0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Seeking TRANCE

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  12:49 AM   -   Seeking TRANCE

Choknow

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm totally new to this world of making music. I'm very interested though. I need a starting point. I need to know what equipment I need and how I go about in creating this wonderful sound they call TRANCE.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/35                 Date: 29-Dec-00  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

The Congregation

AMEN!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/35                 Date: 31-Dec-00  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

sitar

Link?:  Link

I find it intriguing how the definition of 'compose has changed'. A composer at one time wrote music, musicians played it, and the recording technicians made it sound as good as could be. Nowadays composing is all of the above. In a sense from the 'composer' of old point of view trance is not that difficult to compose. What it sounds like stephen is talking about is the present definition of composing which in the case of trance requires a heavy emphasis on the technician side of composing. Maybe the difference of opinion is more in the definition of 'compose'. I'm not taking either side here mind you. It's just a brave new world.

Message 13/35                 Date: 01-Jan-01  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

r-tek

I dont think *any* style is easy to do well."...you need a big synth budget, alot of outboard, a good 8-bus desk and damn good set of monitors to get your mix through. Period." .....you missed out talent, always helps .....more helpful than a massive studio investment.

Message 14/35                 Date: 01-Jan-01  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

k

in some respect thats true.. trance is the most synth intensive music, but with hard disk and talent you can do it with less gear than you think, but that all depends on wether you are trying to compete soundwise with top selling artists with huge studio setups... trance has a lower end of the mrket too with less gloss.

Message 15/35                 Date: 06-Jan-01  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

freon

isn't the sonic character of trance pretty important...i mean...after programming awesome intros, builds and breaks...the sonic quality of trance is to me, most important...latley I have been focusing on that. awesome sonic recording....I have some examples up on mp3...
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/192/ddjfreon.html

I really tried to go sonic here. check out all the tracks...maybe use really good headphones.

Message 16/35                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

k

sure, and alot of that is down to the scales & notes working in layers - 44 partts of analog modelling should be good to get a pretty deep trancxe sound if u use fx and mix well and use some programme changes to switch sounds.

Message 17/35                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

k

sorry - that should be - 4 parts

Message 18/35                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  08:54 AM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

influx

Link?:  Link

44 parts? Jesus  when I read that...damn..imagine trying to mix that. Im too dumb

glad you clarified. even though I dont write trance

Message 19/35                 Date: 13-Jan-01  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

phunkytek

I'm having the hardest time getting the sonic quality there. I like my arrangments and sounds. My mixes sound off and lack the flatness and warmth of the tracks I like. I want my mix and master to sound like Sasha Ibiza, disc 2 track 03. warm lows. flat hats, sparkleing arps. I have been using wavelab, but don't really know anything about mastering. The only plug in that makes my tracks sound better is the peak master and eq. What plugs-ins should i be using , and in what order in the singnal path. where do I start and what should lead up to the limiter.

Message 20/35                 Date: 30-Jan-01  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Seeking TRANCE

stephen

Alright Phunkytek

A limiter will not help you really. The sort of sound your after is only really available with very expensive equipment.

Sash!`s music is produced in a studio armed with lots of analogue and digital synths loads of valve gear and a huge arsen of sounds.

So many different areas of the production process add to this level of sound quality.

The programmers who did that album have years of experience, they know how to program sounds exactly to fit those gaps in the tunes.

The first thing you need to learn is how to program an analogue synth. Every single parameter on a synth should be understood by the programmer, nothing should be ignored and then your creativity is only restricted my your imagination.

With regards to mixing you can, mix to a reasonable quality on a decent 8 bus desk (Mackie, Spirit, Studiomaster etc), but your sound will always lack the warmth of a bigger desk with a better eq. This isn`t always a bad thing, many trance producers (John Digweed, Ferry Corsten, Steve Helstrip etc) use a desk like the above. But their sound is always alot thinner than a Sash!`s mix, listen, use your ears.

Valve equipment is the key to Sash!`s sound, every sound in his mixes has been processed heavily, but don`t think that you need that level of power to write a good tune.

A skilled engineer with a reasonable setup can still produce a convincing mix, just like all of the above, minus the warmth tho...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum