0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: getting the kick balanced

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 10-May-02  @  08:19 PM   -   getting the kick balanced

Brett

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I have this issue that I get the kick right in the intro, then it's not right in the mix, and if it's right in the mix it's way to thumpy in the inro and breaks. Do mix engineers ride the volume on the kick to keep it right in diferant parts, or am I not compressing the kick enough?
I get it to sit better ith comp on the final mix, but I may be over doing it to fix this.

any tips !

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/15                 Date: 15-May-02  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Pongoid

Link?: Link

I don't know about these other fools, but I ride the fuck out of my mixes, when I can, or automate. Of course your stuff's going to compress differently when you have different things coming in and out of your mix. Mixers have automation to do that. This nonsense about one style of music or another, is just that. You want the sound? Work it, dude. THAT'S engineering. That's the difference between playing a mix, putting your touch on it, and making the best sound you can get come out of whatever you're using, and just hitting play letting, and letting some fucking preset/program do your job for you, so that it just sounds like a machine. It may not come out perfect. So what? It comes out ALIVE. Don't be afraid to manipulate your mix. If you don't have the automation, rehearse the mix a few times to get it right. You'll get it sooner or later. Good luck.

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/15                 Date: 15-May-02  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Brett

Link?:  No link

what i generally end up doing is getting it right in the heavy part of the mix, then during mastering , I just compress the intro or kick solo a little more until it sounds tight all the way through. I saw this being done in book I read about mastering, but I thought maybe it would be easier to just do it in the mixing stage.

got any fail-safe eq settings for a big bottom 909 thud.Delerium- " Silence, Sanctuary mix " comes to mind. I find cutting around the 300-400 helps when you bring up the gain on the comp. I think I would like the kick better if i had it going through a nice tube comp instead of an RCL. These software plugs can only do so much. I am not getting the meat i want from just the kick. I do when the bass is layered. Do I need to send it through a bass head, or magneto or somthing like that?

Message 13/15                 Date: 15-May-02  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Zink

Link?:  No link

Still sounds like you have a few reinforcement issues with the kick/bass interplay.

If it's bothering you so much, how about making a slightly fuller version of the kick that fires by itself and then use the regular one that works with the bass. It's a hack, but at least it gives you variation.

Why not post your loops one with just kick and one with bass and kick. It would be easier to figure out what's going on.

Mong.

Message 14/15                 Date: 15-May-02  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

knowa

Link?:  Link

or layered with a nice cardboard box smaple...

Message 15/15                 Date: 16-May-02  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: getting the kick balanced

Brett

Link?: Link

that damn box again! well, I really have it in the end, but it requires me to do differing eq and compresion on the final stereo mixdown.

I'll post up a sample of the kick I want and the one I have and we can go from there. Probably be tomorow. Got work late. I am at work now.. maybe I should actually do somthing here.. see ya!

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum