0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: WSFT and other rants

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  02:07 AM   -   WSFT and other rants

BJT

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I know we occasionally get the stray come in and ask "What Synth For Trance" but I have a story....

Walked past this music shop the other day and remembered how they f*cked me over years ago, I went in to buy an midi converter for my PC. Trusting the guy I bought an Opcode one, on the way out one of the younger sales guys said "Yeah but is he using Win98 or Win95", the senior guy responded with "His using Windows 95" and gave him a shutup look. It costed me a bit of dough and then 6 months later guess what, I upgraded to Win98 and found that Opcode weren't writing drivers for Win98. In short I was suckered and I was angry and hurt and felt disenchanted till I found this site.

Anyway point being a little advice early on can save some kids alot of hard earned dough.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  05:53 AM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

errata

Nice point, I've always been into DT for the community. But it's very useful to have a place to ask hard questions and get good answers. Sometimes a hard question for a new guy is easy for the rest, that's all.

e

Message 3/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  07:45 AM     Edit: 12-Nov-02  |  07:47 AM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

psylichon

Link?: Link

Someone just needs to accept the responsibility to cut and paste a standard response for "newbie" questions. This response should include gentle language to explain why no one is answering the question and to direct the person to the answer without harsh language. We can't turn people away just because they're asking beginner questions. We may not want to help, but it's pretty easy to post up some links for some killer beginner sites. We know the ones by now.

Too many times I see people giving shit just because a question has been answered before. People don't always do a search when they come to a new forum. Welcome to the internet. Those people aren't assholes, sometimes they're 55-year-old fathers trying to get their kid's Casio talking to his copy of "Rock Along with Aerosmith." Just try to think of your dad trying to get his head around a soft-synth host and you'll see what I mean. Be considerate is all I'm saying...

psylichon

Message 4/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

xoxos

a music store guy sold me an opcode at that time too. cost me $100 at the end of 98.. i've spent around $7k at that store and the bastard still doesn't consider me expensive enough to give service too.. i called and asked him to look something up for me once and he told me he couldn't look anything up because he was on the way to the eye clinic for eye surgery right then from looking things up.

but that's how we learn how shitty, corrupt and evil humans really are so it's good. well it would be if people didn't decide to be shitty, corrupt and evil too when they discover thsi.

btw a friend of mine (really!) uses that opcode now, with w98.. it works, but the driver have to be reinstalled if you mess with the system at all/look at it sideways

Message 5/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

BJT

Yep music store guys - I mostly hate them.

Message 6/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

pict

I've worked in a couple of music shops years ago mainly as a way of getting cheaper gear most of the staff get paid crap and you'd be surprised how many complete and utter arseholes you have to contend with on a daily basis so I have some sympathy with the staff having been on the other side.

9.15 am Saturday morning(me with bad hangover)

Customer appears at counter
"I want a scratchplate screw for a 1962 strat"

"Here you are that will be two new pence please"

"Hold on let me look at it are you sure this is a genuine 1962 screw?"

"Forgive me I have erred that is in fact a 1958 screw hold on and I'll pop downstairs and dig out a genuine 1962 screw for you"

2 mins later
"Here you are"(exact same screw in hand)

"Could I have 3 more?"

(supressing a sigh)"Certainly"

2mins later
"Here you go that'll be 8 pence please"

"Those ones look different"

"I assure you that they're exactly the same"

"Are you sure?"

"As sure as I can be without actually having manufactured them myself"

"Are you trying to be funny?"

"No I'm trying to sell you 8 pence worth of screws"

"I want to speak to the manager"

"I am the manager what do you want to speak to me about"

"I want to speak to the owner"

"He's not here"

"This isn't the end of this you know!"
Storms off in a filthy mood.

I actually had this conversation with a customer this same guy later wrote to Guitarist magazine and castigated the staff of the shop all over 8 fucking pence.I found it very difficult at the time not to leap over the counter and beat him to death with a bass guitar.These sorts of incidents happen fairly frequently when working in music shops(in my own experience of course).

Message 7/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

99devils

Yeah, well.. I've seen too many people pimping Danelectro guitars at GC to kids who don't know better because the margin is good on 'em..

Music store people = used car salesmen. For the most part. And most of 'em wouldn't know their asses from their elbows.

-Craig

Message 8/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

milan

yeah, hehe... i always phone and ask for the manager of studio department at the store where i shop, because i know he knows his shit unlike two morons at the counter who act totaly disinterested when you come with a question. i actually wrote to him recently asking if i could work for him stating that i was very satisfied with his services in the past as a customer and would help improve his team  

Message 9/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

errata

Oh ho... I have educated many a music store employee. Some know what they're on about but most do NOT!

Once I was buying an EFX processor at guitar center and I had to hook it up to the synth to try it out. The guy in Keyboard/pro audio didn't know how to run the audio to a processor. Just an example.

And guys, it's your own fault if a music shop takes advantage of you. Never rely on the advice of the person who stands to make a profit from you... do your own research on gear!

e

Message 10/26                 Date: 12-Nov-02  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: WSFT and other rants

damballah

Link?:  Link

lol@pict

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum