0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Which mixing desk to buy?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  12:32 AM   -   Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm looking into buying a mixing desk for a small home setup. Although it's only really for bedroom use at the moment, it may be used for more in the future (maybe some live work or some better quality recording). I still need quite a few inputs (drummer) and don't really want a crappy one that I'll have to change in the future. Obviously it needs to have XLR inputs and 48v, which I'm assuming most do. I would also like some kind of EQ or effects built in. My budget is around £250 and I really like the look of the Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro. Has anybody used one of these before, and if so then could you please give me some good and bad points about it. Is it worth the money and will it be suitable for me? Another thing that I've noticed with some small mixers is that they can generate some hiss, is this desk likely to do this? Does it have decent pre-amps? Thanks a lot

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  01:15 AM     Edit: 17-Aug-04  |  01:19 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

SignalRunners - BLU

Link?: Link

Yes it is likely- berry gear is absolute garbage

whats your aim? if for fun, buy loadsa input cheap circuitry gear defo-

if not, simply just buy mackie

1202 vlz pro range and up to what u can afford (12/14/16 etc) - gauranteed hiss free, solid eq , top quality recording

what your recoding into is a whole different matter .........

blu

Message 3/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Dominic

yer exactly. If you just want a desk just to monitor back then you could go for a crap one like beringer and save up for a decent focusrite trackor. But it sounds like you're gonna need at least 7 inputs (8 if you wanna use a sm57 on the bottom of the snare) so probably as already said you're going to need a mackie desk which is cool cos you can use the 80hz low cut to get rid of the low rumble made by the mic stands vibrating.

Message 4/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

I went to Mackies websites but none of the prices are listed. I would rather go for a MAckie but I really dont want to spend more than about £300. Yes, I definately need a desk with 8 inputs or maybe even more. The ones that I thought were suitable were 1642-VLZ Pro although it doesnt seem to have any built in effects it has 10 inputs which I would really appreciate, and the CFX-12 which only has 8 inputs but does have effects. For now I will only be recording stupid home stuff but within the next 6 months or so when I've got some decent mics etc. I will be using it for proper recording so it needs to be decent. The Berry seems like the right one for the job but if the pre-amps aren't too good like you said then I def am not going to consider it (maybe this is why it's such a reasonable price). Does anyone know the price of these two please? By the way my recording medium at present is my PC which has a Audigy 2ZS soundcard and will be going into either Cubase or Logic, possibly Pro tools in the near future. The main thing is, am I really going to notice THAT much difference between a Mackie desk and a Behringer being somewhat of a beginner to all this??? I mean for now it's only going onto my PC. Oh god I am so confused!!!

Message 5/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

SignalRunners - Andrew

I had a behringer eurorack thing for about 6-7 months- kept in better condition than it would have been in the fucking box- bought it brand new etc- the shit broke for no reason, just wasnt putting sound through like 3 minutes after it was turned on. went to behringer and they wouldnt give me advice, they just said to ship it to them and i'd receive repair charges and full shipping charges for their broken mixer. i think its kind of a crock of shit and i'm never buying behringer again---not to mention the thing was poorly built and had major noise problems.

when you're buying mackie on the other hand, you know you're buying quality and you know you're not gambling.

Message 6/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  08:43 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

psylichon

While it's true that a mackie is a bit of an investment, it's one of the only "budget" mixers that you can actually say that about. I had mine almost 15 years before it started to buzz a bit. I bet a replaced cap or transistor would have fixed it cheap too. Luckily I got a line on another 1202 to replace mine. I'll let you know in 15 years how it's holdin' up

Message 7/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

Link?:  Link

well..... i think you want to be careful about what you get in terms of where you want to go with this

IF you want eventualy to have 8 or whatever drum mic's on a kit, and think you may eventualy get an 8 IN computer audio device so you can track/record up to 8 inputs on seperate tracks, then i'd SERIOUSLY advise looking at an older but quality larger mixer if you have room

they can be had very cheap, they can be slightly hissier, but if you arent running all channels with eq added they arent really bad

anyways IF you DO plan to add an 8-IN device, and if you have other outboard synths etc which you want to bring In to the s/w ONBOARD mix of audio and VST instruments, then i'd think about what i said

the thing is, if you get a mixer with mebbe 16 channels or whatever and 8 BUSSES then combined with an 8-In card/rack whatever device on the PC you can bring mixer channels together and send them on the mixer to ANY of the possible 8 PC IN's

so .... do you think this might be a possibility Lloyd? - if yes mebbe look at an older s/h mixer like a soundcraft or a TAC or whatever from a dealer

if you get a VLZ it'll have only a secondary bus menaing easy routing will be limited to sending out a stereo L/R feed to the soundcard IN only.... if you ONLY plan to ever record stereo or mono tracks one at a time tho, then fine go for that

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

damballah

true. a 4 buss with individual channel sends can work too and there's a way of using the inserts as sends.

Message 9/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Too much meat... I never thought of that.

Message 10/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Pongoid

Kilo's got it right. But something nice that's used. Like I keep saying over and fucking over: DO NOT BUY BEHRINGER. THE SHIT BREAKS FAST AND YOU WILL BE FUCKED. They are a waste of money. They make cheap shit because they want your money and just poorly copy good stuff using cheap chinese labor, then it breaks and you're fucked in the ass till you can taste your own shit and the end of Uli's dick in the back of your throat. Then Uli just laughs all the way to the bank. Save the cash, but a nice warn old used desk, and get really good sound.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum