0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: voicing string sections

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 27-Mar-02  @  04:10 AM   -   voicing string sections

Brett B

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

first what scale is this with the tonic being D. Is that dorian C?

second I did a string part over three octaves and liked what I came up with but I just dont really know what theory I am using and want to be better at visualizing it rather than using the ear alone. It's so much trial and error that way. I am refering to the mellow style of layered string sections heard in most sound track scores. I am using fifths and thirds. I create a low part first to harmonize with the bassline, then layer a high melody type string that leads down to the low section. Then I do the middle creating the counter melody. But i get lost along the way somtimes.

Anyone good at classical theory know some guidlines to follow to get a tighter piece that doesn't leave me hanging sometimes with a wrong cadence or feel. I know this is general, but I took theory and we worked on voicing vocals to the nearest note in the direction away from the bass, so I know there are probably rules and guide lines to help make it a little clearer cognatively and less experimental for me. Unfortunatly i never took classes past theory 1. I am thinking of returning.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/12                 Date: 07-Apr-02  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: voicing string sections

gb

Link?:  Link

Yeah, or buy a book. You wouldn't believe the kind of knowledge and experience you might draw from a good book...

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/12                 Date: 13-Apr-02  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: voicing string sections

Brett

Link?:  No link

the book only helps so much, but my profesor would sellect pieces of music and go over them. learn to play the selection and then read the chapter. this way as you read it, it all made sense. I have forgotten so much over time. now i am working and can't go to his class in the mornings.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum