0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: child's play

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18                 Date: 31-Mar-03  @  04:04 AM   -   child's play

xoxos

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

this runs without error!

it's an 8 step drum sequencer, for children.. "my first drum machine.." try it out! the sound is via directx.. tempo gets a bit wobbly when i change it, but doesn't crash! drum samples are from those loops mr. wet had on a page some time ago.

let me know if your system likes it! no install, just an .exe, source code included. took me about 3, 4 hours.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/18                 Date: 31-Mar-03  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: child's play

sox

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Nice idea but it needs a bit more (imho) to keep it interesting, even for kids.
2 bars long, maybe with a symbol (or something) of the drum the colour represents. And a counter (i.e. 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +)or something so they can tie in the rhythms with numbers?

sox

Message 3/18                 Date: 31-Mar-03  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: child's play

steve

that's pretty neat x, works fine on xp pro here with an intel chipset thing.

sounds like there's a bit of swing on the timing there? or maybe the hh wasn't cropped right at the start of the sample or summing.

Message 4/18                 Date: 31-Mar-03  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: child's play

xoxos

it's the directx in all likelihood.. the language i'm using has subroutines for directx, which allow neat things like pitch transposition, editing start point, et c. without having to write codes to rip the .wav data apart (next week.. gotta make a loop point editor) but it sorta reminds me of the way soft sequencers were last millennium. i am going to try turning the clock off when you change the tempo.. that might stabilise it a bit, by producing less stuff the timer has to sort out. haven't tried it with the non-dx timer yet.. my guess is that it probably won't improve much, being an abandoned basic beta and all. some nice person suggested delphi, but i'm not prepared to deal with borland's free languages atm.

sox - thanks for the feedback! i was thinking about a mini 'reason,' with 2 instruments over an octave or something.. edit 2 or 3 patterns and pop them in 8 slots to make a 'song.' i would like to make this something that kids can benefit from, even if it's just a temporary use>perception of structure thing. i like the beats/numeration idea. have to add optional voice and big flashing number.

please send me pictures of baby elephants and raccoons wearing bonnets and mittens and stuff.

Message 5/18                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  03:51 AM   -   RE: child's play

Paully

Link?:  No link

hmmm doesn't work for me. Built for XP?

Message 6/18                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: child's play

milan

hehe cute... its working over here no problems.

yeah, mini reason for kids seems like a great idea. good luck with the work.

Message 7/18                 Date: 03-Apr-03  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: child's play

sox

We use animal imagery with young kids to create beat patterns.
Example:
Cat = 1/4 notes
Rhine = 1/8 notes
Elephant = triplets
Alligator = 1/16 notes

so the pictures represent beats and mixing and matching pictures creates grooves. After a bit we substitute sticks for the pictures and then introduce notation after that.

sox

Message 8/18                 Date: 03-Apr-03  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: child's play

xoxos

erm.. can't you just teach them how to rename files in batches??  *

*as a courtesy to the millions of rightfully disparaged individuals who seem to constantly attest to a complete inability to perceive meaning in my communications, the following phrase may be substituted.. "my, that's a lot to do! hey, i'm working on a renamer app."**

**this doesn't mean you, sox, it's those thick people.. i know they're out there... just milling about and bumping into things..

Message 9/18                 Date: 03-Apr-03  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: child's play

errata

Link?:  No link

had to move the exe app into the folder with the samples, after I unzipped there were lots of folders there... shrug

Otherwise ran wonderfully on my windows 2000 with the AMD...

I'd like the ability to place "notes" in more positions, for syncopation... if it did that I'd sit her and play with it all day!

e

Message 10/18                 Date: 03-Apr-03  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: child's play

bradelectro

you used my samples? COOL!!!!

sh*t I'm on a mac here for the next 4 hours...i
cant wait to get home and play with it!

play w/ the proggie I mean ;-)

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum