0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: punchy kick drums

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 29-Nov-00  @  03:16 PM   -   punchy kick drums

bassbrap

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

how do i make my kick drums sound better? i have been trying everything: eq, hp filter, compression, adding transient waves in tune with the bassline.... no matter how hard i try, my kicks sound all muddy in the mix, i cannot get that good "thud", nor can i get the kick to blend well with the bass. i usually use 909 samples or other 909-type kicks running out of my ASR-10.

thanks

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/59                 Date: 01-Dec-00  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

influx

Link?:  Link

teemu. sampling a kick drum is not exactly treading water really.

nothing new in 10 years? hmmm. pretty bold statement!

well, then fella...you want your own sounds...trial and error. keep workin. take notes. read trade mags and maybe some books..and on and on. then youll find out how to do it yourself.

isnt, uh, sampling...the same as ASKING how do I do this? 

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/59                 Date: 01-Dec-00  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

teemu

"teemu. sampling a kick drum is not exactly treading water really. "

Depends on how you do it. Sampling something to make something new is ok, sampling something because you aren't able to do it yourself is not.

I would love to make kick drums as punchy as Daft Punk's. But instead of sampling them I learn how to use the eq and the compressor better. My music sucks now but when I learn all the tricks I will be good and, more importantly, original. If I just sampled everything instead of learning how to do them myself I would be able to make good music a lot faster but it wouldn't be original, it would be just me ripping off some artists.

"nothing new in 10 years? hmmm. pretty bold statement! "

More or less. The last really new thing was the birth of drum'n'bass and that happened 9 or 10 years ago. Production quality is now 10x better than 10 years ago but music-wise there hasn't been happening that much lately.

"isnt, uh, sampling...the same as ASKING how do I do this?  "

Err... NO

Sampling a guitar melody from Hendrix is not the same thing as asking him to teach you a few tricks =)

Message 13/59                 Date: 01-Dec-00  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

nobody

"nothing new in 10 years? hmmm. pretty bold statement! "

'More or less. The last really new thing was the birth of drum'n'bass and that happened 9 or 10 years ago. Production quality is now 10x better than 10 years ago but music-wise there hasn't been happening that much lately.'

i find it hard to believe that you could make such a BROAD asessment like this. so.. have you heard ALL MUSIC then? come on.. just because you haven't actively looked, does not mean it's not there. examples? no, that's not my place

Message 14/59                 Date: 02-Dec-00  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

Pongoid

K,
let me get a bit more encoded and stored on the net, I'l let you smell something new.

Ape

Message 15/59                 Date: 02-Dec-00  @  06:57 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

influx

sampling someones kick drums. sorry..but that doesnt fall into my idea of fakin it.

Message 16/59                 Date: 02-Dec-00  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

k

"More or less. The last really new thing was the birth of drum'n'bass and that happened 9 or 10 years ago. Production quality is now 10x better than 10 years ago but music-wise there hasn't been happening that much lately"

please !!... give up teemu cos, no offense, but you're talking total shite mate  

Message 17/59                 Date: 03-Dec-00  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

k

... and i mean that in the nicest possible way.. :-).. i mean.. how can you say that?... there's always something going on & changing

Message 18/59                 Date: 03-Dec-00  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

johnny

k, ever the diplomat.

I wouldn't go as far to say nothing's changed in the last 10 MONTHS, never mind YEARS. Put another way, I couldn't envisage many records from today being released in 1990. So yeah, total shite ;-)

Message 19/59                 Date: 03-Dec-00  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

r-tek

the 90s were truly a beautiful decade for electronic music imo, mebbe there wasn`t as much that was totally different, but music progressed so far and so many different offshoots of those original forms popped their head up - nu skool breaks anyone? . Just my opinion, but I happen to trust it.And "...I would love to make kick drums as punchy as Daft Punk's..." - mebbe you should be aware of the fact that they use an emu sp1200 for a lot of their drum duties which is a machine that requires no more than work than simply sampling the drums into it to get them so punchy and fat so they aint exactly working for *that* sound themselves, they just had the moolah to get it easily. So whats so wrong with sampling the damn thing then? This is afterall, all about the final product, not how you got there.

Message 20/59                 Date: 03-Dec-00  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: punchy kick drums

k

emax gets you the same sound as an sp12 - and they are supercheap & you can get even an sp12 disk for ther emax... same manufacturer (e-mu) so they just ported the samples - both are 12 bit so the same sound is there

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 59 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum