0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Trance Drums

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 05-Jun-00  @  12:35 PM   -   Trance Drums

raver

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I hate to ask about this by calling them "trance drums" but I've heard this in a lot of trance/progressive house tracks. It's the snare drum. In a groove some how the snare sounds like it off from the 2 and 4 beat by a little and it makes the whole thing groove so well. I've tried bumping the snares off beat a little but when I do it, it just sounds like my seq. is pissed. Can anyone help. If you need an example just listen to a digweed or sasha comp. cd. Actually I think heaven scents drums are like this not sure. Any help would be great.

Steve

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/13                 Date: 16-Jun-00  @  07:45 AM   -   RE: Trance Drums

JAWA

CK? right, i've just tried what you're suggesting and i dunno but to me it sound fucking all over the place, it could be my sequencer setup (which is a bit ropey) now i've been making trance for a couple of years now and I think what you are talking about is actually an illusion and it has fooled you into thinking its down to quantisation, cos honestly, from experience I KNOW that not a lot of heavy quantisation goes on in trance music, there is a reason for this, you often have a lot of stuff going on at once and if there was "heavy quantisations" i.e. snares coming just before off beats it would make it very hard to keep everything sounding in time, to me it sounds messy, but again that could be my setup......

Most trance music was created on an MPC3000 and the quantisation used was THE UNMISTAKABLE akai slight shuffle, but it was VERY SLIGHT, now the illision that i'm trying to explain that i think you've mistaken for quantisation is actually down to clever use of rhythmic delay (make sure you have a high setting HF. damp), so sounds appear "two stage", kiks are definitely delay free, but with a slight reverb to add colour and help them sit in the mix, try a Lexicon style ambience setting...... the snares often have a slight delay on them giving that two stage effect and the hats have a longish decay, basslines always tend to have a rhythmic delay on them but it is so subtle that it's giving the tune drive without clouding it....... making a trance tune "roll" is often down to smart thinking production by making all the elements of the drums and percussion sit perfectly together, so nothing overtly stands out...... I've listened to Heaven Scent a million times and its DEFINITELY not quantisation that gives that effect, that's delay and smart use of compression for sure......

Now there are some trance tunes around that have a more dramatic shuffle to them try Logic's 16C for an idea but never anything more than that, unless you wanna head for that really groovy tech house effect.....

Laters,

JAWA

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/13                 Date: 16-Jun-00  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: Trance Drums

CK

os, you must have misread me, the kick is always on beats 1, 2, 3, 4. It is the snare that is sometimes not exactly on a 16th. What I am referring to is a way of using the swing function to get the snare just ahead of beats 2 and 4, which is more typical of house than trance.

JAWA I actually worked this out from looking at a tutorial in Future Music about 18 months ago. The tutorial was actually on house and indeed this is not a typical trance drum construction. To my ears most snares in Euro Trance are on beats 2 and 4 with no quantisation.

I'd agree that in normal circumstances you can't easily use more than a 16C swing in Logic at the sort of tempos these tracks are written at ie 136-140BPM.

I'm not clear what you mean by trance music. Psy Trance usually runs at a much faster tempo than the Euro stuff with no quantisation. I don't think that Sasha and Digweed play much trance, they tend to talk about deep trance, progressive house etc.

Message 13/13                 Date: 19-Jun-00  @  03:42 AM   -   RE: Trance Drums

gs

crap, actually i made a typo, but nevermind i know what you're talking about, i know that article. i believe what your talking about is a beat something like this one. if you quantized this beat with a very heavy 16th swing like the 16F in Logic, every second 16th note be late (a lot late). so the snare hits in this case would sound like they are almost on the kick beat. this is more house than trance tho i would think, agree with JAWA trance has very little swing, more like 16A.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum