0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Calling all vocal experts

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 13-Mar-02  @  10:03 PM   -   Calling all vocal experts

Brett B

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Just got my first decent vocal mic. I have never recorded them, but have some ideas about what I need to do. I am using the pre-s on my o1v because I can't afford a tube front end yet. So , I have been playing with the channels eq, comp, and master gate to get what I wanted. I am using a 10:1 with lots of gain and have gotten that Radio voice kind of sound, but my sister is coming in and she sounds in tone, like Sarah McGlachlan. i want open airy soft vocals without the sibiliant. I have a studio projects c1 w/pop filter and shock mount. I was thinking of using the Hall outside the studio room. which has a little nook in it that has a nice open reverb sound without the midrange slapback. I just walked around claping until I found a space that had no resonance and the clap sounded natural and clear. Any suggestions on finding the right space, and dynamics would help.

I also am going to be doing some deeper a couple of hip hop vocalist and rappers. So eq, and dynamics for the lower and more solid stuff will be needed. Thanks, Brett

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/13                 Date: 14-Mar-02  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

Brett B

Link?:  No link

oh, and my sister can sing, but has no studio work under her belt. So it is going to be hit and miss. I may use my studio room. It's really dry in here. I have all the modes and reflection well taken care of and I can buy the neccassary wiring to move my tower into the closet.

Thanks for the advice.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/13                 Date: 15-Mar-02  @  03:33 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

xoxos

Link?: Link

yep, i reckon this whole music/recording/living thing is still an art, not a science, as most of us practice it. my mics go through three pieces before they hit my pc, and my gear switches duties, so the settings on my pre, mixer, and comp are generally different. some days people are louder than they are on other days. take your best guess on the space, use what is available to you.. hopefully i'm getting better at dialing up what i want. my most valuable asset is my ability to develop and enact a methodology..

for what it's worth, web rumours and all, the oktava mk012 i bought for $99 is way crisper and brighter than my old realistic mic and just sounds different than my rode nt1. probably put a few hours through it and i'm still in the dark about an eq bias on it. recorded sounds sound like recorded sounds.. ?? done everythnig i wanted os far.

plus it's got a nice techno satiny finish, and all my amateur vocalists are all impressed with how it looks and try hard :p

Message 13/13                 Date: 15-Mar-02  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: Calling all vocal experts

Brett B

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

here is shot of the mic. The oktavia are said to be great condensers as well. I am looking for that Neuman sound though and the oktavias are said to be more closed sounding. Radio head and many other rock bands love them for thewarmth of the large condenser they make. It's only $199 at GC. But you don't get all the extras that came with this thing. Everyone will hear how my sessions went when I put the tracks up I guess. I am still going to get avalon 737 at some point. Not right now though.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum