0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Headphone Mixing Advice

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 20-Nov-00  @  01:58 PM   -   Headphone Mixing Advice

fusion

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I (for reasons of neighbours!) need to start mixing on 'phones. I'll of course do my final mixes on my ns10's but my question is;

what are the best phones for the job?

Thanks.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/17                 Date: 28-Nov-00  @  02:10 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

k

beyer dt series like the ubiquitous DT100 - those are the flat sqaure ones with a grey plkastic cusion you always see in TV documentaries of pewople working in studio's...

i like to check the mix on cans after a days rest... small subtle level's strike you then... but i dont do a main setup-mix on cans, just to check fine detail & how it sounds in cans...

you want cans that are designed to get a good flat respose without the 'cup' accenting the bass end.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/17                 Date: 20-Dec-00  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

mitub

Turns out the DT's are slightly buggered - one size buzzes loudly with really low bass whilst the other doesn't make a sound - seeing as the bass is the main reason I got them (so I can hear whats going on down there at 1am without causing grief to neighbours) I'm a bit pissed off. In agreement about the 'bass-cup' business, didn't occur to me at the time

Also a little suspicious as the guy at the Guitar, Amp & Keyboard center who didn't let me test them with any rich bass - "non of these units do that kind of thing" but he did test them with pretty much everything else - and they looked quite mucky for a brand new pair of headphones... Heard quite a few bad things about the electronic section of the Guitar/Amp/Keyboard center (Brighton) come to think of it though that could be a coincidence of late I guess.

Christmas is nearly here!!! can't wait!

Message 13/17                 Date: 21-Dec-00  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

Jasper

wait...

you've bought some supposedly new headphones.. and they don't work correctly...

so...

your going to take them back right and demand reembursment right?

if they give you any crap about 2 week return policy.. just tell em they sold you something that isn't fit for the job it's intended and unless they refund you, you'll take it to trading standards... that usually does the trick. if it don't .. take it to trading standards.

Message 14/17                 Date: 21-Dec-00  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

mitub

Very true. Its just hastle I could do without right now, they shouldn't have sold them to me like that as new (I'm pretty sure they weren't) - its a pretty obvious defect.

I don't generally moan all the time by the way.

Message 15/17                 Date: 22-Dec-00  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

Jasper

but you can put the cash towards a good pair.. the longer you leave it, the more difficult it is to convince them they were like it when you paid for them.

don't see it as hassle, see it as a chance to have a battle with some idiot shop assistant who's main interest in electronic music is synthesised classical shit.

it should be a fun experience, remember to say these words at some point 'lying to sell goods' / 'false pretenses' / 'no way to run a business' / pathetic attempt to palm crap gear off on trustworthy customers' / 'a great way to line your pockets aint it, who thought of this one?' / 'bunch of ignorant wankers' etc etc.

Message 16/17                 Date: 22-Dec-00  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

k

heh heh - c'mon mate a few messages up you were saying they were perfect!! - admit it!... you blew the bass-end with too much volume on the sub-bass :-)

Message 17/17                 Date: 11-Jan-01  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

mitub

haha! I can see how it might look that way.

ehmmm. actually you might have a point there... thing that gets me is that they're only buggered in one side. its possible thou.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum