0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 25-Jan-07  @  12:12 AM   -   Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

psylichon

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

This one is for cheap geeks (of which I'm sure there are at least a couple here)

So I busted my old smartphone recently and had to replace it with a better model (gosh darnit), and in the process learned that WM5 smartphones now support push email. If you've bought a Windows Mobile phone in the past few months, you probably have the capability already. Otherwise, it's a free download upgrade.

The coolest thing, besides turning a WM phone into a blackberry, is that it's all free (beyond the prerequisite data account. mine is $20/mo unlimited). I use a Gmail account (free), which has email forwarding to a mail2web Exchange account (also free), which remotely "activesyncs" to my phone and pushes the email instantly. In addition, it syncs my contacts and schedule to a remote site that I can check from any web node. schweet.

Very useful if I lose my cell and need a number, innit. Plus, if it's lost for good, I sync a new WM phone with mail2web and get everything back.

p.s.- Oh, you Treo geeks, there's some program called "chatter" that will do the same push thing, i think. It came up in my searches on the subject

p.p.s- Ya know, I just realized today, after 1.5 years of smartphone useage that you can set your ring profile to "automatic"... which will switch between "normal" and "meeting" profiles based on your schedule. this feature is golden for engineers...I put every booked session into my phone... The phone goes into silent mode automatically now during scheduled sessions...

don't even get me started, I loves me smartphone!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 25-Jan-07  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

k

Link?:  Link

w-hat?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/11                 Date: 27-Jan-07  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

psylichon

translation: you get your email instantly on your phone... like a text. So you get to ignore people sooner.

Message 4/11                 Date: 27-Jan-07  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

Zazza

Link?:  No link

That's cool.. cheers for heads up Psylichon ;)

Message 5/11                 Date: 28-Jan-07  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

nme

psylichon wrote:

This one is for cheap geeks (of which Im sure there are at least a couple here)

So I busted my old smartphone recently and had to replace it with a better model (gosh darnit), and in the process learned that WM5 smartphones now support push email. If youve bought a Windows Mobile phone in the past few months, you probably have the capability already. Otherwise, its a free download upgrade.

The coolest thing, besides turning a WM phone into a blackberry, is that its all free (beyond the prerequisite data account. mine is $20/mo unlimited). I use a Gmail account (free), which has email forwarding to a mail2web Exchange account (also free), which remotely activesyncs to my phone and pushes the email instantly. In addition, it syncs my contacts and schedule to a remote site that I can check from any web node. schweet.

Very useful if I lose my cell and need a number, innit. Plus, if its lost for good, I sync a new WM phone with mail2web and get everything back.

p.s.- Oh, you Treo geeks, theres some program called chatter that will do the same push thing, i think. It came up in my searches on the subject

p.p.s- Ya know, I just realized today, after 1.5 years of smartphone useage that you can set your ring profile to automatic... which will switch between normal and meeting profiles based on your schedule. this feature is golden for engineers...I put every booked session into my phone... The phone goes into silent mode automatically now during scheduled sessions...

dont even get me started, I loves me smartphone!

....Ok, so here go's a quick headsup from a UK perspective!

If getting your email on the move is that critical to you, (I mean you wouldnt want to miss that critical email from K confirming that you have won a copy of 'Cubase Power' would ya? Worth considering Im sure you'll agree) then here are some points you should consider.

1 If your Smartphone/handset/device does have WM5 (Windows Mobile) capability you should first check out whether it is an AKU02 device. If it is then it is capable of 'push email' (this just means that email is sent directly to your handset/smartphone/device as opposed to 'pull email' which means that you have to keep dialling into the server to check if you have any email & then download it to read, these are non AKU02 devices, ie, this is slow & boring).

2 Whether its a push or pull device you use your gonna need either a GPRS or HDSPA tariff subscription added to your monthly package at an additional cost. (lots of packages available depending on your needs). Whilst $20 pm seems quite reasonable in the USA, its highly unlikely that your going to get away with such a small increase in rip off Britain. Too technical? GPRS or HDSPA are simply the tracks needed for data to run on & so be delivered over the GSM voice network which those of you with mobile phones use every time you make a call.

3G is beginning to make its mark, but truthfully its not quite there just yet! Oh yeah & 3G comes at a premium too. How else do you think the networks are going to recoup the huge investments they made buying the 3G licenses from the Government who stitched them up royally!!! (PMSL) Incidentally the Government are to blame for the current state of the IT & Telecoms sector as a result of this. My Company won the second highest bid for a 3G licence at a mere £6.5bn (Mugs).

3 WM5 - In esscence this application simply gives you the entire & exact functionality to have the Windows Mobile platform (ie, what you see & use every day on your PC, unless your using a MAC of course) delivered to your chosen handset/smartphone/device. Think of it as a mini PC. So you will be able to use & edit every feature eg, word, xl, powerpoint,web browsing, open email attachments etc,etc...
However, if you need all of this extra rich functionality be prepared to pay, all of this funtionality is very data hungry, lots of mb's to download & this is where you will be hit hard by the networks, once you have reached your user limit on your chosen data tariff how does £8.50 per mb grab ya!!!! And if you travel internationally, well how does a second mortgage sound? I have oil & gas companies who are currently holding global trials for there exec's & who are baulking at the huge costs involved & that after they've just announced record profits.
Lastly, there are still alot of bugs in the WM5 application.

4 Blackberry - This is a killer application! The Ronseal effect, it does what it says on the tin. If you need your email on the move & none of the other bollox above then BB's your man. Quite simply it strips out all other funtionality with the exception of opening attachments & web browsing & delivers your email instantly (push) to your handset/smartphone/device in a rich & superior text format.
Same rules apply as with WM5 you will need either a GPRS or HDSPA tariff subscription added to your monthly package at an additional cost however price plans are much more reasonable with as much as you can eat tarrifs available (so theres no 'bill shock' at the end of the month). International travel is a little more expensive but much more reasonable.

5 Palm Treo - Hmmm............yeah, I was given one to trial which I trialled for 2 days, its now gathering dust on the shelf next to my pc, keep an eye out on ebay for it! Lovely looking device, colour screen, great graphics however the battery life is, well shit, keeps running out after being charged overnight, wont see the day out! Ive gone back to my Blackberry which has a 5 day life without being charged daily & I hammer the thing into the ground night & day!

In summary:

WM5 - Wait 12 - 18 months until the bugs are ironed out & the operating cost decrease substantially. WM5 will be the daddy of mobile applications......just not yet!
If your hell bent on getting WM5, then sell your house & belongings & move to the States, It will be the cheaper option for now anyway.

Blackberry - If you need critical email buy a BB device or simply have the BB service added to your existing handset assuming its compatible (most modern devices will be).

Hope I didnt bore too many of you but the USA market is very different to our own & certainly much more cost effective!!!!

GSM Voice Contracts
And finally, think carefully if your about to upgrade your existing voice (not data) agreement. My advice is not too agree any new deal over 12 months. The cost of voice is plummeting & before very long it will cost you zero to make a call, however you will be still spending the same if not more every month with the networks for your WM5, Blackberry, 3G TV, News, Sport updates etc..(all data applications btw). Lots of dealers are heavily incentivising 2 & 3 year Voice deals to ensure there future revenue. What seems like a cracking deal today may leave you feeling pretty pissed off when all your mates are making free calls, probably 24/7 & you have however long, left to run on your contract?

Message 6/11                 Date: 06-Feb-07  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

psylichon

haha just found a freeware NES emulator for smartphone... Zelda, Mario, Contra, etc.... all extremely playable. Too damn cool...

Message 7/11                 Date: 13-Feb-07  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

cheddar

gotta go with blackberry - fck huge ($55/m). Was in China and the laptop blew up - email no problem, really love this tech.

GPS is also massive - even bigger IMO - land in a new city knowing the office is 30 minutes from the airport - 30 minutes later you are there, got more time take the side roads and see the place.

These have been the 2 eye openers for me in techville

Message 8/11                 Date: 14-Feb-07  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

psylichon

Yeah Google Maps is pretty mind blowing once it saves your ass once or twice or a dozen or so times. Now that it's a native app for my phone (not java), the satellite overlay works as well as traffic reports and gps support. bluetooth gps units aren't that expensive either.

Message 9/11                 Date: 21-Feb-07  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

I should be getting my Samsung Blackjack tomorrow...............can't wait!

Message 10/11                 Date: 24-Feb-07  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: Windows Mobile 5 and Gmail push

psylichon

Oh man, you gotta check out Microsoft Voice Command. Works amazingly well on my 2125... the accuracy is uncanny. I use a BT headset and switchup Media Player playlists on the fly while driving. It's a thing of beauty.

Also the amount of published registry hacks for these things is scary. It's more customizeable than my desktop computer!

And Castlevania and Metroid have been very nice for long mastering rollouts at the studio

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum