earmaster that are good for theory and sight reading etc.

Message 16/20                 Date: 16-Jan-01  @  07:57 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

volley

Oh.. Uhm, ok, so I'm not a _complete_ newbie. =) Have been making music for a couple of years, so I know about notes and scales and stuff, and I've kinda figured out what chords seem to work fine etc, but apart from that I've got no theory...

Will skip about the web for a bit and see if I can come up with something.  

Thanks!

Message 17/20                 Date: 17-Jan-01  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

pict

Volley a very good book is "Arranging techniques for synthesists" by Eric Turkel it's full of good information and as you know good arranging skills can breathe new life into your music.My wife bought it for me by mistake(she was supposed to get another book)and I'm glad she did it's direct and to the point.

Message 18/20                 Date: 19-Jan-01  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

ging

nice pict ill look that book up.volley you asked if that book would be any good 4 a newbie,i got the book about 8 months ago(i had actually asked someone at dancetech about jazz chords)they recommended book..got that and book to help me read notation.found it was hard to play so i started lessons with a jazz pianist(it dont cost that much £27 a time..once a fornight.we had to play jingle bells and things like that first but now i am doing stuff i like and its sound alright.pict i only got semi weighted keys i want a proper piano too,better to learn on and they wicked.pict are you currently making music and what kind of thing do you do.ging

Message 19/20                 Date: 19-Jan-01  @  01:02 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

ging

ps there is jazz primer on web by mark san...something

Message 20/20                 Date: 19-Jan-01  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: mixolydian or what?

pict

Yeah I checked out that guys site ages ago it's pretty good if you want to get into Jazz.I'm working on a few things just now and hopefully I'll be getting a completed album out sooner rather than later.I'm working on a piece just now experimenting with transitions between consonance and dissonance and tension but it could never be classed as dance music more something to listen to.If you are looking to buy a piano make sure you either take someone who knows about them or at the least buy "The piano book" by Larry Fine and read it thoroughly.I've just looked at a piano recently which the guy(a piano technician with his own shop)wants 2500 pounds for and it would fall apart after a short time because of its age.Pianos that are really just furniture and are dead as musical instruments are regularly sold at around the grand/grand and a half mark it's worse than used car dealing definitely buyer beware to be safe buy a new or newish one from an established piano shop with good aftercare.

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum