0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Insert here?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 20-Sep-99  @  01:57 PM   -   Insert here?

cutoff_freq

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

can some one please explain to me what the inserts are for on a mixer? i read somewhere that these are where dynamic processors should be patched. is this true?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/14                 Date: 31-Oct-99  @  03:51 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

cutoff freq

ok, i get it now

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/14                 Date: 10-Nov-99  @  04:50 AM   -   RE: Insert here?

stephenb

"Btw, don't use the fx returns on your mixer to return the signal from the effects processors. Use one of your stereo channel strips."

Why?

Message 13/14                 Date: 13-Nov-99  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: Insert here?

cyclop

look at it like this.take a stereo yack and two monoyacks,and two leads.(the wires).make the mass and the core off the leades bare on the ends just as when jou are going to solder a mono lead.on one end of the two leads you solder ,in the usual way, the monoyacks.
now you have two leads with a monojack on one end. take the stereoyack.solder from each of the two leads the mass wires to the one mass of the stereoyack.now solder one of the tipleads of the monoyacks two the ring of the stereoyack and the other to the tip of the stereo yack.
when you are done you have produced a
Y-cable.if you put the stereo yack in to the insert socket you interupt the signal,coming from the gain of that channel.one of the two monoyacks is now
the insert-send, and one is the insert-return.find out what is what and now you can connect the two monoyacks to the apropriet sockets on ,lets say a fx-processor's in and output.the signal coming from the gain is nolonger interupted,and you will have the same signal as before,except for the fact that it has fx added,only on that one channel.but it also could be a compressor or a expander,finalizer or big bottom... whatever.i hope you understand my explanation.it is real simple once you understand.
driftkicker.

Message 14/14                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  12:51 PM   -   RE: Insert here?

John

Link?: Link

Stephen B--

Use your stereo returns for the main outs of romplers/samplers that have their own internal effects and eq (1080/Trinity/A3000/etc.)

By using the stereo channels to return the outboard fx processors, you'll be able to eq the returned effect, and also send the effect to another outboard fx or itself via another aux send.

Experiment with this senario:

1. Set up a delay that has an 1/8th or 1/4 beat delay time and no feedback..

2. Send a vocal hit/sound to the delay only once.

3. Use the aux send on the Delay's "stereo channel return" to send the delayed signal (vocal) back to the delay.

Experiment with the amount of signal you feed back to the delay, and listen to how the sound (vocal) will slowly change and eventually become totally unrecognisable. This happens because the delay unit has to resample the signal everytime it is looped back.

John

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum