0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Richie Hawtin last night at Centro

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  08:36 PM   -   Richie Hawtin last night at Centro

Matt Hutch

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

So did anyone else see Richie Hawtin last night at Centro-Fly?

IMO, if you didn't, you didn't miss much. The highlight of the night was when his integrated laptop turntable apparatus (what is it called?) went haywire unbeknownst to him.

Funniest part bout it was that he didn't realize until like 10 minutes later.

It all started as an intermittent scratching sound, kinda like scratching a record, only nastier. Then it started happening more freqently. Soon it was happening constantly, only he couldn't hear it in the booth for some reason. It was like this blistering tin foil pain from hell digital scratch sound, over and over and over. Only it was happening rythmically, like his fancy lil turntable apparatus was etching a digital sample back and forth creating clip and bloody-eared clip. So it was happening rhythmically, so in a weird way, it kinda worked. So as half the dance floor looked to one another in confusion, the other danced like crazed babboons!

But as for the rest of his site. I mean, I was really expecting more. I saw him last year at Twilo, which was a good show. And I mean, last night at centro was a good show too. But its been a year and would expect a little more growth from an dj of the character.

Perhaps this is totally unfair. Perhaps I should only ever expect to hear style X from Richie Hawtin. But for some reason, I went out last night expecting to hear more than the old 'raise the high pass filter for a couple measures, bring in the next track, drop the sub-bass, open the filter' over and over and over.

I expected to hear suprises, I expected to hear the sound of techno moving forward, advancing in some way.

Instead I heard rehashed, re-worked, recycled records, one a carbon copy of the next.

Can someone please set me straight?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/14                 Date: 09-Nov-01  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: Richie Hawtin last night at Centro

Christopher Popovski/synewav

Link?: Link

FINALSCRATCH.COM

Richie is YEARS ahead of his time, Consumed, DE9, and DE9:Closer to the Edit are some of the most brilliant things done with Techno.
Don't fry me for saying this but I think Minimalism goes over a lot of peoples heads.

PEACE

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/14                 Date: 09-Nov-01  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: Richie Hawtin last night at Centro

swanofnever

some days consumed sounds like art.

most days, it sounds like "hmm... a kick with reverb... but wait!!! i'm going to change the kick sound! YES!!! and now, I'M CHANGING THE REVERB TOO!!!! IT'S A PLATE NOW!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!!"

there's a very fine line between minimal and boring.

Message 13/14                 Date: 10-Nov-01  @  01:38 AM   -   RE: Richie Hawtin last night at Centro

bl_nd

de9 wasnt what i'd hoped it would be. oh well.

Message 14/14                 Date: 12-Nov-01  @  12:53 AM   -   RE: Richie Hawtin last night at Centro

milan

Link?:  Link

lol for swanofnever  

thats how i view most of plasticman stuff anyway...

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum