0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: the final stage

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/60                 Date: 11-Oct-04  @  10:21 AM   -   the final stage

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm having difficulty understanding something. If I am choosing to have my drum sample VST samples to be 32 bit on load and am bouncing down my soft synths to WAV's at 24 bit, then do I choose to record (on my CDR 2 track) at 16 bit or 24 bit and can people I send a 24 bit CDR to, play it on a standard system. Sorry if this is a crap, basic question.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: the final stage

damballah

Link?: Link

Standard CDs are 44.1k 16 bit stereo.

Message 3/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  05:37 AM   -   RE: the final stage

psylichon

yes, if it is to be a "red book" audio cd that can be played on a standalone player (i.e. in your car) then it must be converted to 16/44.1 first. If you want to deliver 24-bit files or any higher sampling rate, you must burn a data CD that can only be read on a computer.

Message 4/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: the final stage

Dominic

Thank you. So do mastering houses prefer 16 bit CDR or 24 bit CDR or DAT to master from. I hear that CDR's accent the higher freqencies too much.

Message 5/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  04:08 PM   -   RE: the final stage

milan

you gotta be kidding! CDR is the sound of now man ;)

Message 6/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: the final stage

Dominic

So I take it that a 16bit CDR is OK to send off for mastering then?

Message 7/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  04:43 PM     Edit: 12-Oct-04  |  04:45 PM   -   RE: the final stage

milan

yes, although in a pro studio they would still use a DAT or at least a good standalone cd-burner. but for the rest of us it should be ok i believe...

[edit]

but... if your mixes are in 24bit, then you could theoreticaly send them a wav file in 24bit and leave the conversion to them, since they would (theoreticaly) have better tools to deal with it.

Message 8/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: the final stage

Dominic

Thanks. Any idea what's a quality CD burner. I heard that hhb are the best because they are pioneer and use quality components.

Message 9/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: the final stage

milan

better wait for psy to answer that i think... my studio had a DAT  

Message 10/60                 Date: 12-Oct-04  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: the final stage

k

Link?:  Link

i use a pioneer 106 - very 'industry favourite' burns cd and dvd (will of course also burn large ISO UDF DVD-ROM for 4.5 ish gigabytes of backup (VERY useful for archiving whole song folders complete with audio)

you can get the 'oem' version quit affordably without a box at pc fairs

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 60 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum