0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: awesome site!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 23-Nov-06  @  11:22 PM   -   awesome site!!

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

http://www.cpepweb.org/

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 26-Nov-06  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: awesome site!!

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

Good nudge.

There's always something new to remember when you read such sites/material

I used to subscribe to New Scientist and was frequently blown away by their articles - many of them years ahead of the main press (I still read it when I encounter it).

There's real mystery to be found in such places.

Message 3/13                 Date: 27-Nov-06  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: awesome site!!

k

Yeah it's cool huh... I wanna order a wall chart or 2, i'm trying to grasp at least a sort of intuitive idea of quantum physics cos i was shite at physics at school. i can see it's gonna be a long process of gradual absorbtion, some of it make sense straight away... other stuff is really hard like bosons & fermions and all this integer-spin stuff ...thats a headfuck, but the problem is the way stuff you read assumes you know stuff, like i can get angular momentum, easy, like th earth spins on an axis, but when they say 1/2 integer spin ?... it means what?... i can grasp 1/2-integer, but when they say something has 1/2 integer spin what do they mean?..

wiki says: "spin angular momentum cannot be associated with rotation but instead refers only to the presence of angular momentum."

er... perhaps they mean it more like a wave or something a cyclical thing in terms of a charge?.

i think one has to totaly undertand wavefunctions to piece it all together

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/13                 Date: 27-Nov-06  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: awesome site!!

k

aha!

Message 5/13                 Date: 27-Nov-06  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: awesome site!!

GrooveMonkey

Read a book called hyperspace by Michio kaku

its all explained in laymans terms.. but even then its hard going

G

Message 6/13                 Date: 28-Nov-06  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: awesome site!!

Musineer Productions

A spinning rotating coin - that's the analogy I know.

But then there's umpteen dimensions!?!? And spins of 'colour'...

There's a book by a bloke called Harry Silver with the grandiose title "The Ascent of Science" that's great for those of us who didn't get along with physics at school. Gives you a starting point for loads and loads of weird and wonderful stuff. It's a big fat tome and gives an idea of how radical the renaissance must have been in its day, as well as blowing the fog off the particle/wave issue, that bloke's unfortunate cat, relativity, and quantum doings. The best bog book I've ever had!

And then there's chewy observations like the Titius Bode formula for working out the distances of the planets from the sun, which goes...er,...

Starting from Mercury and working out, give the planets the number sequence 0, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc
(so Earth is 2, Mars 4, etc).

Then use the formula ((N x 3) + 4) / 10 = AU to give the distance of the planet from the sun in Astronomical Units (AU). 1 AU is the distance of the Earth from the sun (149,600,000km there and 92,960,000 miles back)

This gives amazingly accurate distances for all the planets (including Ceres, in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, which would take number 8). All the planets that is but Neptune - why is Neptune so odd? Or is an 'exception to the rule' normal? And this was worked out in the 1700s!!!

Cosmic

Message 7/13                 Date: 28-Nov-06  @  05:00 AM   -   RE: awesome site!!

nutoniom

yeah, that Kepler dude was quite some freakish genius.

K, would that interger thing have anything to do with the precession of equinoxes, like some other rotation, off axis?

Message 8/13                 Date: 28-Nov-06  @  11:22 AM     Edit: 28-Nov-06  |  11:23 AM   -   RE: awesome site!!

Zazza

Link?:  No link

Check this out for some head fucking quantum stuff

The Bomb Test

The bomb-testing problem is illustrated by use of the following analogy: Consider a collection of bombs from some dubious source, so that it is not certain which, and indeed how many, of the bombs are duds. Say we need to know which are usable bombs. Clearly we can accumulate dud bombs by throwing the bombs, one by one, at a wall, and collecting the ones that do not explode. Unfortunately this process does not work in reverse; the only way of finding out which bombs are usable destroys them. Just to make the problem a little harder we will specify that the trigger of each bomb is sensitive to a single photon. Specifically, the bombs either absorb the photon and explode, or transmit the photon and are duds. It is, in principle, impossible to identify usable bombs by any nondestructive classical process. However, through a mode of observation known as counterfactual measurement which relies on quantum mechanics, we can solve this problem.

Message 9/13                 Date: 28-Nov-06  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: awesome site!!

sitar

The Dancing Wu Li Masters and The Tao of Physics were very good and understandable from what I recall. I think the better of the 2 for me was The Dancing Wu Li Masters but it's been a while. Fascinating stuff without a doubt.

Message 10/13                 Date: 04-Dec-06  @  06:54 AM   -   RE: awesome site!!

psylichon

I recently learned via the Discovery Science channel how geckos walk on walls and ceilings.

Wanna take a guess?

It's not sticky pads or glue or barbs or suction cups or anything like that, yet you can lift a kilogram or more with a gekko before you will harm it, making it one of the strongest forces of its type in the animal kingdom.

Wanna guess how it does it?

Quantum physics!

Each foot has a pad with over 20 million nanohairs, each of which splits into frayed ends. These tiny hair tips are so small that they entagle themselves with the quantum foam of whatever they touch, no matter how smooth the surface. The individual force of each hair is tiny, but the accumulative effect is so great that they need to literally peel their feet off of whatever they walk on. They have extremely flexible joints that peel back from that toe when they walk. Crazy shit!

These sorts of things tend to discredit Darwinian evolution as a theory, in my opinion. I mean how does an animal of such "limited intelligence" evolve to utilize such an esoteric and hidden facet of nature? It seems that such unreal traits exist all over the animal kingdom, and I believe they are hints to the secrets of the universe, not evolutionary advantages.

Besides, evolution requires the existence of time, which is just another illusion worth investigating. In another thread.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum