0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: what the hell is this scale???

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 23-Sep-00  @  09:16 AM   -   what the hell is this scale???

0/d

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Been working on a track for the past few days and it seems to be coming along nicely,just one problem i wrote the bass line and some other synthy lead in the scale above(or below?)and i need to add some more stuff on top but i need more notes to work with.I looked up the scale in my little red book but no answers.Is this some sort of freak scale like a jazz thing or something,its very dark sounding and only sounds good when played up.any ideas,sorry about the explanation as my theory is shite.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/13                 Date: 28-Sep-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

johnny

Link?:  No link

yeah, that's part of the Hungarian scale (aka Gypsy scale) on D, distinguished by the augmented 2nd's. That's how it sounds to me, anyway. If you added the other notes it would look like this

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/13                 Date: 28-Sep-00  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

0/d

yeah,thats the one. after abit of mucking about with the transposing,i got a spacy synth sound on the c#,d,a#2 to sit with the bass line from the origional scale,its funny its all in the way the notes are ordered not in the way the keyboard is layed out,like it doesn,t sound like a scale thats played up and down but like a harmony of notes when played in the right order just come together.weird,what is this called,are their many of these type of things and what kind of instrament is this related to.(as i said earlier my written theory is utter shite so sorry about the explanation)

Message 13/13                 Date: 28-Sep-00  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

damballah

Let the ear steer works for the most part. In some of these altered and ethnic scales, though, if your ear's tuned to basic majors and minors, stuff can just sound wrong. But if you fool with 'em enough you start getting a feel of how they work. It's like you jam your way through the weirdness of it and come out the other side. anyway...

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum