0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 09-Apr-00  @  03:34 PM   -   Dynamics, dynamics,dynamics.....

lastmanstanding

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

If anyone needs some tips let me know.... I've been playing real (yes real!!)drums for some years now. And I've also been sequencing. First things first, learn the accents!!! I've heard so much techno that sounds stiff & has no dynamics. And make it busy, you can still have that generic techno sound, but make it have a cool flavor. Something different now & then. Please....I'm so bored with so much stuff that people think is cool, and anyone w/ a sequencer & a drum machine can make up in about 2 minutes.......

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/19                 Date: 13-Apr-00  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

ModAsBlue

Link?: Link

Uhh, no I'm not Lastmanstanding! But as I understand that he is a drummer I wish I were. (I was born with hesitant hands :-(

As for Detroit, well...

The scene that everyone worships is of the past, unfortunately. I am too young to have know it. One advantage, however, is that I've seen all the Detroit greats in some very intimate settings.

Carl Craig, Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Jeff Mills, Kenny Larkin...at least one of the above is around every month (cept for Mills...he had a big concert-type show that was cancelled recently for lack of ticket sales, can you believe it! everyone in Detroit pays at the door, I guess, because there definately was NOT a lack of INTEREST!)

Nowadays Detroit's scene is probably above average as far as the talent we get in, but that's most likely due to the size of the market. In a metro area of 5 Million (Detroit of course is ALL metro area and NO city because the city proper is like hell on earth...you have to have been there to know! It looks like post-apocalyptic ruin at 4am) there are plenty of rave kids to draw in. I'm not saying there are no rising stars, but only that it's not the wealth of innovation that it used to be. Finally, the RACE ISSUE fucks things up pretty bad on many levels.. Suburban whites (of which I am one) are probably far more racist than average...Oakland county is the 3rd richest county in the country but Wayne (Detroit) is probably among the poorest. And it all goes back to slavery...alas...

I ramble...

My tracks? I'm working on it. My biggest deficiency is in my incessant perfectionism. I so harsh a critic of others that I want my own work to be as good as possible before I ever post... I'm a big talker but a weasly little bastard!

BTW I do straight up techno that leans towards trance for some reason...I really hate trance proper but I think I lean trancy because of my previous musical background in indie rock...hmmm...who knows...I like pretty music...

ttyl

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/19                 Date: 13-Apr-00  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

lastmanstanding

What are you talking about ModAsBlue???? Is this Jerry Springer or a music site???

Message 13/19                 Date: 14-Apr-00  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

ModAsBlue

Sorry...just explaining Detroit for the Joe who mentioned it...

Compress the shit out of this beat to get generic hard techno

(low threshold, high ratio)

I like about a -30db threshold and infinity to one ratio for the most obnoxious effect

yay

big deal

Message 14/19                 Date: 14-Apr-00  @  05:41 AM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

Jasper

It's sort of both, yeah post em up  .

Message 15/19                 Date: 21-Apr-00  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Mod, you're a Detroit kid, and think the greats have passed? Mad Mike is still doing it quite well, as is Rolando, and I know Drexciya are still around (although sources say the new stuff isn't as cool as the old stuff was). Go to Submerge. It's still kickin.

Ape

Message 16/19                 Date: 24-Apr-00  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

ModAsBlue

Pongoid -

I've seen Rolando but I don't remember him at all...

The locals that stick out in my mind are Derek Plaslaiko and Kieth Kemp...they always impress me with totally solid REAL TECHNO sets...

Wilhelm K isn't bad for straight up house

Punisher used to do BAD ASS swedish sets

But the thing is...the scene is SOOOOO SCHETCHY that I don't even go anymore...it's not worth it...fuckin' junkies everywhere askin "you got pills? who's got pills????" (FUCK OFF!) and fucking shootings and cops and

eck...

I'm moving to Cleveland! CLEANER!!! (no, that's not like the MAIN reason I'm moving...but it's in the top five)

Oh and as far as production goes...well I'm not a DJ so I don't know a LOT of names...

However, the Innerzone Orchestra and Time/Space (the later seem to be Derrick May's proteges) are doing some wicked Jazz/Techno fusion...maybe that will spread...

I just bought this CD... "Comin From the D (troit)" of Detroit Ghetto tek and it totally didn't impress me...Punisher layed down this track that was probably just a sample ripped from HERE and repeated over and OVER and OVER and OVER again...

But she's as CUTE as they come, so she gets a record out, I guess.

Message 17/19                 Date: 26-Apr-00  @  08:59 AM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

pulaski

hi modasblue.

so you're from the detroit area... i recently have been exposed to some really great detroit stuff at this party in new york on saturdays called tru skul. they sorta specialize in bringing in djs from detroit and chicago, or at least with that "sound." heard some great sets from anthony shakir, robert hood, theo parrish, boo williams and TRAXX, who is just fucking insane (in a good way). it's a really intimate space with a pretty good vibe. no candy ravers, k-holers, etc. anyway, i'm glad i've been properly exposed to the detroit sound because i'm really feeling it. i particularly like stuff with that really minimalist, filtered percussion loopy kinda sound. i'm eager to hear/learn more. i'd like to incorporate this sound into music that i make. and i'd love to hear your stuff whenever you have something you'd want to share. sorry this post is sorta pointless. just wanted to share my enthusiasm. and hey, i come from a more indie-rockish background as well. still trying to find the link between heavenly and derrick may ;-)

ps. have you read that 'techno rebels' book by dan sicko? i thought it was pretty interesting

Message 18/19                 Date: 26-Apr-00  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

ModAsBlue

Woops...

Dude, that's tight as fuck. See, we don't even get that shit around here anymore...

I can't believe you saw TRAXX! I saw him once in my initial raver phase when it was all about taking as many pills as you could in a night. Then I bought a couple of his mix tapes and I LOVE that old-school rare-groove house shit he spins.

The last time I saw Derrick May he was spinning this very different shit...way more percussive than the normal "detroit" style...and very minimal but evolving. A lot of times its hard for me time find good "techno" CDs in music shops because of what my limited DETROIT perception of what techno is...

I can't really explain it...I have certain expectiations that are disappointed by guys like Luke Slater and Carl Cox.

ANyway...hey man, Brooklyn's gotta be pretty tight. I saw Adam X twicce in a span of a couple months and I really liked what he was doing...he has a mix CD on Wax Trax that's pretty decent but very unlike what he played when I saw him live (copyright clearance problems?)

Anyway, if you wanna talk techno...

modasblu@tir.com

Message 19/19                 Date: 29-Apr-00  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: Get rid of the lame stuff.......

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Mod, sounds like things have gone even more to shit thatn they usually are there. Damn, dude. Sorry to hear that. New York's still got it kickin. Just played a really nice party last night. Set went well, the crowd went nuts, I'm happy. Don't know if I want to come play Detroit after a report like that. Shootings at parties? Don't know that I'm down with that. SO are you doing 'Detroit-ish' stuff?

Ape

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum