0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: multiband compression woes

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 31-May-01  @  06:24 PM   -   multiband compression woes

ghost b

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

hey all.....

I'm trying to use Steinbergs ME compressor (5 bands) to master a song, and I'm having some trouble....

it just seems to make a real mess of the sound unless I use it very, very slightly... maybe that's all this song needs, but I can't help but think there's something more I can get out of it.... but, I've played with it for hours and I'm not getting anywhere. right now, the overall effect on the mix is minimal.

even on low settings, the sound becomes "undefined", especially the snare drum... the snare loses all the crack and snap.. this particular snare sound has some high-freq elements to it, so I think that might be messing me up.... I think part of my problem is that I'm having a hard time finding out where to place the boundaries of the 5 compressor bands....

on heavy compression/boost settings, everything turns to mush, even though a particular band on SOLO seems might sound real snappy...

I was wondering if anyone had general advice on how to figure out what the bands should be... since this is a d&b song, I was trying to compress sub, kick, and snare on separate bands.. since the snare has some hi-freq stuff, I had to make the middle band very wide to avoid "blurring" it.... but then I lose the ability to selectively compress the other instruments in that band...

I use Waves L1 after the compression, if that matters...

any help is appreciated... thanks!!!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/11                 Date: 04-Jun-01  @  05:09 AM   -   RE: multiband compression woes

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok he's hard limiting his final output I take it?... so - if youve got an issue with mebbe a particular bas tone being louder and busting your balls when you push up the bass band, then you could use a saidechain comp to duck it out rather than compressing the whole band down... so thats one way to use the multiband correctively... which maye yeild better results too than just thumping down the freq band total.... there's more ways to kill a pig that stuffing it's arse with strawberries... also your bootom end can be filtered right out to remove rumble and poor definition down there listen up to the bass... raise up the filter until you hear something happen, then back it off a bit..

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum