0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: That Mysterious Professional Sound

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 22-Aug-00  @  07:00 PM   -   That Mysterious Professional Sound

azazello

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I am experimenting with making some drum & bass. I made some good standard loops, have good sounds, and I think, "Hey, this is pretty good." Then I listen to some tunes, such as anything by Ed Rush & Optical, DJ Trace, Nico, etc., and discover that my music sounds completely unprofessional! What gives it that "professional" sound? I realize that all songs are pretty unique, but they all have a polished sound in common. Is there anything specific I should be doing in the final mixdown or mastering phase? Any and all tips will be helpful.
Thanks!
Azazello

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/43                 Date: 26-Aug-00  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

formant

Link?:  Link

the only mastering products (non software and less than 1500usd) that i know of are the dbx quantum, the finalizer express, and the focusrite mixmaster

i haven't seen behringer here in the states since all of those lawsuits.

jamey

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/43                 Date: 27-Aug-00  @  04:51 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

johnny

I've heard of the Behringer mastering boxes, but never actually seen or heard any. There's the Ultramizer (£150) which is a 2-band affair with a few tricks up it's sleeve. Not very intuitive from what I've heard, capable of beefing up a track nicely but rather heavy handed. And there's no digital i/o possible. There's the Ultradyne (£350) which uses 6 bands of compression - sounds a bit over the top to me, 3 is plenty. It too has lots of features, is a lot more programmable but is in the same box as their Ultracurve - big display but all buttons, not even a data wheel. Digital i/o is an option on this I think, strange as it's an all-digital box - not like the Focusrite.

Sound is subjective, but I'd rather stick with TC's algorithms. They have a history in mastering (M5000's multiband programs are used in many mastering suites) and the technology has trickled down into the Finalizer series. Same with Focusrite - their Blue series is used in lots of mastering facilities.

Message 13/43                 Date: 30-Aug-00  @  05:57 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

i have an Vitalizer Jack which is cheapest version of SPL's product lline and it does decent job. I see it as a sort of "lazy-producer's-EQ" 'cos same could be done propably with parametric EQ... it does stil add something "magical" to mix but not as much as i expected. (Hell... I expected it do commercial sounding stuff with a flick of swtich)

Anyone used Ultrafex? How is it? I considered it but ended up buying vitalizer...

Message 14/43                 Date: 01-Sep-00  @  08:35 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

Jasper

I'm getting good results with the aphex 104. Definately gives mixes that glossy finish, even shit mess around stuff sounds like it's meant to be that way.

Using a compressor on the bass sounds alone makes mixing the whole track that mutch easier, mainly I can get the kick to sit over a really bassy line and not lose it's definition.

Message 15/43                 Date: 01-Sep-00  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

chris

Link?: Link

Any tips on what typical settings to use on a software multi-band compressor?

There are no pre-sets on the one I'm using...

Message 16/43                 Date: 02-Sep-00  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

johnny

Chris-

How many bands is it? Can you adjust the crossover frequencies? What other settings can you adjust? What ranges do they have?? Tell me more and I can help...

Message 17/43                 Date: 02-Sep-00  @  06:51 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

formant

i can send you my "generic" preset that i use as a starting point in soundforge if that is what you are using.

otherwise i will try to remember to go in and write down what all the settings are.

jamey

Message 18/43                 Date: 02-Sep-00  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

chris

Link?: Link

It's the Sonic Foundry multi-band dynamics (under Sound Forge)...

It's 4 band, and I think each band has it's own frequency parameters - which means it should cross-over.

Message 19/43                 Date: 02-Sep-00  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

johnny

Adjusting the crossovers visually should be OK. For starters try a 2:1 ratio on all bands, threshold of -11dB on all bands, 20ms attack on the top 2 bands and 30ms on the bottom 2. Release times should get longer as the frequencies get lower, so try 0.3s for the top, 0.45s for top-middle, 0.6s for bottom-middle, and 0.7s for the bottom band. To make the compression more subtle, ease up on the ratio, lengthen the attack and release times and raise the threshold a touch. To make it more aggressive, increase the ratio (no more than 6:1), lower the threshold, and shorten the attack and release times. If the compressor doesn't add make-up again automatically, as a general rule it should roughly correspond to the threshold setting.

Those are the basics, but try your own settings to tailor it to your own material.

Message 20/43                 Date: 04-Sep-00  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: That Mysterious Professional Sound

formant

you know johnny the mastering police are gonna come take us away for discussing this in the open like this...

the black art is being exposed! :-)

chris, did johnny sort you out or you still want me to email the preset?

jamey

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum