0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Try it out

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 23-Jun-02  @  10:37 PM   -   Try it out

Gromyko

Link?:  Link
File?:  [image]

[image file]

Finally - my first track at Dancetech.

Any and all comments are appreciated, whether positive or "constructive".

There's a "hifi" stereo version available at gromyko.com.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/15                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Try it out

Maarten

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Impressive gear list you have there   yeah and about the track... in all hounesty, I'm open to alot but this didn't really bring any mood for me, well except for some impatience I guess. Mix sounds clean indeed but I'm not trusting these speakers to say for sure... Couldn't comment on anything else otherwise I'd be advising you to make some aggresive acid / techno with those bunch of toys but this is probably your thing and I'll respect that.

cheers,
-M-

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/15                 Date: 25-Jul-02  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Try it out

Gromyko

I'm back from the longest vacation I ever had. Slightly jetlagged or something, too.
I appreciate your comments, I'll get back to them over the next couple of days.

Message 13/15                 Date: 25-Jul-02  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Try it out

megahead

Link?:  No link

Remember Streets of Rage on the SEGA Megadrive?This track brought me right back to the boss levels,even the 8 bars of the Mc hammer bassline gave me a relapse.

First of all I have to stress that I hate slap bass and I hate pitch bend on lead instraments even more so,I presume with all that kit you are capable of knocking something a hell of a lot better up,if not then get programming and promise never ever to use presets ever again.

Message 14/15                 Date: 26-Jul-02  @  03:42 PM     Edit: 26-Jul-02  |  10:58 PM   -   RE: Try it out

Gromyko

I kinda like the slap bass, but I can see that quite a few of you really dislike it so I suppose I'll stop using it.

I guess influx is right that it's hard to make a slap bass line sound good, probably because the sound sticks out like a sore thumb. The bass line becomes really obvious, so it darn better be good if you want to use a sound like that.

I don't buy the preset fobia, tho. As a few of you have pointed out, I have good gear. However, as I'm still a novice at this, I have to start somewhere. There is so much to learn about every piece of gear, and I really feel that starting with making my own patches would be starting in the wrong end.

I also feel like the idea that my gear should dictate my style is wrong - the gear is supposed to allow me to implement my ideas.

My main focus on "try it out" was to make the mix sound good, using just slightly modified preset sounds, no arps, hardly any effects but quite a bit of dynamics. I didn't work much with the melody itself, but I think I managed to get a couple of good ideas into the track.

When I get to the point where I feel like my mixing skills are good enough, I'll start experimenting a bit with filter sweeps, effects and other kinds of tweaking. At some point, I'll make my own patches from scratch, but before I start that I want to learn more about composing techniques.

I guess I'm doing this stuff in the opposite order of what most of you did ?

Message 15/15                 Date: 27-Jul-02  @  11:20 PM     Edit: 28-Jul-02  |  12:52 AM   -   RE: Try it out

Gromyko

sitar,

I suppose this is going to make me look stupid, but whattehey... What, exactly, is a "pad" ?

I'm using some strings and somebody is whistling in the background at some point, is that close to what you're talking about ? And/or is that stuff too subtle ?

And I agree it's too short. I may or may not make a longer version when I'm done picking yall's brains...

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum