0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Anyone else...?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 16-Feb-03  @  07:24 PM   -   Anyone else...?

Def Z

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Following the America's Cup? Can Team New Zealand overcome the 0-2 deficit to Alinghi? And if Alinghi wins this year, where will the finals be held next time, Lake Geneva?

Okay - so I KNOW I'm the only one interested in sailing - but I had to ask because I know a couple of Australians and NZ'ers troll here...

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/19                 Date: 19-Feb-03  @  03:37 AM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

queasy00

Link?:  Link

yeah.. sailing IS pretty damn hard! i was learning in one of those albacors (whatever they're called) one summer.. man.. everytime we turned i'd capsize the boat... i just couldn't do it so i learned to do a dry-capsize ;p

it's pretty cool to see in real life (espeically those lasers with the mast parallel to the water!)...

but the whole attitude of: "if you want to be successful you have to learn to sail and play golf" totally pisses me off.

anyway.. that's how it was over here ;(

-j

ps: krisgot: curling looks kinda fun tho! but yeah, watching IS boring ;)

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/19                 Date: 19-Feb-03  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Hey DefZ, maybe it's just that sailing actually concerns something other than chasing little balls around on a field/court.... =P

Message 13/19                 Date: 19-Feb-03  @  12:03 PM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

§ï†ÅR

Demolition derby sailing would catch my interest. I love sailing but watching it is a bit like watching golf. I'm sure golf is fun to play cuz you're out on a green walking around in a t-shirt on a nice day usually.

Message 14/19                 Date: 19-Feb-03  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

moonunit

solar wind sailing would catch my attention.

and i've sailed myself, for two weeks once.
it's just so... 19th century :p

Message 15/19                 Date: 19-Feb-03  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

k

lol @ Filthy McNasty  

yes I realise showjumping is an 'olympic sport', but to my mind to make things like that, or sailing $100 zillion dollar boats with hulls woven from boron fibre, mars bacteria & himalayan lesser-spotted bush-babys' foreskins or some such ultra-expensive stuff, a 'sport' is cobblers cos the participants are restricted by wealth as to their involvement surely?.

I mean your average person can't afford a top flight champion showjumping horse, insurance, stabling & training fees, feed, tack, box and 4x4, vet & farrier fees, and then the tens or possibly hundreds thousands required to ship all that to an event overseas.... it's nuts to include it in an Olympic or any other 'sport' calander... What next?... an Olympic 'who owns the most expensive car' challenge?

Also, Olympic air-rifle shooting is another rivetting event, almost as electric as 'Olympic curling' in fact! - Perhaps they should liven things up with Olympic 'drive-by' shooting, fencing to the death with fully sharpened foils... heading the shot and catching the javelin too would be entertaining!

I cant wait till next time when someone'll break a record by 0.00000000000000000000002 of a second - *yawn*

c'mon really Def z - sailing!... it's almost as tedious as F1  

Message 16/19                 Date: 19-Feb-03  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

pict

LOL! I couldn't agree more the main reason most people give for watching motor racing is the crashes.

Message 17/19                 Date: 19-Feb-03  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

Mindspawn

Obviously I'm in the wrong thread... IMHO all sports are generally rubbish... They boor the shit out of me.. Howver, I do follow F1 (feck off, K!!!), but methinks it's possibly like pict says, I watch it hoping the poor bastard will crash the multi million dollar car...

Off to play footie in the snow...

Message 18/19                 Date: 19-Feb-03  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

Def Z

When referring to the America's Cup, everything you say is absolutely true. It's all about technology and money. No question about it. But there are other ways to sail that are as expensive as the marijuana habits of people on this board. SERIOUSLY. Sailboat racing takes many forms - most of them NOT reported in the papers, but just as competitive and fun. You can get into a good small sailboat for $1000 (US), and have years of fun sailing against lots of other people in the same boat.

As much as I LOVE the America's Cup, it's not representative of the sailing world. I have been sailing all my life, and no, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Like most of the people I grew up sailing with, I am the child of a blue collar family whose disposable income went to sailing. It's like any other hobby. Learning to sail is NOT expensive, but getting into some of the exclusive yacht clubs can be. I was never part of those...

As far as excitement goes - until you learn to sail and get into a race, you'll never believe a word I say. I'm a sports fan in general - I've been known to take in a 'footy' match here and there - but there's nothing as exciting as a sailboat race. Watching sailing isn't the most exciting thing, yes, but's it's a lot more interesting than watching someone chase a small white ball around a field. There's more action, and there's more strategy. :-)

Message 19/19                 Date: 20-Feb-03  @  04:16 AM   -   RE: Anyone else...?

psylichon

it makes me laugh how many times stoners are inadvertantly put down for their habit around here! leave me out of it, damnit!  

j/k I couldn't care less, i'm high.

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum