0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: MONITORS?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 20-Oct-01  @  04:20 PM   -   MONITORS?

amileunderground

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm looking for some good monitors with some bottom end. How about the events or the Mackies self powered, are these a good choice?

I do mostly hip hop and down tempo.

Thanks......

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/19                 Date: 23-Oct-01  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: MONITORS?

k

i think more people should look at those Richard-Allen R8's cos selling direct they are well cheap, and very nice speakers for nearfeild.Also spare drivers are readily available.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/19                 Date: 23-Oct-01  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: MONITORS?

bedwyr

Link?: Link

yup, those control 1's, and they'd blown the tweeter on one of them (do they have tweeters? maybe they only had 1 speaker!!!?)it really must be what your used to ...

Message 13/19                 Date: 23-Oct-01  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: MONITORS?

Brett B

true ns-10's and HR-824's are very diferant, I was refering to the amount of low end coloration when i said my ds-90's were in the middle. They are warmer than ns-10's, but not so full and colored like the mackies. Don't dismiss the ns-10's. There is a reason they are found in so many studios being used as nearfeild for a/b'ing mixes. If You want your hip hop to sound good in the club, in the car, and on boom boxes, small nearfeilds will have to be used. If you want to do some bass under 60hz, use a subwoffer. Event makes a 3 piece system for under $600 that has two powered nearfeilds and a powered sub. Should work fine for what you are doing.

Message 14/19                 Date: 24-Oct-01  @  04:13 AM   -   RE: MONITORS?

Pongoid

These guys make REALLY nice speakers for not a lot of money. Also, see if you can find a used Bryston amp to power them, and you should be pretty stylin. Genelecs are nice, but they're REALLY expensive, as are dynaudio, but you get what you pay for. Hr824's adjusted properly are not overly colored or bass-heavy.

Ape

Message 15/19                 Date: 24-Oct-01  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: MONITORS?

steve

they`re selling the genelec 1029s with matching sub for 700 quid now, I haven`t listened to the buggers but they must be worth a listen at that price if you`re in the market for monitors.

You really like those DS90s Brett? SOS gave them a right old slagging off and thats not usually like them to risk upsetting their advertisers quite so badly.

Message 16/19                 Date: 24-Oct-01  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: MONITORS?

k

didn't NS10's come with a sub-woofer.. i could have sworn there was an accompanying optional sub-box for them or am i dreaming?...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 17/19                 Date: 24-Oct-01  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: MONITORS?

nomad

Link?:  Link

prorec didn't like them either - http://www.prorec.com
has a shootout of powered monitors right now... liked the mackies
the best, liked the ds90s the least iirc. oriented towards recording engineers though (recording live instruments and vocals, not just synths)...

Message 18/19                 Date: 24-Oct-01  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: MONITORS?

Brett B

At the time I only had my Ds2416 card, and the spdif input sold me on the ds90's. My mixes went from hit and miss, to were i wnated them, so i am happy. The makcies were $300 more and didn't have digatali/o. I am happy. The ns-10's have a sub, but it's twice as much as a pair of ns-10's.

I know, that is why I mentioned the genelics. They have come down in price, so if it were a choice now, I would have just spent the extra cash and got the genelic nearfeilds and sub.

Message 19/19                 Date: 24-Oct-01  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: MONITORS?

99devils

K - I think you're thinking of the MSP-10s

There's a great review and shootout of nearfields at http://www.prorec.com (Sorry K)

Anyways, the most important thing about monitors is that you get to know them. It can be NS10s or HR824s or a 10k pair of whatevers, but you still have to kown your speakers in your room with your ears.

Both the Event 20/20s (I use these) and the HR824s are decent speakers. IMHO, the 20/20s are a little bit hard to accurately get a feel for how much bass is in your track. A lot of people suffer from muddy mixes using 20/20s. Again, though, that comes down to knowing your monitors and how they translate to the rest of the world's listening equipment.

Good luck!

-Craig
-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum