0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: chord progressions

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 20-Jul-00  @  07:19 PM   -   chord progressions

tetsuo2

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I am looking for different ways to take a chord progression: say I II IV V, or I IV VI V , whatever, and make them sound better. I know about voice leading, trying different inversions and voicings to not get the notes to jump around as much, but are there other ways of doing this??

Also, is it generally a better idea to do chord progressions 1st and build a melody on top of that, or do the melody 1st and harmonize that??

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/12                 Date: 23-Jul-00  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

0/d

Link?:  Link

The way I learned how to do chord progressions was with strings,on top of simple melodies,doing what k mentioned "anchoring notes",i wrote tracks about 50 to 100 measures long just to get a certain progression to work(ie different chords and notes within the same scale to blend).The tracks don't have to be good(mine were all crap),but it gets you used to getting notes and chords to interact.Start small,as you get better at it,everything starts to come together.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/12                 Date: 23-Jul-00  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

tetsuo2

Link?:  No link

I really have no idea how to do what k just said.. can u explain with a bit more detail? My ignorance comes from no music schooling just raw reading books and books..

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum