0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: virus filter

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/32                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  03:37 AM   -   virus filter

liquidphire

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Something I noticed while playing with the Virus - when I have one of the filters' Cutoff fully open and I increase Resonance I don't hear that sharp, bright (resononant?) sound as I do on other synths (Supernova, Waldorf Q & JP-8000) using a saw wave, instead the sound volume seems to be attenuated slightly. Can someone tell me why is this happening? Does the Virus have a different filter structure then those other synths I mentioned? I like that Saw sound with a fully open filter and Resonance at 90%, does that mean I can't get it with Virus?

Thanks in advance.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/32                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  04:04 AM   -   RE: virus filter

influx

wait..what? are you sure youre adjusting the resonance for the right filter? I mean...with the filter totally open it seems like you wouldnt hear THAT much anyway..especially on a saw?

dunno...rez seems quite rezzy on mine!

Message 3/32                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  05:43 AM   -   RE: virus filter

liquidphire

Yeah influx, I made sure I adjusted the Res for the right filter. I don't know, on those other synths, the effect created using this technique is quite audible. Can you please post a sample if this effect, influx? If it's not much trouble use the following settings (I used these on other synths too): 12db LP filter (SER4), Cutoff 100%, Saw Wave, OSC Mix=Osc1, Attack=0 Sustain=100 Release=0 (for both Filter and Amp envelopes), Filter Amount=64, Filter Mix=Filter1.
After you do all of that sweep the Resonance.

Thanks!

Message 4/32                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: virus filter

influx

whoa. heh..uh...thats pushin it! 

Message 5/32                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  06:32 AM   -   RE: virus filter

psylichon

ehehehm, no shit.

Are you talking about the "whistle" you get, like when you crank a supernova? When you say the sound is "attenuated" do you mean actually quieter or just darker, like the filter isn't open the whole way?

I know the Nova has a parameter (Q norm amount) that can dynamically control the output of the filter depending on how much resonance you set (kind of like pseudo-compression... resonance squawks can get really loud). Perhaps the Virus has something similar? Just guessing here...

psylichon

Message 6/32                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: virus filter

99devils

Yeah, there's only a certain amount of headroom available. If you're cranking the resonance, then you're lowering the headroom (the "boosted" resonant frequency is sucking up all the space). Now, if you have the filter fully open, that's above the frequency the Virus is able to create. Lower the cutoff, and you'll hear the resonant frequency come into the range where it's audible.

At least that's the explanation I've come up with  

-Craig

Message 7/32                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  05:58 AM   -   RE: virus filter

Scorpion

Link?:  No link

99devils is correct. If you have the filter cut off opened fully then what will happen is when you bring the resonance up All your doing is quiting the sound like the saw wave. This especially happens when your at 24 db mode.

One thing I do know is that all the VA's accept the Virus will not self oscillate. Perhaps that is why those other filters sound differently with high res.

Now if you bring down the cutoff just enough to were you can hear the resonance peak then you can hear the resonance gaining. Otherwise your full cutoff peak is higher then the res peak.

Now if you can hear the res peak over the full cutoff then like you can hear on the Jp 8000/8080 then that probably means that if you can give the res enough gain you can self oscillate.

BTW Does anyone know exactly what the Virus's filter is modeled after?

Message 8/32                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: virus filter

psylichon

Scorpion, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to insult you here, but half of what you said was wrong.

A 24 dB/octave filter would allow more of the saw wave through than a 2- or 3-pole filter.

A s/nova's filter will self oscillate. I don't own any other VA's, but I'd reckon most others self oscillate, too.

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

psylichon

Message 9/32                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: virus filter

liquidphire

Thanx for the reply everyone. On the Virus, when I have resonance all the way up and I don't open the filter all the way, I do hear that resonant sound. Now does anybody know why on those other synths (S.Nova, JP-8000, etc.) I can hear that same effect with the filter fully open?

Thanks again!

P.S. BTW, this isn't of any importance, I'm just curious  

Message 10/32                 Date: 25-Sep-02  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: virus filter

bedwyr

Maybe coz it's resonating at frequencies you don't hear (or recognize) why don't you record a long note with the filter fully open, the turn up the resonance. You could look at it in wavelab or soundforge and _see_ if anything changes over time, if you can see a difference probably means it's affecting frequencies above what you can hear. I know my top end hearing has gone  

Also, those other synths might have the cutoff only go up to 16khz or something.

(it's all guesswork)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum