0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 25-Jan-07  @  12:12 AM   -   Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

psylichon

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

This one is for cheap geeks (of which I'm sure there are at least a couple here)

So I busted my old smartphone recently and had to replace it with a better model (gosh darnit), and in the process learned that WM5 smartphones now support push email. If you've bought a Windows Mobile phone in the past few months, you probably have the capability already. Otherwise, it's a free download upgrade.

The coolest thing, besides turning a WM phone into a blackberry, is that it's all free (beyond the prerequisite data account. mine is $20/mo unlimited). I use a Gmail account (free), which has email forwarding to a mail2web Exchange account (also free), which remotely "activesyncs" to my phone and pushes the email instantly. In addition, it syncs my contacts and schedule to a remote site that I can check from any web node. schweet.

Very useful if I lose my cell and need a number, innit. Plus, if it's lost for good, I sync a new WM phone with mail2web and get everything back.

p.s.- Oh, you Treo geeks, there's some program called "chatter" that will do the same push thing, i think. It came up in my searches on the subject

p.p.s- Ya know, I just realized today, after 1.5 years of smartphone useage that you can set your ring profile to "automatic"... which will switch between "normal" and "meeting" profiles based on your schedule. this feature is golden for engineers...I put every booked session into my phone... The phone goes into silent mode automatically now during scheduled sessions...

don't even get me started, I loves me smartphone!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/11                 Date: 09-Sep-07  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

milan

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

any of you tried Fring yet?

i just switched to 3G with a good data package, installed Fring and was making skype calls all over the world!

skype out calls are the next to try... will let you know as soon as i try it

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum