0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mic help...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 16-Dec-01  @  05:29 PM   -   Mic help...

J

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I have $200 to spend on a mic. I'm doing studio work with female vocals and once in a while I'll want to use it to record congas or drum hits from a live set. Can anyone please steer me in the right direction for a good condenser mic in that price range. If I can't get a mic that'll record both- I'd rather have one that gets the vocals good. Thank you

James

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/11                 Date: 13-Feb-02  @  07:31 PM   -   RE: Mic help...

nomad

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

the QC just means that the mic specs may vary a lot from mic to mic, not necessarily that they fall apart quickly. so, you may find that one mic sounds very good, and the other one next to it may not sound nearly as good. most people have never really heard a good mic (me included unfortunately) so they wouldn't notice. and of course different eq responses might be better for different things, who knows. read rec.audio.pro, some people have spent the time sifting through GC mics to get good ones, and they thought they did.

c1000s is generally regarded as really peaky and brittle  
used c3000s on choir, and most of the time wasn't really happy with them.
haven't tried either of the other two.

the audio-technica pro37r is now $99 at some places, not a bad small diaphragm.. i have used them on vocals, acoustic guitars, and even kick drum, and it worked well. it's been a few years, i've been meaning to pick a pair up to see if they are still as good as i remember (and they've got to be better than the sm58s we are using at church). make sure you run it at a full +48v.

also i've heard some good things about some of the alesis mics, they are being blown out now, you can get a groove tubes/alesis AM51 for $150 some places.

other 'studio classics' include the shure sm81 (sometimes $150 used, small diaphragm condenser) and maybe the sennheiser md421 (also sometimes $150 used, dynamic)....

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum