0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: commercial vs own style

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 10-Nov-00  @  05:48 PM   -   commercial vs own style

unknown_talent

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

hey!
it's been 2 year that I've been making music, I have a pretty unique style by now, but whenever I send my stuff to other musicians, they tell me: "cool, but you need to make it more commercial ... bla" well now I did and all of the sudden people started visiting my page ... strange huh ? what do you think about that?
www.mp3.com/unknown_talent

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/16                 Date: 15-Nov-00  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: commercial vs own style

pongoid

Well, at least as long as you live.......

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/16                 Date: 15-Nov-00  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: commercial vs own style

unknown_talent

Link?: Link

hehe
thanks again, could I have your email adress ?

Message 13/16                 Date: 21-Nov-00  @  01:49 AM   -   RE: commercial vs own style

Serfiss

hmmmmm... I couldn't help but notice all this.
Pongoid, exactly what type of music is it exactly that you make that doesn't use loops or repeat.
I personally thought that all dance music used the loop. The premice being that kids on the dancefloor hear a phat groove and they dance to it, and it gets into their heads and they love it.
If it plays once and is then gone, well, I wouldn't dance.
What you're describing sounds like New Age- and I like new age, Steve Roche, Mike Oldfield, Tomita, but none of this is really danceable.
To get someone into your music you need some sort of hook. Not necesarrily a simple repeated few notes, but a melody, some sort of well defined theme.
That's my bit.
I love this website, I only recently discovered it.
Peace.

Message 14/16                 Date: 22-Nov-00  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: commercial vs own style

k

Link?:  No link

thanx for the props for the site... did you know there is this couple in Britain somewhere, and they have this studio in their place in the country and it's FULL of drums and other world instruments, and they chuck out ambient & new-age music and they sell SHITLOADS !!!!... direct they keep ALL the profits.. nice!.. i was round me mates the other day and she'd just got a that double 'Sounds of India' ambient cd double with the red-label... nice toons, i got some Phantasm stuff with tracks done using Amazonian Indians water-slapping rythms as the basis, that is a cool CD... (Phil from Novation mastered it on a Korg 'Soundlink' system and it is an awesome quality ambient CD - i would really recommend it: 'Surrender to the vibe' - Phantasm records. (PTM 132)

Message 15/16                 Date: 27-Nov-00  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: commercial vs own style

Pongoid

Try this trick. You use two hardware sequencers, and you set up one to do a loop in say...35 beats, or 65, or something, that gives one nice long odd timed loop, then you set another to do something like 24 beats. You can certainly get danceable grooves in that period of time, and the won't loop around on each other completely for whatever the product of both beat lengths is, and hopefully you're into different sounds in different arrangements by then. That should get you started. It doesn't have to sound new agey at all.
It can be as nasty as you wanna be.  

Ape

Message 16/16                 Date: 28-Nov-00  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: commercial vs own style

BJT

Link?:  No link

Nice Idea  

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum