0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Trip to the Moon

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 12-Feb-03  @  06:25 PM   -   Trip to the Moon

errata

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

When NASA was preparing for the Apollo Project, it took the Astronauts to a Navajo reservation in Arizona for training. One day, a Navajo elder and his son came across the space crew walking among the rocks.
The elder, who spoke only Navajo, asked a question. His son translated for the NASA people: "What are these guys in the big suits doing?" One of the astronauts said that they were practicing for a trip to the moon.
When his son relayed this comment, the Navajo elder got all excited and asked if it would be possible to give to the astronauts a message to deliver to the moon.
Recognizing a promotional opportunity when he saw one, a NASA official accompanying the astronauts said, "Why certainly!" and told an underling to get a tape recorder.
The Navajo elder's comments into the microphone were brief. The NASA official asked the son if he would translate what his father had said. The son listened to the recording and laughed uproariously but he refused to translate.
So the NASA people took the tape to a nearby Navajo village and played it for other members of the tribe. They too laughed long and loudly but also refused to translate the elder's message to the moon.
Finally, an official government translator was summoned. After he finally stopped laughing the translator relayed the message:
"Watch out for these pricks. They have come to steal your land."

e

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/15                 Date: 13-Feb-03  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: Trip to the Moon

Jock

Yeah I think thats Cosmos. Its been around for bloody ages. I always remember seeing Carl Sagan on programmes. He was always involved with the JPL, Jet Propulsion Lab. Involved with most of the space exploration stuff. I think he wrote fiction as well.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/15                 Date: 14-Feb-03  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: Trip to the Moon

errata

The film was Contact from the book of the same name...

Big brain there... check out Pale Blue Dot. Very enciteful...

e

Message 13/15                 Date: 14-Feb-03  @  12:22 AM   -   RE: Trip to the Moon

milan

Link?: Link

Contact! thats right, was pretty good, they didnt spoil it at all for the film. nice, for a change.

Message 14/15                 Date: 14-Feb-03  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: Trip to the Moon

Jock

jeez I must of been drunk last night to start going on about Carl Sagan.

Does anyone have some asprin ?

Message 15/15                 Date: 14-Feb-03  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: Trip to the Moon

krisgot

Link?: Link

Books much better than the film... but yeah Milan I agree.. they got away with a decent movie.

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum