0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mixdown (Yamaha 01v)

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 05-Mar-01  @  10:17 PM   -   Mixdown (Yamaha 01v)

tomas

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

When I play back my own tracks from cd and compare these to commercial cds it seems that the commercial cd's sounds a bit louder. I find this pretty strange cos I usually turn the output on my 01v as loud as possible without reaching clip. Even if I normalize the track in Soundforge I don't get the desired result!! I record the digital out of my 01v into a Live platinum card using soundforge. For sequencing I use Cakewalk. Any suggestions?!?!?!!

/Tomas

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/16                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  06:05 PM   -   RE: Mixdown (Yamaha 01v)

8life8

why do does the sound jump up in volume like crazy when the first hit goes through the 01v compressors, fxample when my 808 snare comes in the first hit will sound way way way too loud but after the first hit its cool then the 808 drops out for a few bars and agaian when it comes in again "first hit" bang to loud! why? r my setting weird anyone else have this problem ??

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/16                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: Mixdown (Yamaha 01v)

99devils

Link?: Link

Your attack setting is too long on the compressor, or your threshold is too high, or both. The initial hit is getting through the comp unattenuated.

-Craig

Message 13/16                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: Mixdown (Yamaha 01v)

8life8

thx man I'll look into it .. so the first hit is getting through un-compressed? ..why only the first hit cos the attack? then why not the second ? becouse the release of the first hit? ..I keep my threshold very low most of the time.. i.e compressing all of the sound... dunno I'm new to compressors and I'm tryng to get a compressed effect/sound but it seam that digital compression is more to shape the sound rather than actually give it that "compressed sound"

Message 14/16                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Mixdown (Yamaha 01v)

Jasper

attack on a compressor means how long it takes to start compressing, so if you set it to 400ms then 400ms worth of sound will pass through the compressor without being compressed before the unit kicks in, this is how you get those punchy sounds. set it to 0 and it will compress instantly, set the release to something fast and then try various ratio/threshold levels, to hear the effect more set a high ratio and a low threshold, but this probably won't sound too musical. mastrering limiters are better at this kind of thing.. the db-audioware plugins sound good.

Message 15/16                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Mixdown (Yamaha 01v)

99devils

Link?: Link

Yes, exactly.. The attack time is too long, so the attack of the first hit is getting through uncompressed.. Then the volume level doesn't dip below the threshold until the kick drops out, so you're getting your compressed kick sound until then. When the kick comes back in, the first attack comes through and then the rest compressed.. Is this accurate?

-Craig

Message 16/16                 Date: 02-May-01  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: Mixdown (Yamaha 01v)

Spybase

Link?:  Link

t-racks is indeed the bomb. i want a hardware version to stick my mix through before it goes out live over a PA but i reckon i'd be looking at a couple of grand...

on the subject, does anyone use multi-band limiting for live stuff, and if not, why not?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum