0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 10-Feb-00  @  09:07 PM   -   Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

syrusate

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Ok i use a yamaha rm1x as my main sequncer, but theres just some
stuff i dont like about it, and i also wanna see if im missing out on
anyhting. Someone told me that the akai mpc 2000 or xl,
would make a killer sequencer, not i thought the mpc was just a sampling drum machine, can it be used like a full blown sequencer? And would it kill the rm1x in terms of ease, live use and freedom for creativity? thanks

syrusate

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/22                 Date: 01-Sep-01  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

8life8

Yhea Congrats on the Mpc influx my man, I know your beats are inportant for you so don't over look the simplisity of it, as it's the most deadly beat mastro out there, here: try using a velo sensitif decay change between three sounds and setting the fader to decay, then use the note repeat hold and start breaking it down from crash to snare to slap bass CRACRACRARRAAASSSHHHHSSSNNNAARREEEESLAPSLAPSLAPp p p ... after a few songs you'll b flying high .. rs what the hell is that  

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/22                 Date: 02-Sep-01  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

influx

Link?:  Link

nah milan. the manual!!!

I just liked the way the RS looked on paper. but..those PADS!! on the mpc. play on, my friend

damn 8life8...sounds like youve got that thing WIRED. I actually got it more as a sequencer and wasnt quite sure how much writing Id be doing with it but it sounds like Id be an idiot not to dive in as deep as I can get.

idea was for live. I, like every other fucker here, think all the time about gettin up there and rockin a crowd (or generating a lot of blank stares ) and the MPC seemed the best. hehe plus the price I paid for it made it impossible for me NOT to buy it 

Message 13/22                 Date: 19-Sep-01  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Matt Hutch

8life8,

Can you clarify a lil bit? I don't have an MPC but I'm curious if the MPC really can do things that my sequencer, digital performer, cannot do.

Every gear decision I make is a trade off between power and portability. I chose a Macs laptop over the MPC. (and yes I too share the fanciful dream of rocking the live PA).

"try using a velo sensitif decay change between three sounds"

not sure what you mean here....

"and setting the fader to decay, then use the note repeat hold"

don't have note repeat hold, but I imagine it repeats notes... is there a rest between notes here?

"and start breaking it down from crash to snare to slap bass CRACRACRARRAAASSSHHHHSSSNNNAARREEEESLAPSLAPSLAPp p p ..."

are you saying that you're varying the decay envelope for each sample as you hit the pads?

Message 14/22                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

8life8

Matt- I don't think the mpc can do too much stuff that the preformer can't, in fact it would be the other way around, preformer is much much more powerful and fully featured than the mpc! the mpc only has all the basics, even a rm1x kills it feature wise.

note repeat is like you said just a way to retrigger the note at a sertain resolution, 8th 16th ect and note length is linked to the resulotion, e.i 8th note triggering 8th notes ..

ok. to simplify my above example, imagine in your preformer and you have three bars of 8th note triggering the same note, a snare sample for the first bar... on bar two you go into your piano rool and move the notes in the 2nd bar a note down to trigger a crash sample (assuming you have a sample kit layed out across the keybrd.) and in the third you do the same but for the slap bass sample, the mpc lets you do this realtime via the fader by assigning the decay sensitifity to switch to one of the three sounds at sertain points, this can also be done by usinng velocity (using the pressur sensitif pads to switch beetween samples), to do it realtime on a real sampler you could just have three pads with 8th note loop points so if you hold the pad it will reloop at a 8th note resolution and just jam on the keys!

if you know preformer and are fast working on it (short cuts) you might hate the mpc at first, but eventually due to its simplicity you'll be editing and expressing your self at lighting speed, but it has some major disadvantages and is in fact very limeted as a sampler, and don't expect the luxury of hyperdraw or any other visuallity, like chemical brothers said we use the mpc to make beats but we use the pc to do the arranging cos we have to see the music (they use a mpc3k) .. belive me it is not a very good sampler (the filter yes thats filter not filters is weak so and the rest of the sampler is very limeted jut AD envelopes no normalation no pitch or other type of mod no lfo's no filter sweeps etc etc.. and it can be a mind buzzing thing to get your complete arrangemet done and likely frusterating if you are used to the visual luxury,. I on the other hand prefer the mpc just becouse it suits my style and method of working ..

Message 15/22                 Date: 20-Sep-01  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Maarten

Link?: Link

You can assign measures to the repeat/ hold button as you do when step-sequencing... hold down the button, select the right pad/sound and it starts rolling... velocity sensitive aswell 

Message 16/22                 Date: 30-Sep-01  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

8life8

Yes the velocity sensitive pads are luvly arn't they, like I said befor its all about conviniance, it may not be feature packed but the basics are right there: dedicated note repeat, fader & erase button undo/redo (instant)..its just very expressif unit (within its limts of features, but expression is only limeted by you and your creatifity, not features (303 anyone   .. yes simplicity is a buitiful thing ..

Message 17/22                 Date: 01-Oct-01  @  11:43 AM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Maarten

redo? How? Not taking a piss at you, just hoping I've never noticed... ;)

-M-

Message 18/22                 Date: 01-Oct-01  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

8life8

jeez .. Martin, how long have you had your mpc   .. but yes just press the undo button again and vanilla redone ..

Message 19/22                 Date: 02-Oct-01  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Maarten

Damn I feel stupid, thanks!

Message 20/22                 Date: 02-Oct-01  @  05:43 PM   -   RE: Mpc 2000 to replace yamaha rm1x?

Maarten

Ohh, almost a year now... damn, hehe

-M-

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum