0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Vocal samples?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  11:41 PM   -   Vocal samples?

nickdej

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Anybody know of any sites that have vocal samples(whole songs) on them? I currently need some lyrics to mix with a song.

~n

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/84                 Date: 08-Jul-00  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

YEAH!!! what he said!!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/84                 Date: 08-Jul-00  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

pro

I thought this was music discussion board where people helped each other, maybe Im wrong.

As for pro musicians who the fuck here is one of them?
Why are you wasting your time with us 'amateaurs?'

What the fuck do you think you are?

Message 13/84                 Date: 08-Jul-00  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

pro

I thought this was music discussion board where people helped each other, maybe Im wrong.

As for pro musicians who the fuck here is one of them?
Why are you wasting your time with us 'amateaurs?'

What the fuck do you think you are?

Message 14/84                 Date: 09-Jul-00  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

pongoid

Link?:  Link

Hey pro, this is a place for musicians to come and exchange knowledge, not promote the ripping off, and weakening of other musicians as individuals or as a community. I am a pro, and I'm trying to do as much as I can to help others prepare properly to make the leap, if they so choose. This doesn't mean teaching them how to fuck others over. Think about it.

What do I think I am? Just a human who acts with more intelligence than you, apparently.

Ape

Message 15/84                 Date: 10-Jul-00  @  01:38 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

pro

You call abusing somebody with a query intelligent?
That itself is stupid.

So is this your knowledge: "get a fuckin mic, and get a fuckin voice....Stop trying to be a DJ....You want to be a musician? Walk the fucking walk"

Dont sound like knowledge to me bro

Message 16/84                 Date: 10-Jul-00  @  03:06 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Gh

Damn.. What is it with people who come in here with these attitudes?

Look, Pro, I've been reading this board for f'n long time and guys like Pongoid have provided a lot. People like him are why I keep coming back. He's a got a lot of useful information to share.. to teach. But, he's not goin' to teach someone to take the easy way or to ripoff others or whatever.

Crap, guys.. Most of the "serious", professional or not, musicians here who share are very similar in that respect. It has nothing to do with being artsy-fartsy or non-commercial. Just find the threads about Xoxos and his tomato piece or his recent one "moment clutter" or something. We're talking stuff intended for commercial yet he stills share a lot even about making of those tracks themselves.

If ya can't handle someone coming straight out and saying your query is fucked, you're not going to make it long on this board nor in music.

Reading the initial question for the n-th time, I keep getting this vibe of "I'm one person and I wanna pretend I can do everything on my own, but.. oh wait.. I can't sing." Sometimes it's good to say, "Shit, I can't do that," and then to go out looking for someone to help ya out. It's much better than relying on a crutch (like vocal sample cds or sites). Not only will you learn more, you may get more out of it - connections, friendships, people to bounce ideas off, etc.

I know if I ever need a vocal track I can find someone either directly or through people I know. On top of things, if I'm short on a piece of gear I can usually find someone who'd loan something out for a session or two to fill in a need. I don't have impressive connections either yet I can do the above.. if needed.

Message 17/84                 Date: 10-Jul-00  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

flipgibbs

this is ridiculous. you people are crucifying this guy for asking a perfectly reasonable question. i mean, shit, what the hell is really wrong with using vocal sample CDs? they're "made by money hungy fucks"? well, hate to break it to you, but so is everything you own in life, undoubtedly including all your gear. i guess you can't use that anymore. whoops. quit trying to take the easy way out... build your own damn sampler!

well now i'm just being uppity. but my point is this: who the hell is to say which means to an end are more valid than any others when it comes to something like art? (excluding, i suppose, mugging people to pay for your shit or something, but that's just me). i hate to bust out the visual art analogies, but that's my background too, so i will. it's like collage vs. painting. somebody brought this up in another thread, and it illustrated what i'm about to say: a lot of people seem to think that collage is somehow an inferior artform to painting. that's bullshit. sometimes you can paint to get your message across, but sometimes you need collage. but i'll tell you one thing for damn sure, creating an image in which you've used "appropriated imagery" sends an entirely different message than one that you've painted yourself. and the message isn't necessarily "I suck at painting," either. to use another stock example, do we consider Andy Warhol less of an artist because he "ripped off" the work that some graphic designer at Cambell's Soup did? well, maybe you do. but (and i'm reaching here), if it weren't for people like him you probably wouldn't be making electronic music today.

to get back on topic, using "premade lyrics" seems perfectly legit to me. after all, isn't it more important WHAT you're saying, rather than HOW you're saying it? now, granted, i personally would think it a little lame if someone were to use said lyrics to crank out all those typical samples you hear in DnB and whatnot. the "drop the bass!!" and "ooooooh yeah!!" and "I feel it!!" and "break it down!!" and you get the idea. but unlike one of the posters above (sorry i can't remember the name), i can imagine something really awesome happening by splicing together words from different voices on a sample cd to come up with some original lyrics. or using one of those stupid "talking text" programs to make it sound like Stephen Hawking was my vocalist. does that somehow prevent you from being a "real" musician? i doubt it.

as for pongoid, (and the following has been said elsewhere as well), you don't "own" music. furthermore, who died and made you the moral guardian of the music creation process? i mean, you can have your opinions. that's fine. but this whole "my way or the highway" attitude isn't particularly compelling, you know what i mean? although i guess it works for you since you're the king of the hill around here. now i really don't mean to insult, because it sounds like you know what you're talking about, and you obviously have the respect of the people on this board (myself included, believe it or not), and you've clearly helped a lot of people on here as well (again, myself included). but, generally speaking, it seems like you've got this frigging gigantic chip on your shoulder that you're incapable of unloading. maybe a DJ wronged you in the past or something, i don't know, but personally (it's just me!), i don't think it's particularly cool or productive to continuously drop the proverbial hammer on every not-as-experienced-as-you musician that posts on here. we may be a little ignorant, but that's no reason to cut us to pieces. it seems like you're just looking to start fights.

anyways, enough of this nonsense. pongoid (or anyone else), i seriously not trying to offend you. i just wanted to throw some thoughts out there, since i feel like this is a topic i know something about. please don't be angry with me, because i'll probably want your help in the future!  

peace out!

ps. these threads are pretty cool. nothing better than discussion that makes you want to speak your mind!

Message 18/84                 Date: 10-Jul-00  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

ggehiere

Link?: Link

Not to distract the discussion away from it's current
point of focus, but I have some advice for nickdej.

The advice to get a microphone and a singer is probably
your best advice. Find some nice girl with a decent
voice who's willing to take a chance with your gig.
You're more likely to get what you want. That's what I
did and I got a great track, many many different takes
to cull the best from, and some cool out-takes I've
scavenged for samples. It was easy too, I used a 75$CDN
microphone and got great results.

Failing that, there are samples available, but be
warned: they've been done to death and any musician
will recognize them instantly. Check out
samplenet.co.uk, which has a few free vocals samples,
mostly the cheesy diva 'no no no' and 'hey dj...'
stuff.

For a more eclectic vibe, I've seen voices of india,
and so forth for sale in the back of Future Music. And
there's some Chinese sample CDs available too. If you
really can't afford to buy CDs, I suggest getting on
Hotline (bigredh.com) and looking for what you want
pirated in the underbelly of the internet.

If you want robot voices, pick up a new or old
Macintosh and go to town with the 'Fred' voice. Aphex
Twin (!), Radiohead and Marilyn Manson have all used
the Mac voices for various tracks. It'll get you some
words without a voice. Not a vocoder, but

Message 19/84                 Date: 10-Jul-00  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

Marc

AnalogueX does a cute little voice thingy as well :o)

The majority of sample CD's will just make you sound like the herd, record yourself and speed it up (run it through Autotune and you'll never guess it's you !)

Marc.

Message 20/84                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  05:05 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

nickdej

Cheers for the advice, I was actually rethinking about vocal cds due to the substantial abuse I recieved in this thread.

But then again the world does not evolve around pongoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robot voices are cool, where can I get software for my PC?

Also what software is good for just vocal effects?

many thanks

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 84 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum