0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  09:57 AM   -   Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Worried Witch

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So, the figures are just in. According to Prime Distibution, Dance music vinyl sales are down 38% during april 02 to april 03. That's over a third. I'm a bit worried.

I knew we would get to a stage when programs like Reason would come out. The overall quality of dance music has gone up. Everybody is capable of making semi-decent tracks, even with a very limited musical knowledge. Everyone can make a drum track and master it well enough for a CDR burn routine. Then just mail it to your favourite DJ, right?

WRONG!!! Its killing us. The amount of tracks coming out that is just layers of drums/loops with a "siney" style bass line is scary. Have we reached the end of the 15 year cycle?

I mean if you look back at the history of music, right from the 1920's, there was a new style coming out every 10 years. You can chart it all. For example, lets say that Punk was in 79, dance was in 89, blah blah blah (you get the idea). Well what new style has come out in 1999/2000/2001/2002. Nothing has cos we've reached the end of the musical time line. Its over boys. It was fun but its over. Looks like we're all making Tech Songs now.

I don't want to sound bitter or twisted but really, this is it. Still dance music and the whole 1987 - 2003 thing is something to tell our kids and something to look back on with our mates.

All The Best,

A Raver/Music Lover/Dreamer

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  10:29 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Steve Roughley

"Nothing has cos we've reached the end of the musical time line. Its over boys. It was fun but its over. Looks like we're all making Tech Songs now."

Ever so slightly pesimistic. It's really not all that bad. I am constantly finding new sounds that continue to exite my musical palette. Maybe you need to start seeking out other styles of electronic music.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 3/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  10:29 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

cheddr

1999 DIY music

Like the guy who owns the record shop looking at down books, what to do? Blame DT?

the problem is getting paid for it. There was a post about Asia forgeting sales revenue and the artist living from PA's. This could be a model - except in the UK /US where spoons can land you in jail

I think the internet and making a site where you can create value from popularity is an answer. I hope so, cos i try to save he butt of my favourite record shop guy this way

Message 4/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Worried Witch

Hmmmm. So the future of dance music is the internet?!?

What, we all make music on our computers, post the track up on our site, and charge DJ's £1 to download it onto their laptops which they use to play out in clubs?

Yea saw Chris Cowie do that and it was shit. Heard Ritchie Hawtin do it and it was poo. The sound of MP3's is complete rubbish. Vinyl sounds quite a bit better.

Maybe we should resign ourselves to the fact that probably 95% of us will only ever do music as a hobby. I'm taliking about making a decent living NOT £12,000 a year. I mean I was chatting to a pair of producers who are called Rythmn Plate at the weekend. They have been releasing decent house tracks since 1998. Hell, even a couple of the choons from last year made 2 DJ 2002 end of year charts in DJ magazine. They are still in their local government jobs of £8,000 a year!!! They were saying that they just ain't gettin paid that much per release to be able to do it full time. Plus their tracks are really good. All I'm saying is that maybe we should just look at Dance Music now in a "hobby" light and just concentrate on being "weekend players".

Damn it, I'm worried I tell you!

Ps - god, this post makes me sound like some bitter jack. But, I'm not honest!

Message 5/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

nk

Link?: Link

Hi Witch,

My two cents worth - With the advent of MP3 and the internet music is readily available to all for virtually nothing, hence EMI being the first to put commercial music from well known artists up.

This doesnt detract from what we are doing, far from it, it actually opens things up for us, more people listening to our music because it appeals to them. Once people find an artist that they like, they hang on to them and pursue their output.

Think of it as a new dawn my friend. None of us are going to make it big time and own huge mansions, helicopters and the rest but what we are going to do is touch the lives of our listeners, who may only number in the hundreds.

Isnt it better to enrich one person's life rather than no-ones?

Message 6/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

k

% figures can be so easily arranged to prove various points tho surely? - take political polls as an example - like if total output of dance 12" vinyl has increased over the last 10 years a smaller percentage sold this year might be a healthy year from further back? - Rather than look at percentage 'drops' I'd rather see annual total sales for the last 10 years as a qualifier

Message 7/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Worried Witch

S'true K. But I'm not sure why someone working in vinyl distribution would rubbish his own job. That's all. I think he scared too.

Message 8/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Filthy McNasty

Worried Witch, Remember this ?

Close your eyes and go back in time...Before the Internet...Before
semi-automatics, joyriders and crack....Before X-Box, SEGA or Super
Nintendo ...
Way back ........ I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park.

The corner shop. Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping. Handstands.
Football an old can. Fingerbob. Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and
Dennis the menace.
Roly Poly. Hula Hoops, jumping the stream, building dams. The smell
of the sun
and fresh cut grass. Bazooka Joe bubble gum. An ice cream cone on a
warm
summer night from the van that plays a tune Chocolate or vanilla or
strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball.

Watching Saturday morning cartoons, short commercials or the flicks.
Childrens Film Foundation, The Double Deckers, Red Hand Gang, The
Tomorrow
People, Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'? - or staying up
for
Doctor Who.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed
going somewhere. Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings.
White dog poo.

Sticky fingers. Playing Marbles. Ball bearings. Big 'uns and Little
'uns.
Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro. Climbing trees.
Building
igloos out of snow banks.

Walking to school, no matter what the weather. Running till you were
out of
breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed.
Pillow
fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause
for
giggles. Being tired from playing....remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water
balloons
were the ultimate weapon. Football cards in the spokes transformed
any bike
into a motorcycle. Choppers and Grifters. Eating raw jelly. Orange
squash
ice pops.

Remember when...There were two types of trainers - girls and boys,
and
Dunlop Green flash - and the only time you wore them at school was
for P.E.
You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It
wasn't odd
to have two or three "best" friends. You didn't sleep a wink on
Christmas
eve.

When nobody owned a pure-bred dog, 25p was decent pocket money,
Curly
Whirlys. Space Dust. Toffo's. Top Trumps. You'd reach into a muddy
gutter
for a penny.

Nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there. Any
parent could
discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries and
nobody,
not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the
fate that
awaited a misbehaving student at home. Basically, we were in fear
for our
lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc.
Parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! and some of us
are
still afraid of them.

Remember when .... Decisions were made by going " Ip Dip Dog sh!t ".

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues
were
handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly". The worst thing you
could
catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your
day was
having to sit next to one.

It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog' wasn't an Olympic event.

Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult.
Nobody was
prettier than Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
Taking
drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin. Ice cream was
considered
a basic food group.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true. Older siblings were
the worst
tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED. Pass
this on
to anyone who may need a break from their "grown up" life...

"I DOUBLE-DARE YOU"

Message 9/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

cheddar

Link?:  Link

quality chinny ramble F

Message 10/24                 Date: 06-May-03  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

man called clay

it's like this....neon polka-dotted bell-bottoms are no longer quite as in as they used to be. and so now....as with many things.....large space consuming and vastly over-priced bits of plastic which often contain questionable material are now finding themselves less in-vogue than say.....two years ago. only dj's seemed to be able to afford vinyl and how many mixes do your really need and how do we know which is the one we wanted anyways?
the vinyl 12" format is dying for a reason. sure....it'll always be here for those who can afford to produce it and buy it....but....
that just ain't most of us anymore.
and i always felt that those who kept their regular jobs had more interesting music.....
much of the time...rather than those who become so isolated and forgetful what it meant for those of us who have to work....are feeling when we plop down on some of the same-old drivel. no wonder we wanna roll our own.
and that's not to say all vinyl is bad. but you're gonna have to get tough. real tough.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum