0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: everyones doing it!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  01:18 PM     Edit: 30-Nov-02  |  01:20 PM   -   everyones doing it!!!

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I am starting to get very annoyed with all of the software piracy that is going on. Yesterday at my university, two of my lecturers were talking about where to find cracks for this and that, and I'm thinking, am I an idiot for paying??? I don't know if it is jealousy or what, but I have paid thousands, THOUSANDS!, for software (again, am I an idiot?), leaving me broke alot of the time, while so many people are just stealing and still have money to go out to clubs and have fun, and it really pisses me off to hear of people doing this.

This is part of the reason that Emagic moved to Apple, and badly affected users such as myself who have paid ALOT of money for this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I have no major moral hangups about it, but what happened to supporting those who provide you with the products that you use? I actually feel quite screwed over!

I'm sorry if it sounds like I am winging, I don't mean to. Any input from other paying users would be appreciated.

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

milan

Link?: Link

yup. everybody is doing it.   i´ve seen professional studios using cracked plugins, and i´ve even heard of a studio which ran on 100% pirated software as an interim solution untill their paid for system arrived   if you ask me, untill you arent making any money out of it i wouldnt stress it too much. and if you, then its only fair that you pay some money back.

Message 3/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

xoxos

well, that's humanity for ya. one group charges completely unreasonable amounts, and the other group don't have a shred of decency. hey check out my forked tongue.

i'm sorry, but you can buy a goddamn rabbit for $5, i don't see how someone's analog saturation emulation can be worth $5000, i don't think that equates. especially since it's dead. obviously the smart thing to do is buy two rabbits and wait a few years to buy s/w. you can trade them one for one in a while, since you can't grow shit to eat in a plug-in.

Message 4/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

V

true dat x

I've paid for well over $1500 in plug-ins and host apps (waves alone was $800).

I've taken a new stance though because of getting burned (buying stuff that I later found out not to suit needs or is a POS!! like Mobius.) I take my time, a long time, then I purchase.

heh heh, i was chatting with a cat online, and he just took the mick that i paid for my waves.

Message 5/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

Pongoid

don't you ever read the cracks, even for installation? "Try this out, and if you like it, but the software!"

If you're not making any money with the product, you've used it once or twice to try it out, decided that there are better tools for you out there, then why the fuck should you be anything but frustrated with yourself for having made the choice of buying something before you were sure about it? Let this be a lesson in resource management, my boy!

Ape

Message 6/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  08:59 PM     Edit: 30-Nov-02  |  11:11 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

influx

I hear ya Steve.

definitely a tough one. Ive paid for all the software I use. Except wavelab which was given to me but is still a legit version.

but...cracks? damn. i give people shit regularly because most of em are just gluttonous fucks with no clue whatsoever ("I have cubase, sonar, logic, protools and 1000000000000000 plugins, now what do I do?") and the other smaller percentage just refuses to pay for things.

why should they be free?

why should someone CRACK something like junglist which has a proven track record and costs only $60??!?!!?

but then...the overpriced shit like waves? $800?

"But...what you get for that money is equal to $100k in studio gear"

right, but it COST how much to make?

I suspect the profit margin is ludicrous in these fields.

but..they supply useful tools, and we live in a system that encourages people to raise their price to the maximum possible.

I dunno man...the fact that lecturers were referring to cracked versions is SICK. they should be reprimanded for such nonsense. I mean...college students get really good deals on most software.

what it comes down to is a sense of entitlement. Hardly anyone seems to think they should have to pay for anything. It should all be handed to them with no effort on their part.

sad

Message 7/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  10:19 PM     Edit: 30-Nov-02  |  10:22 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

Mindspawn

I don't have any problems paying for what I use. However, given how the s/w companies treat their legal customers (dongles, activation codes, etc., etc.), I've turned to using cracks in some cases, simply so I can get on with my work. Folks like Antares and Waves in particular use the "safety" features from PACE that make being a legal user a real pain in the ass. Youu'd think they'd take a cue from folks like Sonar, simple serial number copy protection, no muss, no fuss, and they sell more audio s/w than anyone... go figure.

The last time I did a OS upgrade it took me almost two weeks to finally get my legal copy of Autotune sorted. I've now located a crack that I'll use the next time, simply cos I dunna think a paying customer should have to jump through all these hoops just to use something I bought legally. Could you imagine if hardware/synth manufacturers did something like that.

"Sorry client, I wanted to reset my Manley Vox box to factory settings, but I haven't got the activation codes yet, so you can try back tomorrow..."

THAT is why hardware will remain superior to s/w in my world, at least for a while longer... I just turn it on and it works.

Pizza

Message 8/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  10:34 PM     Edit: 30-Nov-02  |  10:36 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

bedwyr

italics off

Message 9/49                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

Def Z

Cracks are useful to try stuff out, but you should also pay for what you use. Sorry Milan, while generally I agree with you on stuff, but I think you're WAY out of line here. If you don't make money off of it you should pay for it? Huh? That's some of the most twisted logic I've heard yet. I don't make money off of LOTS of things I buy. Software is no different.

I've paid for most of the software I use, and the stuff I haven't paid for I'm trying. I will agree with Ape in that I don't want to screw myself paying $300 for a program that I don't like.

Message 10/49                 Date: 01-Dec-02  @  12:56 AM   -   RE: everyones doing it!!!

influx

Link?:  Link

theres a big uproar right now over at cubase.net

a guy DLs a crack and cant get it to run...so he posts at the cubase forum?

and then has the nerve to tell people to f-off when they dont want to help him?

I just dont understand it. When i got into this and someone gave me a crack of VST 3.7..I realized full well that I was on my own and didnt need ask anyone for help...

then I bought 5.0..and..hmmm....still learned it on my own 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 49 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum