0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: How to put your Gains,and instruments

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 16-Nov-00  @  06:35 PM   -   How to put your Gains,and instruments

ME

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

hi,..i am a totally newbie,..and wanted to know how to setup your gain's on your mixing desk,..and at what level to put your instruments on,..and must i stay below the 0db level at my mixing desk,.
can anyone give me some beginners tips,..or an review at an Url please

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/25                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  04:32 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

k

well i've never blown a channel in 20 years on all types of mixers -

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/25                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

'

dBu=20 times the logararithm of the power ratio,pump up the voltage on the gain the more electrons you are pushing through the desk,wether or not a desk a likes this is a different story.

Message 13/25                 Date: 24-Nov-00  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

k

yes, but we are talking tiny voltages, if the gain circuit is sound it'll be fine, if it blows it's faulty... surely?...

Message 14/25                 Date: 25-Nov-00  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

damballah

Link?:  Link

there's also a difference between hitting it a bit hard sometimes and ritually hammering your ICs into severe and constant clipping. if you're doing the former, you're probably OK. if you're doing the latter, you might want to look at some other 'technique.'

Message 15/25                 Date: 25-Nov-00  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

damballah

Link?: Link

Here's a link to an article I found somewhat interesting. It parallels the way I work in a certain respect. I try to get things sounding as complete as I can in midi. If I would then go through and try to individually get everything as hot as possible when recording the audio, it would in effect nullify a lot of my pre-production work. If I get a consistant relative level, I'm that much closer to getting the mix going.

One thing to realize about signal-to-noise ratio is that unless you're somehow inducing extra noise into the system, with digital recording you're dealing with an awfully quiet noise floor to begin with. So your signal is only 76 or 80 dB above the noise floor instead of 98. Big deal.

Anyway, read it. Sort of argues against trying to get those peak meters hitting zero on every single sound or normalizing all your individual audio files, doesn't it.

Message 16/25                 Date: 25-Nov-00  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

Frostbyte

"But this one goes to eleven..."
LOL, gotta rent that again.
Thanks for the link, up untill now, I tought my mackie was deffective cause the hats were leaking all over the board. Now I know it's normal, just me being ignorant B-) Very informative link for the newbie.

Message 17/25                 Date: 25-Nov-00  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

influx

Link?:  Link

good one damballah. informative read right there

Message 18/25                 Date: 25-Nov-00  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

johnny

i'll third that - great article. the mixing piece also has some invaluable info, especially about EQ practices (even though it's coming from a band ange, the info is still relevant)

Message 19/25                 Date: 25-Nov-00  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

damn!

a band angle...

Message 20/25                 Date: 25-Nov-00  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: How to put your Gains,and instruments

Frostbyte

an angle, now that's a hook right ?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum