0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/39                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  04:17 PM   -   Why are there no single-hit CDs?

craig

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

How come all I can ever find when I go hunting for sample CDs is acid loops?!? I can never find any decent single-hit drum CDs. All I want are a bunch of different kits, in Akai format, ready to go. That's it.

So, does anybody have any suggestions for real drums? I need rock kits, I'm totally covered on electronic drums. No loops, but I guess they'd be OK if they came on the CDs with the regular kits   I prefer Akai format, but also Emu will work, or I could deal with .wav and build my own program I guess, but I'd prefer Akai or Emu.

I'm also looking for a CD of pads and orchestral instruments. The key with the orchestral instruments is that I don't want to spend a ton of money on a big orchestra set, but I also don't want the samples to sound like doo doo either.

Any suggestions?!?

-Craig

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/39                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

k

Link?:  Link

yup - FXPansion BFD & EDIROL Orchestral - all you need - albeit they might seem pricey, but the amount you'd need to spend on sample CD's to cover what those two get you would EASILY outstrip the cost of those two softs and probably wouldnt sound so good (certainly, BFD is SO realistic & Orchestral sound superb, easily as good as a decent sample-set), and CERTAINLY it would take AGES pissing about to load & setup samples compared to using those two softs.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/39                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  07:32 PM     Edit: 12-Jan-04  |  07:36 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

craig

Yeah, I know... But I'm going to need them live as well... BFD would be out unless I did a lot of work re-sampling hits into Akai format and making programs. Maybe I could render the orchestral sounds down to loops and sample them. It'd depend on what else was going on in the track and what other parts I could play..

I'll look into it.

-Craig

Message 4/39                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

queasy00

hey...

why not put bfd on a laptop? i know you're a hardware guy but it doesn't seem to need a lot of power and if the laptop juust runs bfd hooked up to your sequencer and drum triggers, i'm sure it'd be fine.. you won't even need to look at the screen that much since it looks like you can just assign each hit to a midi note anyway. also, you could always sequence the drums first and then make programs out of them.

looks like 9 gigs of samples too! (9 gigs of space required)

-j
ps: man, bfd looks sweet!

Message 5/39                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  06:17 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

craig

'cause I have an Akai S6000 studio already, and I don't want to spend $1k on a laptop   I know and love the Akai inside and out, and I don't want to drop it. I also don't want to depend on computers live.

I ordered "Drumkit from Hell" yesterday, so we'll see how that goes.

-Craig

Message 6/39                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

queasy00

ic... i figured you could buy a cheap laptop though.. but you're right.. it'd still be expensive.

tell me how those drum samples are cause i'm also on the lockout for real/acoustic drums.

-j

Message 7/39                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

psylichon

drumkit from hell is a blast. I woulda recommended it, but I thought it was giga and other soft formats only. Not a whole lot of variety, except in the snare department, but the sounds is huge an very realistic. A bit of a ambient noise issue if you pile up the hits with a lot of compression, but otherwise a fine pick.

I used it on my latest "philly ambient 2" track if you want a DT demo  

Message 8/39                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

craig

It'll be here tomorrow, actually. So I can wait. What I really needed was a great sounding real rock kit with a minimum amount of bullshit that I can get a lot of mileage out of, so it seems like it'll fit the bill. The demos sounded very natural. It does come in Akai format, BTW.

-Craig

Message 9/39                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

milan

umm... what happened to bob clearmountain drums? i think that was a single hit/kit cd with good sounds.. dunno if its still available(?)

Message 10/39                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  09:27 PM   -   RE: Why are there no single-hit CDs?

psylichon

um... I've heard them. A little timid by today's standards

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum