0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  05:51 PM   -   Producing has made me a bad bad man

timothyallanmusic

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

So I saw Tiesto last night, there were hundreds of people there. Everyone was dancing their asses off, workin up a sweat, and having a good time.
Where was I? On the balcony observing, and not feelin it at all.

All he was doing was hopping around, and dropping the bass out about every two songs. He had 3 huge projectors that played a looped video that had his name spinning around all night long. The kicker was the 4 sound guys he had. 2 Huuuge mix desks, 3 laptops, and some other machine that looked right outta star trek. They were constantly adjusting stuff on the desks, meanwhile Tiesto danced around his decks some more.

2 years ago, I would have been up there having a good ol time with the rest of the folks. Last night, all I wanted to do was go home and never see that shit again. lol, I am SO JADED now. It was so commercialized and absolutely phoney. I even got in shit from my girlfriend cause I was being 'boring' heheh.

My point? Producing is becoming a very big eye opener for me, both good and bad. On one hand, I love making my own tunes, and having myself and other people enjoy them. On the other hand, I now look at 'live' shows, and DJ's in a totally different light. I have MUCH more respect for people who play their OWN music out, and don't have to rely on a 5 man sound team on $100k worth of gear to make someone elses $10 record sound phat.

Does this happen to everyone who decides to go down the yellow brick road of music production? Where you wake up and realize a lot of the things that got you interested in dance/electronic music in the first place now makes you sick and angry?

-angry tim

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

errata

Link?:  No link

Hahahahahahahaha... funny, YES! I know I stopped just enjoying music. I listen for clarity in the mix, I listen to each sound and how it's used... I Evaluate! And have a difficult time not doing that!

I had a friend who got into music making a few years ago, at the time he was sooooo anamoured of the scene and musicians. Wanted some advice... I ruined his life by saying, "Listen to music, and really pay attention to what the artist does." Now he complains just like you... and me... and everyone I know that does this...

hehehe

e

Message 3/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

influx

Link?:  Link

"2 years ago, I would have been up there having a good ol time with the rest of the folks. Last night, all I wanted to do was go home and never see that shit again. lol, I am SO JADED now. It was so commercialized and absolutely phoney. I even got in shit from my girlfriend cause I was being 'boring' heheh."

I dont think its jaded, man. its just that...oz has been exposed, and the bar raised.

you now know a LOT more of how this stuff comes about and the mystery is gone.

when I got into electronic music...I would listen and think DAMN how did they make that sound?

now...even if I cant always reproduce it, I understand how its done for the most part and its just not as mysterious.

but there are still tracks that get me hard..just not as many.

its not "jaded" tho...youre more discerning now.

DONT lose the love, though, man. YOu cant pick everything apart...despite how fake shit can be there is still very REAL stuff out there. Your lot now is to find it (or better yet, make it!)

Message 4/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

timothyallanmusic

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that the music sucks, it is the delivery of it. I’ve developed a changed perception of what I think a ‘live’ performance should be.

I’m not going to start a DJ vs. X argument, but I am sure I would have had a much better time if the guy on stage was doing his own thing, playing his own songs, without having a couple tables full of sound engineers. It takes the magic out of it, like the guy is a puppet, not really putting his soul into it. Maybe it is also a little jealousy come to think of it. He was controlling the crowd, mixed it flawlessly, but none of the songs were ‘his’ (actually, one was I think heheh). I bought an MMT-8 two days ago, for the specific purpose of using it for some live stuff down the road. Even just playing a house party for an hour would put me on cloud 9 for months! But I would be doing my own stuff, bearing my soul so to speak.

I can also see the other side of the coin too… you get a much more varied selection of music from a DJ, usually much longer sets, most of the songs you are familiar with etc etc. In hindsight, I should have gone with the attitude of “enjoy it for what it’s worth”, sucked it up and had a good time… but whatever, what’s done is done.. and now I am paying for it by being reaaaly hungover at work right now

tim

Message 5/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

errata

"you get a much more varied selection of music from a DJ, usually much longer sets"

I dunno, Most Dj's play very similar tracks. I know Dj's whose whole point is to make it feel like one big piece of singular music. Live artists CAN be just as varied... and personaly, I could play all night and the DJ would run out of records!!! Just start makin it up as you go, yo! don't let it be limited to what you did at home... that's the point of a live set! I complain that I don't get ENOUGH time. Most often it's just an hour, more or less... shrug

Influx, that's good medicine there. It's true most tracks aren't sooooo great once you know how it's done... but the ones that still move you move you HARD! Cause you know how it's done, hehehe...

e

Message 6/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

xoxos

shit from the g/f.. heh heh.. "why can't you be more like everyone else so we have a nice, uniform crop?"

people talk about thinking outside the box. well, i reckon i know how i rate.. i've foregone box for years! and then everyone's trying to get *in* the box! then they want to say they're thinking!

!!!

(nrn)

i've done this bit before, haven't i.

Message 7/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

errata

But if i start in my box and work my way into another box aren't I still outside "the" box first referenced?...

e

Message 8/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Mindspawn

Naw... yer just about to get the shit kicked out of you by box1 (box1=g/f)...=)

Peace

Message 9/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  10:26 PM     Edit: 12-Dec-02  |  10:28 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Steve Roughley

I know alot of people here don't agree with what I am about to say, but this is the exact reason that I can still go mad to progressive music (prog-house, nu-breaks, etc.). It still has that magic whenever a fresh new grounbreaker is dropped. The progressive scene is about progressing, funnily enough. There are sooooo many tracks being produced that keep pushing things. And I just love that feeling when a DJ like Breeder, or Digweed drop a brand new track with brandnew sounds and brand new grooves, like when I heard Funk D'Void's Diabla for the first time. FANTASTIC     One of the great benefits of being a producer, is some of these tracks are damned well made, which really makes the clubbing epxerience even more amazing!

Steve.

Message 10/31                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

bedwyr

i find getting ratted and jumping around like a loon to be much more enjoyable than worrying about the snare sample.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum