0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: just changed IP

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 05-May-06  @  09:56 AM   -   just changed IP

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

yeah for the brits... i switched at Zazza's recomendation from BTinternet (been with them since first adsl was started in London so hence the choice), to NILDRAM

well anyways, the line speed is way higher... i'm getting 7800 (max 8mb) and double the typical BT upstream at 448

i got the BROADBAND2 package for 25.99 with a 50 gig cap (this cap is only for 'peak hours' - 8am and Midnight - usage, and it's expandable anyways for very little extra. For Offpeak use there's no cap) and they do a lighter version called: Broadband2go which is only 15.99 for 2.5gig cap... so i spose you cvould do your movie d/loading if so inclined during the night after midnight until 8 am if you are a really heavy user, but 50gb is tons - BT is capped for it's most expensive 27.99 broadband product at 32gb even tho they dont really mention it in advertising)

anyways, Nildram also do this 'Hometalk' thing which you can add on for FREE!... you get 500 minutes anytime of free local & national calls. You can can bump that to 3000 minutes for another fiver a month - so you get the broadband, well priced, fast, and for free you can bolt on 500 minutes of calls. Once your 500 minutes is exceeded within any month (if it is) only then do calls start to be added to your BT bill... otherwise you just pay the line-rental standing charge on your BT bill for the line

their rates for internation is ok too - france, germany, australia & usa all 4 pence a minutes average at all times (varies off/on peak by about .5 pence) which is almost the same as normal BT daytime local rates...

anyways, pretty good!... I'm paying less now than with BT broadband for 4 times the speed d/stream & 2 x upsstream, plus i get 500 minutes fo free calls! - they have itemised call listing online so you can keep a check on your monthly free minutes if "going over" is important for budgetting

check em out anyways you Brit's. They migrated me flawlessly from BT

http://www.nildram.net/

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 05-May-06  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: just changed IP

steve

Link?: Link

I'm stuck on 512kbps.

you complete bastard.

Message 3/12                 Date: 05-May-06  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: just changed IP

Musineer Productions

I second Steve's comment.

BT won't 'authenticate' the line, so they have a monopoly over my house. 512 it is. They're bastards too! Wouldn't provide broadband at all until the missus got stroppy and wrote to our MP (who relayed it to the BT rep in parliament) and relentlessly hassled the Director of BT broadband who's personal phone number had been posted somewhere by a disgruntled customer.

Eventually they agreed to have us as test house 1001 in a test of 1000 houses to see if the gain loss on the line would be a problem. Connection has been solid and reliable ever since (apart from a lightening strike it took them five weeks to fix).

What really rattled my goat was that I live in the sticks, with only one neighbour, and their house is several metres further from the telegraph pole than mine, yet they could have broadband no problem! 'Routing' was the reason BT gave. 'Why is the routing more inefficient than my neighbour's and how much of a reduction in my bill will you offer because my service is inferior?' I asked. BT went silent.

Then that ad with the light bulbs. Buy one that lasts much longer than the old type for the same price, and the bloke chooses the old one, and we all think he's retarded. How insulting is that? Bastards.

7800? Bastard.

Message 4/12                 Date: 06-May-06  @  07:31 PM   -   RE: just changed IP

k

you cant be migrated then?... dont understand that

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/12                 Date: 07-May-06  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: just changed IP

Musineer Productions

No, nor do we.

In fact this topic has reminded how cheesed off I am about this, especially as I saw an add this morning from BT for Broadband @8Meg for £14.99!!!! I'm paying £26.99 + VAT a month for 512!!!!!! (though I do get four users and unlimited usage)

But I can't change! There must be some 'competition' law, or privatisation regulation, or something. Trading Standards maybe - misleading advertising?

How many other DT members are stuck with 512? Are there enough of us to be nuisance enough to cause BT to deal with us?

Message 6/12                 Date: 07-May-06  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: just changed IP

k

that advert for 8meg prolly is restricted to a few gig a month

cant u go to the ombudsman?

Message 7/12                 Date: 08-May-06  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: just changed IP

steve

are you with BT then musineer? I'm paying 20 squid a month for unlimited 512 with Demon.

I'm too far away from the exchange apparently to get any higher. My mate who lives two minutes walk away has just had 4meg installed

Message 8/12                 Date: 08-May-06  @  12:12 PM   -   RE: just changed IP

Moujik

I'm with Virgin, purely because I didn't want to have a 12 month contract. When I signed up, the only option I could get was 512... however I seem to be getting 1meg anyway. Weird. Only downsides are a really low download limit (3Gb a month I think) & they seem to have some kind of download throttling (get really slow d/ls on big files >100Mb - I think some ISPs are doing this as a response to torrents??).

There must be some 'competition' law, or privatisation regulation, or something. Trading Standards maybe - misleading advertising?

I think something came in recently where BT have to allow other ISPs access to the exchanges to install their own equipment? Hence TalkTalk's free broadband...

Message 9/12                 Date: 08-May-06  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: just changed IP

beds

the whole thing's a joke, on one hand you have systems being set up to deliver video and tv over the web, then you have dumb isp's throttling bandwidth and puttin gshit caps on downloading. 3gb a month? that's less than an hour of radio a day. what's the point of 8mb connection if you're only checking your email?

Message 10/12                 Date: 08-May-06  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: just changed IP

cheddar

whats really funny is that you pay more for internet (where the content is not paid for by the provider) than you do for cable/satelite TV (where....

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum